Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

@Stefan Mikes her is a sob story for you.
picked up the Vado today. They changed The chain. They used KMC top of the line so all was good on that. The mystery of me needing the new chain ring is solved.
a noise like walking on the wooden floor is coming from the front chain ring.
his explanation was the chain ring is worn out. The old chain was looser so it wasn’t making noise. The new chain is tighter hence the noise.
the chain ring is ordered but takes two weeks to get.
I rode the bike (20 miles).
the noise is very annoying.
not sure I can ride it for two weeks with this noise.
will be calling to see if they can expedite the shipping.
On the other note @Sierratim they had no clue about the new anti theft security feature. The owner called Specialized and left a message so hopefully we will get an answer soon. Hope🤞🤞
Checked my Vado chain today after cleaning it. It's still in spec, but I'll be changing it out in the next week or so as is my normal Spring practice. With just over 1,000 miles and regular maintenance I'm hoping to avoid replacing the chain ring as well. I'll know soon enough. Got 4 chains to change out...🤔

So I should be thankful my LBS is about 1km from my home?
Yes you should :D In my case it could be 200 km one way or more, depending where I lived. It is some 30 km one way though.
Now I've just realised Americans don't talk distances but the trip time. OK, it is 1 hour round trip now during the covid. The Giant LBS is at the same driving time distance although in the opposite part of Warsaw.

We're having unpleasant weather now which is frustrating for the end of May. Having as many as three e-bikes and feeling unable to ride out sucks. Today, picking up a remotely controlled handlebar display (Giant RideControl EVO) which is costly compared to the similar Specialized TCD used in Levos, Kenevos and Creos. And buying a water bottle.

Yes you should :D In my case it could be 200 km one way or more, depending where I lived. It is some 30 km one way though.
Now I've just realised Americans don't talk distances but the trip time. OK, it is 1 hour round trip now during the covid. The Giant LBS is at the same driving time distance although in the opposite part of Warsaw.

We're having unpleasant weather now which is frustrating for the end of May. Having as many as three e-bikes and feeling unable to ride out sucks. Today, picking up a remotely controlled handlebar display (Giant RideControl EVO) which is costly compared to the similar Specialized TCD used in Levos, Kenevos and Creos. And buying a water bottle.
Woke up to more rain this AM, 3rd day in a row. Fresh snow up on the mountain. But we're riding tomorrow with 80F temps. Spring in the Sierras...😎

Don’t want to rub it in. Sunny San Diego...in 70s. Everyday is riding weather.
Already have 1,000 miles on the new motor that I got in March.

Attachments

• FB267822-E949-4B2F-8EF6-2484085318F8.jpeg
    FB267822-E949-4B2F-8EF6-2484085318F8.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 234
Back in my motorcycling days, I always said that, especially since I did a lot of solo touring, I wouldn't want a bike that I couldn't pick up my myself if it fell over. I pretty well stuck to this until my BMW R1100RT which was heavy in itself and even moreso when loaded for touring. I think that my one incident with it when I needed the quick support of a motorist when it rolled off the sidestand at a gas station was one factor in it being the last motorcycle that I owned.

What I am now thinking in terms of e-bikes is that I don't want to own one that I can't load by myself onto my rack, and with my recent back flareup I'm finding the Vado to be at the edge of that limit. Fortunately, my rack these days is a Thule XT-2 that actually comes with a small fold-up ramp that I have not used up to now but may soon have to try. I never thought I'd get to this point, but age and reality can't be held off forever!

Looking at what's out there now, if I had it to do over I might look closely at the Vado SL simply for its significant weight savings over the regular Vado. But I knew that all it would take for them to come out with a better choice was to buy what was available at the time and wait a couple of months... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've no problems with Mission Control. Every time I call they give me a release without delay:).

Almost 700 miles, no problems adjusting parameters or with anything, I'd say working as designed.

I’ve been there many many times with some 30,000 kms. I can tell you that the chainring is such a critical part that I’ve ordered 3 in advance. It took 5 weeks to get them. It is not only noise you should be worrying about, but erratic shifting. Once your chain stretches it makes the teeth sharp and pointed and the profile becomes lower. Any new chain you put on will be misaligned with the teeth and this will cause your rear derailleur to skip systematically in the most extreme cases. I’ve been there... and had to put back on an old chain to keep using the bike at one point.

I’ve attached old and new chainrings for educational purposes. Hopefully it will help someone.

Old:
View attachment 52983
New:
View attachment 52984
What is the normal time and mileage for this to happen?
I have approximately 2,500 miles.
thanks for good info.
what kind of bike do you have?

I've no problems with Mission Control. Every time I call they give me a release without delay:).

Almost 700 miles, no problems adjusting parameters or with anything, I'd say working as designed.
Works well. Except for Smart Assist function.
have you used this function?

Once your chain stretches it makes the teeth sharp and pointed and the profile becomes lower. Any new chain you put on will be misaligned with the teeth and this will cause your rear derailleur to skip systematically in the most extreme cases. I’ve been there... and had to put back on an old chain to keep using the bike at one point.

Old:
View attachment 52983
New:

Yep, the dreaded 'shark's tooth' pattern. We saw a lot of these at the local bicycle kitchen. As you say, a new chain won't fix the problems, it often just makes it worse. New chain ring(s) and a new chain is the only fix. New chains every Spring for our bikes.

Yep, the dreaded 'shark's tooth' pattern. We saw a lot of these at the local bicycle kitchen. As you say, a new chain won't fix the problems, it often just makes it worse. New chain ring(s) and a new chain is the only fix. New chains every Spring for our bikes.
I am going to search the web to see if I can find a chain ring to be delivered faster than LBS (two weeks).
What part should I look for I know is 48T Custom Alloy but any specific size or part number?
Thanks for help.

I am going to search the web to see if I can find a chain ring to be delivered faster than LBS (two weeks).
What part should I look for I know is 48T Custom Alloy but any specific size or part number?
Thanks for help.
This thread has suggestions on replacement chain rings; https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/chain-ring-tooth-selection.33187/ . Deckas rings are suggested in several posts. You're looking for a wide-narrow 104 bcd 48t ring. The wide-narrow feature is very important to minimize chain drops.

Some posts reported long lead times on these rings.

My Trance is at the Giant LBS (installation of the RideControl EVO display, which to my surprise is a wired device). Meanwhile, I made a two mile ride to see how my Vado behaved after the display upgrade. The default assistance levels are lower than the previous defaults, no worries, Mission Control works fine! I especially like the Rider Power live display; it seems I'm not that weak as I thought before ;)

Now considering replacement (at least temporary) of my air-suspension dropper seat post with the Kinekt 2.1, which I've kept for better times :) Perhaps it is the right time for experiment?

Last edited:
This thread has suggestions on replacement chain rings; https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/chain-ring-tooth-selection.33187/ . Deckas rings are suggested in several posts. You're looking for a wide-narrow 104 bcd 48t ring. The wide-narrow feature is very important to minimize chain drops.

Some posts reported long lead times on these rings.
Thanks @Sierratim you are correct. Very difficult part to locate.
I might have to rely and hope that LBS can get the part in two weeks as they stated.
I contact Prixis Works who makes this and they don’t stock. Only Specialized.
Others don’t have either.

Thanks @Sierratim you are correct. Very difficult part to locate.
I might have to rely and hope that LBS can get the part in two weeks as they stated.
I contact Prixis Works who makes this and they don’t stock. Only Specialized.
Others don’t have either.
Specialized just responded about the chain ring. They carry it but has to be ordered by LBS as it is more involved according to them.
no one including the manufacturer (Praxis) have the chain ring.
Those of you who might need this in future should ask your LBS to order.
I don’t want to ride my bike due to this annoying sound until I get it repaired with new chain ring (at least not often).

Back