Specialized releases Turbo Tero X

Rode some trails today with our friends with the Tero X's. Outside of the personal fit (as discussed earlier), their only real complaint is the SRAM RSC brakes. No matter what the LBS does (and I tried, too), we can get the engagement point to happen soon enough. LBS suggests TRP or Magura replacements. I personally like Shimano brakes, and dislike SRAM brakes if only because they use caustic, won't keep in an opened can even if you close it tight DOT fluid instead of plain ole' mineral oil.

SRAM RSC brakes. No matter what the LBS does (and I tried, too), we can get the engagement point to happen soon enough
(I assume you mean can't get the engagement point to happen soon enough).

I had noticed the adjustment for that has a ton of travel with very little effect. It's on my todo list to read the actual manual instead of just spinning the knob. But it sounds like that doesn't work?

(I assume you mean can't get the engagement point to happen soon enough).

I had noticed the adjustment for that has a ton of travel with very little effect. It's on my todo list to read the actual manual instead of just spinning the knob. But it sounds like that doesn't work?
Yes, meant can't get the engagement point to happen soon enough.

The adjustment turns in the opposite direction one would think based on the markings. For instance: https://www.mtbr.com/threads/guide-rsc-contact-point-adjustment.968966/

Curious if Tero X owners could answer a few questions? I have been using a Gazelle bike as my commuter/grocery getting/all-around fun bike. I was going to hang onto this but the twist shifter has been causing some wrist pain and I have a history of issues there.

Tero X 6.0 is very appealing for a few reasons.
90 nm torque / class 3
quiet motor (is it as quiet as the Vado 4/5.0? Both are advertised as Specialized 2.2)
excellent light with brights
comfort of the full suspension, wider tires, and the fact that it can open up a network of trails near me that can be used for commuting/fun off of the road.
READILY AVAILABLE (but not in white!)

So what are the downsides?

Off the bat my concerns are of course comfort for hand and wrist primarily. Is the frame overly stiff like some other ebikes? Reviews and owners seem to universally praise comfort, and the bike has a fairly upright position. I have tried etap and loved it, or maybe would consider upgrading to hydraulic. How is shifting effort?
It would be nice if the rear rack could hold more than 20 kg. Also looked at the Levo but it seems to be less designed around "SUV." The light carbon Levo on sale is calling out, but non-equipped = no go. Lastly, do owners find the size of the Tero to be obnoxious at bike rack parking?

Another option is the Delite HS Rohloff. Nice bike, but the main draw to me would be the suspended rack, fox suspension (is it much better?), probably better headlamp, horn (very hard to find a good horn like that), and overall look fit better in an urban environment. Downsides include very noisy motor, one LBS for service (who I haven't loved working with on my first bike), bike is about 2x the price with a long lead time. Even last-gen models near me are not discounted.

I think @Ben J will answer the most of these points but I could contribute with some remarks, too.

quiet motor (is it as quiet as the Vado 4/5.0? Both are advertised as Specialized 2.2)
Tero X models are numbered by the N+1 principle. Tero X 6.0 is like Tero/Vado 5.0. The same beautiful motor!

Also looked at the Levo but it seems to be less designed around "SUV."
Avoid making this mistake. Levo is purely an off-road e-bike. It made for technical singletrack only. You would suffer riding it in the city! It would even take no kickstand!

fox suspension (is it much better?)
It is far better than the default Suntour suspension.

Downsides include very noisy motor
You already own the most modern Bosch E-Bike. Want yet another one? :D

AR, the only downside for me is the Tero X weight. Why? My Vado 6.0 is 26.4 kg dry weight. I have found it difficult to lift & carry not only over a fallen tree or a causeway but also up the stairs (including places in the city infrastructure). If the heavy weight does not scare you off, the Tero X is one of the best e-bikes I've ever demo ridden!

READILY AVAILABLE (but not in white!)
I really wanted the white one but I didn't want to wait. So now I feel a bit relieved every time I see they still aren't making it.

Off the bat my concerns are of course comfort for hand and wrist primarily. Is the frame overly stiff like some other ebikes?
I can't say if it's "overly stiff". The suspension isn't squishy at all, though.

I would say hand and wrist comfort has been the toughest thing to get sorted on my Tero X. I'm 6'4 and got the XL frame, and even though I'm off the charts in terms of their size guide, I think the reach is a bit long, which makes it easy to lock my elbows without realizing it. It doesn't help that the bars are MTB-width (70mm wider than Vado flat bars). The stock grips are also terrible if you have XL-sized hands.

In the end the best changes I've made are: Switching grips to Ergon GP1 (more meat, especially on the inside, and the clamping mechanism is on the outside, increasing comfort when holding the grip as intended). Adding SQlabs innerbarends to have an alternate hand position. Adjusting the bars to get the sweep angles in the right place (LBS was casual about this when doing the original build). I've also improved my riding technique to avoid leaning on my hands, but it happens subconsciously.

Other changes I'm considering: Shortening the bars (kind of holding off until I take the bike on a trail aggressive enough to need the width), getting a shorter stem (annoying because of the integration with the bike systems).

do owners find the size of the Tero to be obnoxious at bike rack parking?
Forgot to answer this one in my first reply:

It's a lonng bike and it has a very slack headtube, so if you park "nose in" to a rack meant to hold the front wheel, your frame will be quite far from anything lockable. The tire width isn't an issue -- 2.35" isn't really that wide (MTB are mostly 2.6, 2.8). Side locking is no problem. You never really have to use the fat battery downtube for locking if you don't want to.

A bigger problem IMO is that there isn't much room on the frame to store anything, including a lock. If you were going to carry a serious city-grade U-lock with you, it would almost have to go in a pannier.

You already own the most modern Bosch E-Bike. Want yet another one? :D
It has the quietest motor they make outside of the lower torque active line models. Really need to learn my lesson and ignore the R&M bikes, I would hate listening to that constant shrieking of the louder motor. 😂
I really wanted the white one but I didn't want to wait. So now I feel a bit relieved every time I see they still aren't making it.
Good to know! Something to consider given that I live in Texas. Black would absolutely bake in the sun.
I can't say if it's "overly stiff". The suspension isn't squishy at all, though.

I would say hand and wrist comfort has been the toughest thing to get sorted on my Tero X. I'm 6'4 and got the XL frame, and even though I'm off the charts in terms of their size guide, I think the reach is a bit long, which makes it easy to lock my elbows without realizing it. It doesn't help that the bars are MTB-width (70mm wider than Vado flat bars). The stock grips are also terrible if you have XL-sized hands.

In the end the best changes I've made are: Switching grips to Ergon GP1 (more meat, especially on the inside, and the clamping mechanism is on the outside, increasing comfort when holding the grip as intended). Adding SQlabs innerbarends to have an alternate hand position. Adjusting the bars to get the sweep angles in the right place (LBS was casual about this when doing the original build). I've also improved my riding technique to avoid leaning on my hands, but it happens subconsciously.

Other changes I'm considering: Shortening the bars (kind of holding off until I take the bike on a trail aggressive enough to need the width), getting a shorter stem (annoying because of the integration with the bike systems).
Eek, this is concerning given my specific requirements. I'm 6'1" so could possibly size down from L to M. It's been said that increasing core strength can take some of the weight off of the hands. Working on that now. Would a comfort/swept handlebar be an option for you?

In any event, thanks for chiming in! These insights are invaluable.

I'm 6'1" so could possibly size down from L to M.
Be careful about that. I'm 5'8" and the size M felt just adequate to me. If you buy too a small frame, you are going to regret it! My brother is of similar height as you are and he needs the size L (which is 56 on road bikes).

It has the quietest motor they make outside of the lower torque active line models. Really need to learn my lesson and ignore the R&M bikes, I would hate listening to that constant shrieking of the louder motor. 😂

Good to know! Something to consider given that I live in Texas. Black would absolutely bake in the sun.

Eek, this is concerning given my specific requirements. I'm 6'1" so could possibly size down from L to M. It's been said that increasing core strength can take some of the weight off of the hands. Working on that now. Would a comfort/swept handlebar be an option for you?

In any event, thanks for chiming in! These insights are invaluable.
I have the Tero X 5. I’m 6’3 and with the large frame. I tried the XL in the Tero X and Vado and felt they were too stretched out for me. My large X 5 is the most comfortable bike I’ve ever ridden.

It's been said that increasing core strength can take some of the weight off of the hands. Working on that now.
It also helps to pedal more. This is why moving the seat back (which sounds backwards) is often recommended for hand numbness. When you're pedaling, the force of your legs is pivoting your weight around your butt, lifting up on the hands. A lot of bike fit guides assume you're pedaling hard the whole time. Us old guys getting back into the hobby don't quite match the profile!

Black would absolutely bake in the sun.
I live in the PNW, but I was out on my bike during our few baking hot weeks, and I didn't have an issue. No part of my skin touches the bike frame, so I didn't even notice if it was hot. I just think the white variant looks a little better. Less menacing.

Honestly, my "dove gray" (read "not quite white") Vado SL looks like hospital piping but the colour has grown on me :)
Having lived in disparate climates it's interesting how something can look amazing in one area and awful in another. I strongly preferred dark cars, bikes, etc. prior to moving to Texas where the heat and landscape are so different than the north. Now those are the least desirable colors in my mind (for practical as well as aesthetic reasons). I will spend hours outside in the very worst heat of the year, pushing the ebike to the limit. The fact that the battery cover is black does bother me a little, but it is what it is. Not going to curtail life for a device!

If I were buying a Vado SL at the right time, I would go for the 5.0 in this colour...

1698078377905.png

The picture does not show the beauty of that bluish 2021 model...

Anyone have experience overloading the pannier rack? 44 lbs isn’t a lot. Curious what would happen with ~60 lbs. Braking performance, handling issues, or possible failure of the rack itself?

Also looks like some Tero models have gone on sale, but not the 6.0 X. And confirmed that white has no ETA for in stock.

Anyone have experience overloading the pannier rack? 44 lbs isn’t a lot. Curious what would happen with ~60 lbs. Braking performance, handling issues, or possible failure of the rack itself?
I'm experienced with a 33 lbs rack of the Vado SL. Overload it, and it will get bent, moving the fender above the tyre and the fender will rub the tyre. However my sturdier Vado 44 lbs rack is far more forgiving. It would be hard to put more than 50 lbs gross on it anyway, which I often do (always split onto two panniers).

As for comfort, I cut 1" off each side of bars and added Ergon grips. I usually run about 35 psi in tires, and adjust suspension to soft for off road and hard for commute. The only downside for me is some of the parts are cheap, like the bell and light mount, both of which broke. I'm kind of glad the light mount broke, so now I can run my bar bag, but the light zip tied to cables is pretty cheesy. You'll want to put some loctite on the kickstand too. Aside from that, I'm doing about 300 miles a month and the bike has been solid, so far just a chain and a back tire have been changed out. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_4075.jpeg
    IMG_4075.jpeg
    506.9 KB · Views: 104
Back