Specialized Turbo Como 3.0

Thank You
Hi Jhorrick.

I also have the Como 3.0 and experienced the surging and/or lack of assistance from the motor. There is a approximate 1.5 inch rubbery shim that needs to be replaced in the battery compartment. It is placed on the right-side about 5 -6 inches from the top. It places the right amount of pressure on the battery and the bike contacts to prevent this temporarily until the piece get compressed again to be ineffective.

Specialized is aware of this issue and is working on a more permanent solution.

As for the Mission Control app, Specialized had told me that it should be a new version that works with our bikes around July.

We own two Como 3.0's and one has had several problems, all related to the battery shim. The original shim that was installed from the factory had turned into a black piece of chewing gum. I removed that and installed a new shim that was shipped with the bike. For now the problems are gone. The new shim I installed has a completely different feel compared to the original. It has a more dense feel, not soft and stretchy like the original. Now to see how long it lasts.

40 miles on an Oregon bike trail. So much fun!

IMG_1027.jpg
IMG_1037.jpg

Well, it's another sweltering hot day here in the Sacramento Valley, at least the smoke isn't near as bad as it has been. Between being out of town for work and the ugly conditions I haven't rode quite as much as I wanted. But I'm glad to report that I have passed the "half century" mark (500 miles in other words) My Como 3.0 is performing beautifully still! I made a couple tweaks to the saddle and have finally found that "sweet spot", I find it amazing how much just a very small movement of the saddle makes, but I've nailed it. Still haven't got my mirror but that should be happening soon.
Now for the bad part, my freedom has now been clipped! My wife, who you will remember told me how lazy I was for getting an e-bike has dropped the hammer on me! Today I was forced to go to the bike shop and get an e-bike for her. So we journeyed over to the LBS (after my 30 mile ride today) and purchased her bike, of course she didn't want the Como 3.0 because of the color so we purchased the Como 2.0 Low entry (only because of the color, dark blue color) I tried to tell her not to worry about the color, look at the function and features, but she wouldn't have it any other way(I'm thinking in my mind we're already off to a bad start, oh well what do I know) . We got to the shop late and they actually did have the bike in stock, she needs the small frame, but they have to put it together so I'll pick it up tomorrow. So much for my carefree days of leaving when I want now she is going to want to go and I already know she won't want to ride as long as I do.:rolleyes: Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't have a good feeling about this right now. Anyway I'll post pictures after we get it. Happy Riding Everybody!

PS: I did order my fenders while buying her bike, figured I would get ready for some winter riding.

Last edited:
Well, it's another sweltering hot day here in the Sacramento Valley, at least the smoke isn't near as bad as it has been. Between being out of town for work and the ugly conditions I haven't rode quite as much as I wanted. But I'm glad to report that I have passed the "half century" mark (500 miles in other words) My Como 3.0 is performing beautifully still! I made a couple tweaks to the saddle and have finally found that "sweet spot", I find it amazing how much just a very small movement of the saddle makes, but I've nailed it. Still haven't got my mirror but that should be happening soon.
Now for the bad part, my freedom has now been clipped! My wife, who you will remember told me how lazy I was for getting an e-bike has dropped the hammer on me! Today I was forced to go to the bike shop and get an e-bike for her. So we journeyed over to the LBS (after my 30 mile ride today) and purchased her bike, of course she didn't want the Como 3.0 because of the color so we purchased the Como 2.0 Low entry (only because of the color, dark blue color) I tried to tell her not to worry about the color, look at the function and features, but she wouldn't have it any other way(I'm thinking in my mind we're already off to a bad start, oh well what do I know) . We got to the shop late and they actually did have the bike in stock, she needs the small frame, but they have to put it together so I'll pick it up tomorrow. So much for my carefree days of leaving when I want now she is going to want to go and I already know she won't want to ride as long as I do.:rolleyes: Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't have a good feeling about this right now. Anyway I'll post pictures after we get it. Happy Riding Everybody!

PS: I did order my fenders while buying her bike, figured I would get ready for some winter riding.

Am looking forward to more home front reports. Ha, it's fascinating to hear of your journey.

Jan and i just got back from a long weekend in Seaside Oregon. Portland has been smokey like you, but the coast was a cool 68f and no fire haze. We liked our 10 mile ride on the beach when the tide was out, such a freeing experience to ride in the vastness. Then we loaded them to Astoria. Beautiful historic port city, we stopped at a shop, I ordered a latte and she some fun drink, salty dog, or such. After finishing, we looked up the street for a mile and saw the hill climb over many blocks. We rode up it, mostly just because we could. We put on 100 miles in our 3 days there. Biking has been pretty much all we do on the weekends and me during the week too. Whew!

That's too funny about your wife getting a Como. That blue she got is such a killer color, there's nothing like it on the streets. Maybe you guys won't miss the added speed. Jan and I don't go fast too often, and it seems safer for everyone if they don't blast too fast. Jan went down once and lost skin, hurt a lot, but she healed complete in two weeks. (night riding and missing the inlet up the curb)

I hope you write more about how you guys are taking to her new Specialized.

Am looking forward to more home front reports. Ha, it's fascinating to hear of your journey.

Jan and i just got back from a long weekend in Seaside Oregon. Portland has been smokey like you, but the coast was a cool 68f and no fire haze. We liked our 10 mile ride on the beach when the tide was out, such a freeing experience to ride in the vastness. Then we loaded them to Astoria. Beautiful historic port city, we stopped at a shop, I ordered a latte and she some fun drink, salty dog, or such. After finishing, we looked up the street for a mile and saw the hill climb over many blocks. We rode up it, mostly just because we could. We put on 100 miles in our 3 days there. Biking has been pretty much all we do on the weekends and me during the week too. Whew!

That's too funny about your wife getting a Como. That blue she got is such a killer color, there's nothing like it on the streets. Maybe you guys won't miss the added speed. Jan and I don't go fast too often, and it seems safer for everyone if they don't blast too fast. Jan went down once and lost skin, hurt a lot, but she healed complete in two weeks. (night riding and missing the inlet up the curb)

I'll keep everybody posted! I've been out of town since Sunday Night I've called to she if she has rode but she hasn't, I told her to ride around the neighborhood just to get the feel but she hasn't put a mile on it yet.

We are staying just down the beach from where you were at Seaside (Arch Cape). Beautiful country here and a nice break from our hot days in Texas. Wish we had our bikes here!

We are staying just down the beach from where you were at Seaside (Arch Cape). Beautiful country here and a nice break from our hot days in Texas. Wish we had our bikes here!

Bike rentals are a big thing in Seaside, but no one rents electric. We didn't see any other electric bikes on our long weekend. There aren't any hills, so maybe no pressing need. But many rented the multiple seated surreys. I'd see out of 6 or so occupants only a couple would be pedaling. They'd love electric!

Looking at a Como and to my dissapointment I was told the 3.0 is not available until December!! So will probably order a 2.0 which my wife likes better since she thinks going 28 mph is too dangerous :)
Not too many accessories available from Specialized for the Como...looking for a rack and panniers...any suggestions?

Thanks!

Looking at a Como and to my dissapointment I was told the 3.0 is not available until December!! So will probably order a 2.0 which my wife likes better since she thinks going 28 mph is too dangerous :)
Not too many accessories available from Specialized for the Como...looking for a rack and panniers...any suggestions?

Thanks!

We purchase the 3.0 for my wife and she loves it. The 3.0 has a few things the 2.0 doesn't, better battery, 10 speed versus 9 speed and integrated lights. As far as speed, that's a preference. My wife is not a speedster either but for a few hundred more the 3.0 may be worth looking for.

Thanks!
I tried a 2.0 and it was too limiting with it cutting out the assist at 20 MPH. I would lean towards the 3.0 (IMO).
My wife (who doesn't like to go too fast) also has the 3.0 and loves it. Our local dealers ( Wisconsin, U.S.) have plenty of 3.0's in stock

Thanks!
IMG_0040 (2).jpg

December,ow, what a wait! I've ridden the Como 2.0 and it feels great. Jan and I have 3.0, but we rarely ride fast or long enough that we'd notice the battery difference to the 2.0.

The Como style mimics Specialized non-electric Roll. I have the Specialized Roll Rack and it accommodates bags. The bike has mounting points for fenders. I just ordered some custom wood from Woodys Fenders. When you say Specialized doesn't have many accessories available, what are you looking for?

View attachment 25128

December,ow, what a wait! I've ridden the Como 2.0 and it feels great. Jan and I have 3.0, but we rarely ride fast or long enough that we'd notice the battery difference to the 2.0.

The Como style mimics Specialized non-electric Roll. I have the Specialized Roll Rack and it accommodates bags. The bike has mounting points for fenders. I just ordered some custom wood from Woodys Fenders. When you say Specialized doesn't have many accessories available, what are you looking for?

When I was at the dealer today said the Como did not have any Specialized racks that would accommodate it. So the Roll Rack will work on the Como? hmmmm

Has anyone had issues with a Class 3 bike (28mph) on any bike trails?

Since this a question for a Como 3, I presume you are asking about a Class 3 on paved or "developed" bike trails as opposed to off-road trails.

I ride my Class 3 Turbo on bike trails all the time. You MUST watch your speed and ride appropriate to the traffic. My local trail includes horse traffic (farms adjacent to the trails), walkers, in-line skaters, and family bicyclists (mom, dad, one or more small kids). The two groups I have the largest issue with are the walkers/skaters who wear head phones, walk 2 or 3 abreast, and not listening. The other group are family bicyclists with little kids who don't know rules of the road (keep right, ride single file, don't swerve, etc.).

I ALWAYS slow down for horses (in both directions), give them lots of room, and try to coast quietly so I don't spook them. I expect little kids are going to dart in front of me and ride slowly and defensively accordingly. I have developed a VERY loud vocal "WHOOP!" that seems to get through to three abreast walkers when "on your left" doesn't.

Last edited:
The como 3 (and class 3 ebikes in general) are nice simply because an easy cruising speed is often between 20-23mph. It's nice not having the motor cut out when you start reaching that easy cruise speed. I don't usually average more than about 18mph on my commute according to Strava, but I often cruise at 20-23mph.

I haven't, though its illegal in some states to ride a class 3 on a bike path. I ride on paved bike paths with my Super Commuter, and I just make sure I let people know I am coming in advance with the bell and then a verbal "On your left" when closer. I think the speed limit on bike paths is 20 mph, but I cruise at about 20-23 most of the time.

One of our bikes is a Como 3.0 (class 3) and we ride on designated bike/hike paths around downtown Austin and never have had a problem. We keep a reasonable and safe speed. The Como 3.0 looks a lot like a regular bike and most people don’t even know it’s an electric bike.

The problem we have is uneducated walkers and people with ear buds that can’t hear our warnings of trying to pass. Also the family of 3 or 4 that take up the entire path.

OK from what I have reading the Como 3.0 is the way to go...so I was able to find one in Phoenix, AZ....I live in Tucson. So heading up there tomorrow AM to pick up my new ebike!!!

Looks like the Banks/Vernonia trail....very fun trail to ride! How do you like those switch backs by Tophill?
That's amazing how you knew it was that trail just from a few close-up bike pictures! And you live in Arizona too. That is a beautiful paved trail as you know, 21 miles of almost isolation, at the end, in Vernonia Oregon there is a downtown with more than a handful of cafes to sit down for lunch.
With the pedal assist, we commented that we didn't even notice the long grades or switchbacks until we were going downhill and almost inadvertently notice that we don't have to pedal anymore.

I think there are a lot of racks that will fit the Como, just deciding on getting the bike seems like a big enough decision for the time being. The first rack that I bought was a dumb purchase, It was heavy, expensive and obstructed the red light under the seat. I've since shelved it. The top half of that rack is in my avatar picture, it's mounted on the Roll rack.

Please keep us posted on what sounds like your impending purchase!

I'm in Sacramento Area and I have no Problems, but I'm respectful of the situation (I usually stay between 18 and 20mph) and don't want to get booted off the trail, unlike some of the Spandex monkeys that are blowing through the trail passing me like I'm standing still with no respect to anybody else, but they're the first ones to complain to try and have e-bikes removed from the trails. I'm very lucky to have a nice trail to ride close to home, does wonders for my stress levels, really look forward to my rides, even though its the same trail seems like there is always something different about it, and I'm already seeing the effects of fall (I guess because it's not 105 anymore).

Back