Specialized releases Turbo Tero X

gpburdell

Region
USA
Interesting. Full suspension Tero.

1677606728776.png

@Rich W. did a nice summary of findings on the Tero X in post #79

A thought to one point raised by Rich - I guess putting a flatbed rear rack would be problematic with the rear suspension config as the seatpost may hit any stored items there? Think the R&M Delite, Superdelite and Homage bikes with full suspension and a rear rack have tried to attach the rack to the non-moving elements hence the unusual design.

Think the R&M Delite, Superdelite and Homage bikes with full suspension and a rear rack have tried to attach the rack to the non-moving elements hence the unusual design.
The next competitors:

1677611706795.png

Trek Powerfly FS 9 Equipped.

1677611904139.png

Moustache Friday 27 Speed.

None of FS e-bikes with fixed rear rack offers the top plate. (@Rich W.)

I have put rear racks on many analog full suspension bikes, and see nothing in the Tero X's configuration that would've prevented Specialized from using the flatbed-style rack from a Vado. A bit of an oversight in my opinion, but hey, you can't have it all for just $6,500.00. 🤣

I definitely want to take a look at one when it becomes available. Court did a nice video review on this site. Downside with the mullet is having to carry two different tubes for emergency - but (knocking on wood) I haven't had any issues since going tubeless. Looks like fenders are sized for at least 2.35 in tires - tho the mud in that photo looks like it was cosmetically applied and not as a result of riding. The fender looks too clean and I wonder how well it will handle picked up mud/debris - hopefully better than the Vado SL's fenders do.

The next competitors:

View attachment 148073
Trek Powerfly FS 9 Equipped.

View attachment 148074
Moustache Friday 27 Speed.

None of FS e-bikes with fixed rear rack offers the top plate. (@Rich W.)

And the Giant Stormguard E+ 1 with belt and Enviolo Automatiq IGH, as well as suspended rear rack, 800Wh downtube battery (22700 cells) and optional extended battery!

MY23StormguardEplus1_ColorAHematite.jpg

They also have the E+1 with a simpler IGH

A good e-treking comparison article (done before the above was available...)

And the latest generation of Full suspension step thru e-bikes

Last edited:
And the Giant Stormguard E+ 1 with belt and Enviolo Automatiq IGH, as well as suspended rear rack, 800Wh downtube battery (22700 cells) and optional extended battery!
You are so right @scrambler and thank you very much for the wealth of information you provided!

Having spent a little time thinking about the Tero and Tero X - I am more inclined to invest in the Tero X - given that both are designed as a commuting/MTB fusion (not targeted for technically challenging routes) but the X has the FS which gives it the edge. Would the more seasoned riders/commentators here agree with that simple assessment?

Were I in a different position... (Too many good e-bikes with many spare batteries, no storage space...) I would definitely consider a demo ride on Tero X (when available; I'm sure the store would only let me ride the cheapest Tero X). If I liked it, I would go for X 6.0, as I really value a strong motor, big battery, and high-end components. The point is, I am an adventure cyclist, and I hardly ever commute on an e-bike. Given the variety of the terrain I'm riding including both the plains and the mountains (but nothing more technical than forest paths!), the Tero X is an attractive choice.

Now, If I were mostly to commute (with occasional adventure trips) that would be a Vado; my Vado meets almost all my needs except it is not good in a really rough terrain (tree roots are nightmarish!)

Bear in mind the Full Suspension is for maintaining traction; the ride comfort is a value added. Dropper seat-post? Well, it is nice to drop the seat on descents, move the butt above the rear wheel and bomb asphalt downhill while standing on pedals. (No, I would not bomb a technical singletrack!)

Now, depending on the Tero X version/price, you only get a lightweight air-fork in the X 6.0.

Shires: The split between your planned commute/recreations trip is...? How rough would be the hardest terrain you would be riding? What is the type of roads you would be riding? How steep hills? I tell you the Vado can be as much comfortable as the Tero X, it all depends on many factors.

Shires: The split between your planned commute/recreations trip is...? How rough would be the hardest terrain you would be riding? What is the type of roads you would be riding? How steep hills? I tell you the Vado can be as much comfortable as the Tero X, it all depends on many factors.
@Stefan Mikes i think I have made my mind up for my commute/occasional off road venture - Vado wins! I have put the order in.

I was just curious between the Tero 5.0 hardtail and any of the Tero X FS models. It's been tough finding a Tero 5.0 in the UK anyway and the Tero X is too new for me to burn my cash on - not an early adopter!

I’m in Florida on vacation for a few weeks riding my locally acquired Vado 4.0 and stopped into the local bike shop (Conte’s) to get a firmware update, saw a new Tero X 6.0 on the floor that was sold….. nice bike. I’d most likely want to ride one before I consider it to replace my 2022 Vado 5.0 I use in NJ daily. Really looks nice, can’t wait to test one. I sure hope that Specialized acknowledges I am a loyal customer even if they feel differently. Given all the previous heartaches, they should welcome my business. My 2 cents.

@GuruUno I realize this will differ by store, but was Conte's reasonably familiar with doing the software update?

They're the most convenient dealer for me since SBC's policies caused my preferred independent shop to drop the brand.

Wow. Interesting version of the Tero, keeps my hopes up :).

Before I decided on the Tero, I wanted the Trek PowerFly. Dual Suspension with racks! But at the time I believe it was $6500US, A bit much for what I was looking for.

SUV bike ( SUB? ) is a perfect term for these bikes... very cool. Theres a 6.0, interesting components verses the "regular" Tero 5.0, and the rest of the line up.

Thanks for the post!

@GuruUno I realize this will differ by store, but was Conte's reasonably familiar with doing the software update?

They're the most convenient dealer for me since SBC's policies caused my preferred independent shop to drop the brand.
Well, it really all depends on the people who are working the shift. Initially, the 1st guy who started the process for the update, seemed a bit bewildered as to how to proceed once he plugged in the USB to the display. Thankfully another more skilled employee took over the reigns and completed the update, which was quick and flawless.
In the real world, everything is relevant to who knows their job and how much training they get. Employees come and go, and as the old statement goes, "You can't have all Chief's and not Indians", meaning (I guess), that life is a crap-shoot, and that you hope you know enough to tell if the person is competent and capable vs. just showing up for a paycheck. I'm certain we all experience these types of scenarios on a daily basis. Even with mechanics for autos.
It reminds me of my previous dilemma with Trek ( I had 3 previous Trek e-bikes )...and during my ownership wanting to know as much as possible, after interacting with Bosch, they informed me that there were no "certified" Bosch/trained capable bike shops in the state of NJ, and that's when Trek told me to go away and bought me out. Same crazy day to day experiences for almost anything. It's all about buyer beware, know your products, do your homework. Long stories, all documented, may not be relevant here, but here in Florida, Conte's is the "go to" shop for Specialized. In Northern NJ it is Hilltop. Just make sure the LBS mechanics know their stuff, ask questions, become educated.

Well, I was ready to pull the trigger on the Tero 5.0, then I saw the review on the Tero X 6.0. after watching several videos and a couple of trips to local bike, I decided to order the Tero X 6.0, hopefully it doesn’t disappoint, as this will be my first e-bike. Looking to improve overall health, increase ride distance, trail ride and light commuting.

Attachments

• DD50D3E9-304D-4328-9F7B-60AE7B0F740A.jpeg
    DD50D3E9-304D-4328-9F7B-60AE7B0F740A.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 134
Well, I was ready to pull the trigger on the Tero 5.0, then I saw the review on the Tero X 6.0. after watching several videos and a couple of trips to local bike, I decided to order the Tero X 6.0, hopefully it doesn’t disappoint, as this will be my first e-bike. Looking to improve overall health, increase ride distance, trail ride and light commuting.
Please share your experiences when you have got the e-bike!

I picked up a 5.0 in mid March, and am coming from a Cannondale Synapse NEO SE. I added Ortlieb panniers, better pedals, a bar bag, cut an inch off each side of the bars, and it's set up tubeless, a must in New Mexico. So far so good. It's really fun to ride, a great commuter, great power and handling, comfortable, and the dropper is really cool on and off road. The negatives, range for sure. My Cannondale had an estimated range of over 150 miles in eco, and the Tero X displayed 25 miles of range at 91% charge. The range display also doesn't change regardless of being in Turbo or Eco, which is really lame, because it can't possibly be the same. It would be great if the headlight had different modes, like blink, or dim, because cyclists on the bike trail (especially roadies-why are they so angry?) have yelled at me about it. The light is also placed in a manner that doesn't allow me to use my favorite bar bag. I would love it if Specialized had something in mind for the cage on the bottom bracket, I can't seem to find anything that could fit there. Why not one of their SWAT gear bags? The rear rack is also a bit disappointing, I wish I could have run my Topeak MTX trunk bag, which is awesome. One more cool thing is being able to program power delivery in the different modes, it's pretty handy and works well. The app is kinda lame though, although I'm still learning. One odd thing is that the distance covered and odometer reading are different. Lastly, I do want to address that I'm aware that Class 3 ebikes are not technically allowed on bike trails in the US. I'm super respectful regardless of what bike I'm riding on trail, unlike a lot of folks I see riding the moto like throttle ebikes, which is lame. I get as mad at ebikes hauling ass on the trail as I do at roadies pacelining through congested areas. Oh, and the kickstand is cool too, although poorly designed, this thing is a heavy beast, and it's already hit the deck because it sunk into dirt. Gotta be really careful where you deploy it. That's it for now.

Attachments

• IMG_3122.jpg
    IMG_3122.jpg
    615.9 KB · Views: 240
  • Terox1.jpg
    Terox1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 261
  • IMG_3186.jpg
    IMG_3186.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_3187.jpg
    IMG_3187.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 224
I picked up a 5.0
Thank you for your review @Sopa!

Regarding the Range, I think the system will adjust the value after your brief ride, as this kind of systems calculates predicted Range based on the actual electricity consumption, external conditions, and your riding style. (Bosch systems calculate the Range in a very similar way). Additionally, you have the Range Trend parameter showing whether given situation makes you gain or lose the range.

Regarding the headlight, it might point too high. Please try adjusting it. (I was getting similar comments from pedestrians and cyclists on one of my night Vado SL rides, and was warned by a truck driver for my big Vado about the same).

How do you assess the riding comfort?

Back