Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Specialized just responded about the chain ring. They carry it but has to be ordered by LBS as it is more involved according to them.
no one including the manufacturer (Praxis) have the chain ring.
Those of you who might need this in future should ask your LBS to order.
I don’t want to ride my bike due to this annoying sound until I get it repaired with new chain ring (at least not often).
I'm a bit perplexed by the noise you have. The chain was worn and it worn the chain ring as well. Now a new chain is making a noise from the same chain ring. I would have expected looser tolerances that might cause a chain drop rather than tighter tolerances that generate noise. Did the LBS explain this to your satisfaction?

You might want to take a look at the chain on the chain ring and be sure the narrow teeth are in the narrow chain slots, etc. Normally you can't install the chain incorrectly but with a worn ring the new chain might have been fitted 1/2 link off with narrow slots over wide teeth and wide slots over narrow teeth. The narrow slots over wide teeth could be causing the noise. Worth a look...🤔

I'm a bit perplexed by the noise you have. The chain was worn and it worn the chain ring as well. Now a new chain is making a noise from the same chain ring. I would have expected looser tolerances that might cause a chain drop rather than tighter tolerances that generate noise. Did the LBS explain this to your satisfaction?

You might want to take a look at the chain on the chain ring and be sure the narrow teeth are in the narrow chain slots, etc. Normally you can't install the chain incorrectly but with a worn ring the new chain might have been fitted 1/2 link off with narrow slots over wide teeth and wide slots over narrow teeth. The narrow slots over wide teeth could be causing the noise. Worth a look...🤔
Narrow slot is on the wide tooth. Please see the pic.
can I change this?

Attachments

• 3DC6DCFE-56C5-40FB-A7FB-8C9635947683.jpeg
    3DC6DCFE-56C5-40FB-A7FB-8C9635947683.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 345
I woke up in the middle of the night (it happens to me) so I can write something of interest to you, fellow riders of the Vado.

Sometimes, my Vado produces strange noise on the ride. As the bike has been completely silent so far, I took a closer look at the bike post-ride. It turned out the long front mudflap has deflected during the transport in the car, caught the front tyre and started rubbing it. Part of the flap was already "eaten" by friction, oh, the poor tyre... I have straightened the flap out with my hand but that might happen again... Ouch.

Ok @Sierratim you are the GOD of bikes. I removed the teeth so wide tooth is in wide slot. It seemed the problem and the sound went away. Went for a test ride. Now the chain drops when I change gear to the lowest. (Biggest cog).
Do you think the chain is too big?
I am a bit confused now after watching some pictures. Don’t know which is wide and which is narrow. I thought it refers to the tooth top but looks like there is wider and narrower base of the tooth. See picture with green ring. If that is correct then LBS has correctly installed.

Attachments

• 8A24EA57-D7C2-490B-8645-2055AB840FF4.jpeg
    8A24EA57-D7C2-490B-8645-2055AB840FF4.jpeg
    393.4 KB · Views: 295
From my experience, the wide tooth is centered, it goes in the narrow link, the narrow tooth is offset, it goes in the wide link.

When taking my chain off for cleaning when purchased new, if you get it wrong the chain will ride too high on the crank gear, don't force it on. My first experience with narrow/wide gear.

Wife does not ride solo anymore. Age related I guess. We had a nice Cannondale tandem and we got too old, grumpy, and weak for that so we sold that. The other option for her to ride is electric tandem..

You might go for joint riding on something like this but I'd choose elektric version:

1590157020752.png

I am a bit confused now after watching some pictures. Don’t know which is wide and which is narrow. I thought it refers to the tooth top but looks like there is wider and narrower base of the tooth. See picture with green ring. If that is correct then LBS has correctly installed.
You can almost always see a difference in the teeth from the top. The wide teeth are more squared, the narrow teeth look flattened.

Don't know JayVee, think they got that wrong. Went out and looked at mine again. If I tried to mount my chain as they depict, it would ride way too high on the gear. The full width tooth centers the chain and goes in the narrow link, the offset tooth which you can see in the picture is thinner, and must go to the wide link, it is offset and if tried to fit into the narrow link will not work.

It is counterintuitive to what you think would work. Unless they are machining the gears differently, or stamping.

Don't know JayVee, think they got that wrong. Went out and looked at mine again. If I tried to mount my chain as they depict, it would ride way too high on the gear. The full width tooth centers the chain and goes in the narrow link, the offset tooth which you can see in the picture is thinner, and must go to the wide link, it is offset and if tried to fit into the narrow link will not work.

It is counterintuitive to what you think would work. Unless they are machining the gears differently, or stamping.
My Vado chain is still original. It was installed with the wide chain ring teeth in the wide chain slot, etc. The pic isn't the best, but I think you can make this out;
0410201553_Film1.jpg

Is your chain matched to your drive train, i.e. an 11-spd chain on a 11-spd drive train?

My Vado chain is still original. It was installed with the wide chain ring teeth in the wide chain slot, etc. The pic isn't the best, but I think you can make this out;
View attachment 53092

Is your chain matched to your drive train, i.e. an 11-spd chain on a 11-spd drive train?

That's funny. I was going to take a pic of mine also and it looks like yours, all the little dirt particles show up though to the naked eye it looks clean.

Mine is exactly as yours. Your wide tooth is in the narrow slot, the narrow tooth is in the wide slot. See how the narrow link is filled with the tooth, look at the wide link, there is a gap with the tooth to one side. You can see it in a couple links.

Loosen your rear derailleur and try to move the chain one tooth on the front gear, it won't ride correctly, that is going to be the ultimate test of whether it is mounted correctly.

My parts are OEM btw.

Uoch.
Anybody in doubt still could take a look at the drawing that's on the inner side of the chainring and looks like this:

narrowwide chain Vado.jpg

Just mount your chain exactly that way and you're done.

That's funny. I was going to take a pic of mine also and it looks like yours, all the little dirt particles show up though to the naked eye it looks clean.

Mine is exactly as yours. Your wide tooth is in the narrow slot, the narrow tooth is in the wide slot. See how the narrow link is filled with the tooth, look at the wide link, there is a gap with the tooth to one side. You can see it in a couple links.

Loosen your rear derailleur and try to move the chain one tooth on the front gear, it won't ride correctly, that is going to be the ultimate test of whether it is mounted correctly.

My parts are OEM btw.
My pis is pretty fuzzy so just to be sure I just went out and looked at both our Vados. You are absolutely correct. The wide tooth is in the narrow slot, etc. My apologies.

I too have read the online articles and went with the 'conventional' wisdom. Wrong, again...🤣

Uoch.
Anybody in doubt still could take a look at the drawing that's on the inner side of the chainring and looks like this:

View attachment 53095

Just mount your chain exactly that way and you're done.
Another feature I didn't know existed! Checked my bike, again. The installation matches this label with the narrow tooth in the wide chain slot.

Narrow slot is on the wide tooth. Please see the pic.

Your pic shows exactly the opposite: your wide slot is on the wide tooth, and that is the correct mounting.
Please notice: "wide" or "narrow" tooth is to be seen from side to side and not in the chain line (as the chain runs)!

I have marked your narrow tooth with a yellow frame, and your wide tooth with a red frame:

Nxkharras chain.jpeg

Last edited:
Your pic shows exactly the opposite: your wide slot is on the wide tooth, and that is the correct mounting.
Please notice: "wide" or "narrow" tooth is to be seen from side to side and not in the chain line (as the chain runs)!

I have marked your narrow tooth with a yellow frame, and your wide tooth with a red frame:

View attachment 53098
So is this OK? I am confused?
If mounting is OK then I do have problem with the chain ring wearing out. Hence the sound.

Back