Specialized teases details of Globe Bikes sub-brand Cargo eBike

They're afraid somebody is gonna shoot their foot off.
Specialized will not jeopardize their business with breaking the law. That's why we can buy a Vado 6.0 in EU as Vado 6.0 follows the EU moped laws to the letter. Same as Trek or Riese & Muller.

Besides... It would be hard to explain to the demanding European customers how come the same brand can sell a €14,500 road bike and a $2,700 monstrosity at the same time :D

I'd say that gif is putting it kindly given what PedalUma is putting out there.

While I'm no fan of super-sized trucks and SUVs, there's nothing like a bit of thinly-veiled racist commentary to demonstrate lack of character and self restraint.
I did not make this video. Marketers use demographics to target market. It appears that Specialized wished to expand the market.

Its been said that there's two ways to have the tallest building in town; either you build it, or you tear down all the others.

Jeremy McCreary recently posted this in another thread, "Why Roadies Don't Smile-funny article I just read".

"One of the most dangerous things about human nature — and the one most likely to do us in — is our bad us-them habit. And here we are doing it with fellow fans of the greatest joy machine ever invented.

Are there ill-behaved road bikers? Sure. Are there ill-behaved ebikers? You bet — even on this forum. Are there ill-behaved mountain bikers? Plenty. Do some of these people think that only they know what to do with a bike? See above.

Nobody holds the high ground here.

What does all this generalization-from-anecdote, us-them crap buy us? Nothing good."

I think this is a good example of how we exhibit our character in our posts. PedalUma even gave it a thumbs up!

Last edited:
My background is Anthropology and Marketing. People being dismissively blown off is the racist thing. Inclusivity is good. I believe that Specialized is listening, adapting, and reaching out. Hopefully their board and design teams are diverse and representative. Cultural differences are real and should be addressed head on. My needs and preferences are not like everyone else. Mom's want a bike that can carry a kids and things such as groceries. And they want an affordable price point with a throttle. They don't want to dress up for the Tour de France to drop off a kid at pre-school or to commute.

Mom's want a bike that can carry a kids and things such as groceries. And they want an affordable price point with a throttle. They don't want to dress up for the Tour de France to drop off a kid at pre-school or to commute.
Agreed. As a (male) parent, I definitely would have wanted dropping off little kids on a bike to not be a huge production. (I wasn’t biking when my kids were little, but if I were, safe, easy, and painless would have been my priorities)

Part of mentioning the Escalade is the weird American cultural ethos of Large and Overpowered in contrast to for example the European cultural ethos of Nimble and Efficient. Am I making gross generalizations, or talking about legitimate cultural differences? Europeans tend to like for example sporty smaller cars with manual transmissions. People in the US tend to want huge cars with a spongy feel and with automatic transmissions. I believe this also informs their aspirations for bikes. I have read that over half of all sales of electric bikes in the US are throttle bikes. A major segment of these are also subjectively heavy and lack feel. So, should the decision makers at Specialized ignore what most people in a major and growing market want? Or, should they miss out, leaving money on the table because they are elitist? If you are a bartender you sometimes need to serve umbrella drinks, even if you know they are not all that great like a single malt. By the way, to me the Escalade is gross and I like nimble bikes with feel.

I have read that over half of all sales of electric bikes in the US are throttle bikes. A major segment of these are also subjectively heavy and lack feel. So, should the decision makers at Specialized ignore what most people in a major and growing market want? Or, should they miss out, leaving money on the table because they are elitist? If you are a bartender you sometimes need to serve umbrella drinks, even if you know they are not all that great like a single malt. By the way, to me the Escalade is gross and I like nimble bikes with feel.
I happen to live in a very fitness/cycling oriented area (near boulder, CO). Ebike usage out here has exploded in the last few years. I would say over 80% of the bikes I see are throttle bikes and probably 50% percent of those I see are using throttle only...until they see you and then pretend to pedal. Of that, I rarely see women cyclist pedaling (at least the ones on throttle bikes)

Then there are the more elitists cycling types who shun ebikes altogether. If they actually get an ebike,it tends to be a well known brand like specialized. I see/smoke alot of Vados. Most Vado riders are very friendly, professional and pleasant, not sure why polish riders seem different. Perhaps its related to having a strava account.

I live a block away from an elementary school and all the kids ride their bikes to/from school. Cargo bike usage is also extremely high and I am amazed how I just see more bigger and heavier (cargo bike towing trailer). Most are throttle equipped like the RadWagon. I saw one yesterday with two child seats and a trailer. All the cargo bikes is quite a spectacle and seems to be a status thing.

Several members of my family have been asking about ebikes and all want throttles. I have suggested Vado to many of them but most dont want to outlay that amount of cash for a bike without a throttle. Almost all want 28mph bikes as well.

I sat and spent a few hours just watching people on a busy saturday at the local ebike shop and just observed customers. Almost all wanted 28mph throttle bikes and usually around $1500. At that time, the shop sold over 400 magnum metros a year and around 50 ebikes using one of the big 4 mid drive equipped brands. At that time I was waiting for the shop to get my new class 3 Brose bike order completed (iZIP Moda..$2400 on sale). A guy came in and wanted to try this same bike, he went for a ride and stated how crappy it was because he was trying to shift under load. Both the shop and I explained to him his technique was the issue and he just wouldnt accept it. He got on a magnum metro and bought it right there.

Most ebikers I see want $1500 28mph throttle bikes...its just the market, most dont have the want or need to join the Vado SL user club

Last edited:
$1500 28mph throttle bike
I think of them like Trump, Country Music, or Rap. They are immensely popular, but to me and my preferences, vulgar and monotonous. Most Sorority girls would rather drink a $6 bottle of juicy strawberry-bubble gum wine than the taste of wine from a complex $120 bottle. That's too big a market to blow off for the majors. You don't shift a car under load. It pains me to hear the crunch. Do you recall inexperienced riders cross-chaining and complaining that something is wrong? But all that is not an issue with these powerful 1-by hub drives which are a better fit for inexperienced cyclists.

Last edited:
pretty interesting review of the haul in the latest issue of “bicycling,” in which they picked it as the bike of the year. as much as it’s not for me, it sounds like an extremely well designed and engineered bike. worth a read.

Demographics are normative. These bikes are geared away from European males who are avid cyclists. Preloaded racists see the world thru a mono lens of nonsense like zodiac tellers or extreme fundamentalists. I am not among those. Within the U.S. American's tend to like big, over-powered stuff, hence the Escalades note. It is culture, not race. Culture, culture, culture! We all know, race theory is wrong at is core and is an artificial overlay construct that does not exist in the real world. All Southern culture be dammed. People are people. Learned, and acquired, Culture is real. I am addressing Culture and Marketing in the USA by a major player, expanding its market to meet the real needs and cultural aspirations of an underserved market segment. Specialized did it with focus groups.

These bikes are geared away from European males who are avid cyclists.
European females are avid cyclists, too.

1680591628438.png

There are numerous women in gravel cycling clubs in Poland, and they are often among the strongest racers :)

Necessary to mention, the phenomenon to buy the first e-bike in the family for the wife (so she could match her husband on their rides) is a pretty universal phenomenon.

1680592023686.png

Of the European countries I have been to, the cargo e-bikes were really only visible in Copenhagen, Denmark. All those e-bikes were pedal-assist. Pedalled by both men and women. (Pictured: A cargo e-bike manufactured and sold in the Free Town of Christiania, Copenhagen, Denmark).

Last edited:
Two wheels good.

Four bad.

Cyclists like to bitch.

The internet and cocaine do the same thing to a discussion.

Add two Coolcave panniers to your cart and use GLOBEFIRST200 at checkout
to receive them as a free gift with your Globe Haul ST purchase.
Hi e-boy, thinking about the Globe Haul ST, and I just tried the code to get the cool caves and the discount code seems to be expired. Any chance you know of another promotion coming on the horizon?

it would be really swell if they brought back that deal with the two panniers with purchase. :)
Make your own :D

I was at Costco yesterday for the first time with my white set on the white bike, and - I think I was engaged in conversation about the bike literally about 10 times while locking the bike up before going in, and then loading it up afterwards - I had probably half of the people commenting on the nature of my hardshell panniers and how they loved the idea.

The whole idea came from seeing the enormous expense of those mediocre Fahrvergnugen panniers (priced as if they were the biggest, best Ortliebs) and how inexpensive it would be to make something functionally much better.

At the risk of being trolled by some folks, I'll venture to say the Globe Haul has a place in the market. Specifically, the market for short riders like me who want a capable "fattish" tire ebike. My inseam is only 29". That means that most fat tire ebikes are too tall for me: I can't even get my toes on the ground while straddling the saddle of most of them. These facts push me into looking at cargo/utility bikes. Want a shortish step through wheelbase bike that I can ride on grassy terrain/side hills or dirt/gravel roads, and I'll be doing lots of start/stops. I need something with a torque sensor and throttle that can start from a dead stop on a hill. I want a recognized brand that I can buy from and have serviced at a LBS. And to fit my budget (yes, some of us don't have unlimited funds to spend on bikes), the price must be sub $3K. A competitor to the Globe could be the Lectric XPremium, but I don't like how the handlebars stick way up (like a clown bike in a Shriner parade), and the min seat height is still 32". The XP's mid-drive motor is 500 watts/57 nm, and I wonder how that would compare to the 700 watt hub motor on the Globe. It does give pause that Specialized isn't stating the nm of torque for the Globe.

At the risk of being trolled by some folks, I'll venture to say the Globe Haul has a place in the market. Specifically, the market for short riders like me who want a capable "fattish" tire ebike. My inseam is only 29". That means that most fat tire ebikes are too tall for me: I can't even get my toes on the ground while straddling the saddle of most of them. These facts push me into looking at cargo/utility bikes. Want a shortish step through wheelbase bike that I can ride on grassy terrain/side hills or dirt/gravel roads, and I'll be doing lots of start/stops. I need something with a torque sensor and throttle that can start from a dead stop on a hill. I want a recognized brand that I can buy from and have serviced at a LBS. And to fit my budget (yes, some of us don't have unlimited funds to spend on bikes), the price must be sub $3K. A competitor to the Globe could be the Lectric XPremium, but I don't like how the handlebars stick way up (like a clown bike in a Shriner parade), and the min seat height is still 32". The XP's mid-drive motor is 500 watts/57 nm, and I wonder how that would compare to the 700 watt hub motor on the Globe. It does give pause that Specialized isn't stating the nm of torque for the Globe.

Couple comments on the bolded parts above.

With most bicycles you're not really supposed to be able to touch the ground while on the seat. You get the best pedaling efficiency with your legs nearing full extension at the bottom of the pedal stroke, and so there needs to be room so you don't hit the pedal on the ground - especially in a turn. Some frame styles - classically the "beach cruiser" type - shift the pedals forward and your weight is almost entirely on the seat - giving an upright posture and potentially not being as comfortable for longer rides. Especially on rougher surfaces since you can't easily lift your bottom off the seat and let your legs take the big bumps.

As for starting from a dead stop on a hill, that's possible on all bikes - conventional or electric - if the rider trains him/herself to downshift all the way before coming to a stop. Which is a smart thing to do on an ebike as well for better drivetrain longevity.

Last edited:
gpburdell,

I appreciate your taking the time to comment. I understand what you're saying about "you're not really supposed to touch the ground while on the seat." When I lived/worked in Seattle, I commuted to work year round for 15 years (including frequently in pouring rain) on an analog Cannondale road bike. Was used to hopping off the saddle if I had to stop, and, no, I couldn't put my feet on the ground while in the saddle. And I thoroughly understand downshifting because Seattle has a lot of steep hills. However, now I'm a lot older and not as strong nor agile as I used to be. Will be riding a 75 lb ebike, not a light acoustic road bike. That's why I want to touch my toes to the ground while in the saddle if I have to. A shorter handlebar-height, shorter wheelbase ebike will also be easier to maneuver than a taller, longer bike.

Back