Specialized Turbo Como 3.0

I ordered mine from the bike shop also, I test rode the 2.0, but wanted the added speed of the 3.0.

The rear light; to move it, I unscrewed the light from its bracket and zip tied it to the new location. This Brooks seat is so much softer than the original. I cut the wire and spliced another piece in to make it longer. I just bought a suspension seatpost, a Kinect, not here yet, and I don't think there will be an outlet for the wire from this new seatpost. I noticed the wire for the Vado (very similiar bike) comes out of the bottom of the motor and back up it's fender from the bottom.

I ended up taking the rack off. I love the style of this bike and the rack was two racks I pieced together and was heavy and I thought took away from the lines of the bike (how vain, I know)

I test rode different bikes at a few places but was blown away by the Como's ride position, and looks. The power train is unique in it's smoothness and silence from my testing.

I'm 250 pounds, running 40 psi in the tires, seems good. It's been a month and a half since I've had it and am still so excited with it!
When I was looking to buy a new commute bike recently, I didn't look at Specialized because they didn't used to be good. But I've seen their new bikes recently and regret not having tried them. They really are a sharp looking bike. My LBS tells me most of their customers by the Specialized product.

I like the Como, but for my rainy location, it would need fenders. And since I use the bike for in town errands and commuting, it would need a means of carrying something and I don't "do" backpacks. That said, removing the rear rack and basket on your bike was a good call. Weight that high and far back ruins the balance of the bike. And yes, it did not look good. If I had only one rack, it would be a head tube mounted front rack. Or some of those front mounted handlebar bags are pretty good and surprisingly roomy. However, most bikes won't accommodate those.

Damn-those fenders look good!!!!!!! Way better than my plastic ones!

I like your matte black fenders! They blend in, are under-stated, perfect design. I installed the same fenders as yours on Jan's bike today. Specialized Como fenders, kinda neat that the bike has it's own custom fit fenders. It was a chore installing them since they did not come with instructions.

We rode today for 25 miles on that nearly isolated 'rails to trails' Banks-Vernonia Oregon paved bike path. It's great getting away from cars and to pedal at a meditative quick clip. At 900 miles now, I'm still so impressed with how silent these Como's are, and smooth and solid and I just love riding it still, more really all the time.

I think those bikes have 650B wheels which are uncommon on conventional bikes and even more so on e-bikes. It's a good size for comfort. I love my bike, but I wish I was aware Specialized had gotten so good before making my choice. I've heard nothing but good things about the Como.

Banks-Vernonia is nice, but watch out for some gravel patches. 2 different friends, and not both of them old, have gotten seriously hurt on that trail. It's great that there aren't any cars, but that means it's not maintained like a public road and because most of it is nicely paved, one get a false sense of security and be taken by surprise when the unexpected bad patch presents itself.

I like your matte black fenders! They blend in, are under-stated, perfect design. I installed the same fenders as yours on Jan's bike today. Specialized Como fenders, kinda neat that the bike has it's own custom fit fenders. It was a chore installing them since they did not come with instructions.

We rode today for 25 miles on that nearly isolated 'rails to trails' Banks-Vernonia Oregon paved bike path. It's great getting away from cars and to pedal at a meditative quick clip. At 900 miles now, I'm still so impressed with how silent these Como's are, and smooth and solid and I just love riding it still, more really all the time.
Doesn't look like I'm ever going to catch you on the miles! I've been out of town so much lately been hard to squeeze in any ride time, I'm only at 760 miles right now. And I have rode my Wife's bike about 50 miles (had to raise the seat) she said the bike wasn't functioning properly said the motor was surging, but since she has the Como 2.0 the motor cuts out at 18mph. I told her she should have gotten the 3.0, her bike is functioning properly, but it is kind of annoying. I went to the Interbike event at Northstar yesterday rode several different E-bikes and still glad I went with the Specialized, I was shocked by how hard some of the power kicked in on many bikes, guess I'm just spoiled by the smooth transition on the Specialized Como 3.0 (and now the Como 2.0). I will be getting new pedals very soon after yesterday really liked the platform pedals with pegs.

New brakes. I was metal on metal at 900 miles, scored rotors, shoulda changed pads at 600 miles. It barely made noise and still stopped??! Live and learn, the bike shop charged me 135 for the works and a bigger rotor in back.

Attachments

• IMG_1188.jpg
    IMG_1188.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 604
  • IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 560
  • IMG_0548.JPG
    IMG_0548.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 596
New brakes. I was metal on metal at 900 miles, scored rotors, shoulda changed pads at 600 miles. It barely made noise and still stopped??! Live and learn, the bike shop charged me 135 for the works and a bigger rotor in back.
I had a check up done a 550 miles (When I bought my Wife's Bike) and actually asked about the brakes they said the brakes were fine but my chain was a little stretched I did replace it probably could've gotten a few more miles but just had them change it to avoid damaging the gears. I plan on taking it back at around 1,000 miles but now I will look at the brakes before i get there. What did they do to fit the larger rotor on the rear?

I had a check up done a 550 miles (When I bought my Wife's Bike) and actually asked about the brakes they said the brakes were fine but my chain was a little stretched I did replace it probably could've gotten a few more miles but just had them change it to avoid damaging the gears. I plan on taking it back at around 1,000 miles but now I will look at the brakes before i get there. What did they do to fit the larger rotor on the rear?

They replaced the 160 size in the rear to 180 to match the front, direct swap, no caliper change, mostly because they could I guess. I asked how far I could go in upgradeing the brakes and he gave an interesting concept type reply, that if the brakes became so sticky and effective, they could then start putting a strain on the mounting structure to the bike.
Best to just keep the brakes close to new spec was my take away. Which is fine.

Interesting about your chain as mine is still in range. Must be the brutal leg thrust you're generating. :)

After my 3rd rear spoke being replaced, they re-spoked it with better spokes, warranty stuff.

Found this on Specialized’s site:

What About My Vado Or Como?
Due to the type of Bluetooth connectivity on Vado/Como displays (provided by BLOKS) we can't connect to these bikes with Mission Control. If you want to adjust the tuning modes on your bike, please contact your dealer.

It is part of this FAQ:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/missioncontrol

Due to the type of Bluetooth connectivity on Vado/Como displays (provided by BLOKS) we can't connect to these bikes with Mission Control. If you want to adjust the tuning modes on your bike, please contact your dealer.

It is part of this FAQ:

I would very much like to be able to modify ( lower) power assist levels to see if it would extend range for me a bit. The Eco mode is very powerful I think.
Not long ago the Mission Control app was still mentioned on the Specialized web in the text describing the Como and Vado. Now that is changed, there is nothing about the app.
I know I read somewhere (sorry can’t remember where) that the app would arrive end of this year. This was mid August I think.
Earlier there was info (rumors?) circulating saying the app would be out in July .
The guy who sold me the Vado says that Specialized has finished the cooperation with the software company that was supposed to produce the app.
I doubt we will ever see the app for Como and Vado with the current display. As I’ve said before - I don’t mind being wrong here:)

They replaced the 160 size in the rear to 180 to match the front, direct swap, no caliper change, mostly because they could I guess. I asked how far I could go in upgradeing the brakes and he gave an interesting concept type reply, that if the brakes became so sticky and effective, they could then start putting a strain on the mounting structure to the bike.
Best to just keep the brakes close to new spec was my take away. Which is fine.

Interesting about your chain as mine is still in range. Must be the brutal leg thrust you're generating. :)

After my 3rd rear spoke being replaced, they re-spoked it with better spokes, warranty stuff.
My chain was still OK but I've heard that 800 miles is a good average life span for chains on e-bikes and since I'm no Light weight guy figured it would be better to put a new one on to save the rest of the drive train (I'll try to take it easy with the brutal leg force) ;). They did have to "retrue" my rims but I had no broken Spokes, I've heard other people having issues with spokes, luckily mine are ok. I'm still out of town today and it is day number 4 without a bike ride I'm pretty sure I'll be heading back home tomorrow I don't want to make it 5 days without biking.

I would very much like to be able to modify ( lower) power assist levels to see if it would extend range for me a bit. The Eco mode is very powerful I think.
Not long ago the Mission Control app was still mentioned on the Specialized web in the text describing the Como and Vado. Now that is changed, there is nothing about the app.
I know I read somewhere (sorry can’t remember where) that the app would arrive end of this year. This was mid August I think.
Earlier there was info (rumors?) circulating saying the app would be out in July .
The guy who sold me the Vado says that Specialized has finished the cooperation with the software company that was supposed to produce the app.
I doubt we will ever see the app for Como and Vado with the current display. As I’ve said before - I don’t mind being wrong here:)
Yeah I was told by July but that came and went, now at least we have a new "target date", really hope it happens!

Regarding tuning modes and the answer from Specialized below in quote.
I called the Specialized Concept store in Stockholm,Sweden, today and asked about adjusting the ”power levels” or tuning modes. The guy who answered the phone was sure there was no way they could do it with the service software from Specialized.

It is part of this FAQ:

Yeah I was told by July but that came and went, now at least we have a new "target date", really hope it happens!

I just ride the bike. The display on the bike tells me what level of assist I'm in and when I need to turn around and head home before I run out of power. Am I missing out on anything? I test rode a lot of bikes when I bought it, nothing else was as smooth in power delivery, was as comfortable to sit on or looked as good as this bike. Should I be getting mad about something I don't know about? Specialized promised that the display was going to spit out more data than it does now?

There is so much data in my life now. So many apps. All I want to do is ride :)

I just ride the bike. The display on the bike tells me what level of assist I'm in and when I need to turn around and head home before I run out of power. Am I missing out on anything? I test rode a lot of bikes when I bought it, nothing else was as smooth in power delivery, was as comfortable to sit on or looked as good as this bike. Should I be getting mad about something I don't know about? Specialized promised that the display was going to spit out more data than it does now?

There is so much data in my life now. So many apps. All I want to do is ride :)
In the video I saw, it showed you the ability to "program" the level of assist per the route entered, which I thought was kind of cool if you're running to the outer limits of the range. But the main reason I wanted it was to be able to run Diagnostics on the bike, I too just want to get on and ride. I look at Spreadsheets and Cost reports all day long don't want to do it on my bike too.

In the video I saw, it showed you the ability to "program" the level of assist per the route entered, which I thought was kind of cool if you're running to the outer limits of the range. But the main reason I wanted it was to be able to run Diagnostics on the bike, I too just want to get on and ride. I look at Spreadsheets and Cost reports all day long don't want to do it on my bike too.

It sounded so fantastical when described to me when by the salesman when I bought the bike: tell it the destination and it will determine elevation changes to give you just the right amount of power that you arrive at your destination with all power expended. Yeah. Right.

It sounded so fantastical when described to me when by the salesman when I bought the bike: tell it the destination and it will determine elevation changes to give you just the right amount of power that you arrive at your destination with all power expended. Yeah. Right.
All "Unicorns & Butterflies" LOL!

Last weekend I finally installed my Mirrycle mirror, WOW! I don't know what I would do without it! Best addition ever! Wasn't sure I was going to like it because it is so close to the handle bar grip, but it actually doesn't bother me at all love being able to see whats behind me now! Been out of town a lot so haven't been riding as much as I would like to. (Hey Volts you must be at 1,000 miles by now) :D I have managed to break the 800 mile mark, if I remember right I think I'm at 840 miles now! Heading home tonight but it may be to late to ride, I'll just have to take it for a quick spin around the block.

Last edited:
Last weekend I finally installed my Mirrycle mirror, WOW! I don't know what I would do without it! Best addition ever! Wasn't sure I was going to like it because it is so close to the handle bar grip, but it actually doesn't bother me at all love being able to see whats behind me now! Been out of town a lot so haven't been riding as much as I would like to. (Hey Volts you must be at 1,000 miles by now) :D I have managed to break the 800 mile mark, if I remember right I think I'm at 840 miles now! Heading home tonight but it may be to late to ride, I'll just have to take it for a quick spin around the block.

Glad to hear you like the mirror on your bike. It's easier than straining my stiff neck for any spook of a sound from behind.

I walk the bike down and up the stairs from my 3rd floor apartment a couple times a week for rides, and load it on the back of my car to take to Jan's on the weekend. It's pretty rainy in the Pacific Northwest, I know the season to pleasure bike is short, I'm trying to make the most of it now before the months of storage. During the week, my couple of rides are only 10 miles each though, I'm at 930 miles now. I'm still excited about the bike, I just love the look of my new wood fenders, and riding it is so satisfying.

Electrarider, it's always fun to read your posts, to hear about your bike, your wife's bike...

Back