Specialized Turbo Como 3.0

That's amazing how you knew it was that trail just from a few close-up bike pictures! And you live in Arizona too. That is a beautiful paved trail as you know, 21 miles of almost isolation, at the end, in Vernonia Oregon there is a downtown with more than a handful of cafes to sit down for lunch.
With the pedal assist, we commented that we didn't even notice the long grades or switchbacks until we were going downhill and almost inadvertently notice that we don't have to pedal anymore.

I think there are a lot of racks that will fit the Como, just deciding on getting the bike seems like a big enough decision for the time being. The first rack that I bought was a dumb purchase, It was heavy, expensive and obstructed the red light under the seat. I've since shelved it. The top half of that rack is in my avatar picture, it's mounted on the Roll rack.

Please keep us posted on what sounds like your impending purchase!
I'm going to have to find my way to that trail looks very nice!

The como 3 (and class 3 ebikes in general) are nice simply because an easy cruising speed is often between 20-23mph. It's nice not having the motor cut out when you start reaching that easy cruise speed. I don't usually average more than about 18mph on my commute according to Strava, but I often cruise at 20-23mph.

I haven't, though its illegal in some states to ride a class 3 on a bike path. I ride on paved bike paths with my Super Commuter, and I just make sure I let people know I am coming in advance with the bell and then a verbal "On your left" when closer. I think the speed limit on bike paths is 20 mph, but I cruise at about 20-23 most of the time.
It's only 15mph here in the Sacramento Area, which nobody observes, at 18 to 20mph I'm passed all the time.

I'm in Sacramento Area and I have no Problems, but I'm respectful of the situation (I usually stay between 18 and 20mph) and don't want to get booted off the trail, unlike some of the Spandex monkeys that are blowing through the trail passing me like I'm standing still with no respect to anybody else, but they're the first ones to complain to try and have e-bikes removed from the trails. I'm very lucky to have a nice trail to ride close to home, does wonders for my stress levels, really look forward to my rides, even though its the same trail seems like there is always something different about it, and I'm already seeing the effects of fall (I guess because it's not 105 anymore).

Electrarider, you seem to really "get it"... using the bike for relaxation and it sounds so zen and 'mindful' of you to notice the subtitles in the season. :) Your posts are motivating. I know miles are important to you, I'm still ahead at 759 to your 500 something? Ha

I just got back from a 15 mile ride on Burnt Bridge Trail by my home and if it wasn't for the electric bike, I would have been home getting zero exercise or sunshine stimulation!

Electrarider, you seem to really "get it"... using the bike for relaxation and it sounds so zen and 'mindful' of you to notice the subtitles in the season. :) Your posts are motivating. I know miles are important to you, I'm still ahead at 759 to your 500 something? Ha

I just got back from a 15 mile ride on Burnt Bridge Trail by my home and if it wasn't for the electric bike, I would have been home getting zero exercise or sunshine stimulation!
I'm at 625 Miles right now, but yes I've been slacking because of my project out of town. I'm trying to catch you.;)

I have failed you guys, I promised a while back I would keep you posted to the outcome of my wife's bike, if you remember she's the one who called me lazy and said e-bikes are for lazy people. Hmm wonder why she changed her mind? Anyway we have rode together and it is much harder for me; I start riding and in just a couple minutes she's nowhere in site so now I'm starting and stopping all the time (Going to be hard to catch you Volts). So now I go for a pre-ride before riding with her, and Yes I know this is a Como 3.0 page but she also wanted the blue bike which is a Como 2.0. So to keep this a Como 3.0 Page I kept my bike in the picture, with my new fenders. I'm not overly impressed by the fenders but they should help to keep most of the crud off the bike, I thought they would be aluminum but they're plastic. Also wanted to mention the Nimbus tread pattern is now a little different, so our exact tread pattern isn't available, unless your LBS has some on the shelf.

Attachments

• 20180825_173901.jpg
    20180825_173901.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 610
  • 20180825_173836.jpg
    20180825_173836.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 614
Just picked up my Como 3.0 up in Phoenix AZ....came home to Tucson and blasted around the neighborhood with a few good hills in 98 degree weather (hey its a dry heat!) What a blast!!

Glad to hear you got your new bike! What are your impressions?

IMG_1096.jpg

Just picked up my Como 3.0 up in Phoenix AZ....came home to Tucson and blasted around the neighborhood with a few good hills in 98 degree weather (hey its a dry heat!) What a blast!!
Welcome to the Como 3.0 Club! The bike always seems to get better with every ride!

Only rode a few mile but very impressed...will give it a good ride tomorrow with my bike group...have to get use to riding an upright bike again...I have been riding recumbent bikes/trikes for the past 5 years...
Before this bike I never really rode an upright bike now I don't think I ever want to go back! Only took a couple days for me to feel really comfortable, keep us posted!

Hey Mutiny, the rest of the people here already heard it, but my Bike shop calls it the "Electric Smile" when riding, I always like hearing that and watching people ride the e-bike for the first time, never gets old.

How can you tell what firmware version you have?

Jim
I think you have to take your bike (or maybe just the display?) to a dealer to check that. There is nothing in the user manual for Vado/Como about checking firmware with the basic display.

I think you have to take your bike (or maybe just the display?) to a dealer to check that. There is nothing in the user manual for Vado/Como about checking firmware with the basic display.

My LBS told us to bring by the bike and they would check to see if it had the latest up date so it sounds like they need the controller as well.

According to the documentation I have, the trip odo should reset after powering down the battery...mine was not doing that. Reading thru the forum here I found information that you have to press the + and - buttons at the same time which then resets the trip odo to zero....it worked! Maybe this is something new with the latest sw update? I asked the LBS if they updated the sw to the latest rev and they confirmed they did...maybe everyone is aware of this? How do you reset your trip odo?

For all you Como owners - how does it do on gravel roads or rails to trails type trails (non-paved)?

Do the tires soak up the bumps?

According to the documentation I have, the trip odo should reset after powering down the battery...mine was not doing that. Reading thru the forum here I found information that you have to press the + and - buttons at the same time which then resets the trip odo to zero....it worked! Maybe this is something new with the latest sw update? I asked the LBS if they updated the sw to the latest rev and they confirmed they did...maybe everyone is aware of this? How do you reset your trip odo?
Don”t know exactly when they changed the way to reset trip meter but I got my Vado around 20th July and by then it was the + - method.

For all you Como owners - how does it do on gravel roads or rails to trails type trails (non-paved)?

Do the tires soak up the bumps?

There's nothing about the Como design that would lend itself to a rougher ride than other bikes of similar constitution.

I'm an overweight, out of shape 61 year old so I try to squeeze every drop of smooth out of the ride I can.

30 psi in the tires, which is on the low side helps.

This item, a stem shock, gripfast smooths the front some.

I also put another 400 bucks into the back with a Brooks B67 saddle and a bodyfloat seatpost shock.

I put these additions on soon after buying the bike and as is, gravel roads are okay.

Last edited:
Back