Specialized releases Turbo Tero X

The Trail e-MTB such as Levo is not designed to be ridden on the pavement in the first place. It is slow and noisy there. It shines on technical singletrack, the worse the better.
It is like someone bought an off-road race car to drive it in the city (Levo), while urban dwellers actually ride their shiny SUVs in the city and perhaps occasionally visit some harder terrain (Tero X).

I wonder whether @Ben J has already ridden his Tero X off-road?

I wonder whether @Ben J has already ridden his Tero X off-road?
I took it on a couple of trails this evening that would have eaten a road bike, but not very technical because there was no elevation change. The worse of the two trails I would describe the effect as "take a field that gets marshy in the wet season. wait until it's just dry enough that you can drive a car on it. break a trail by driving a car down it, with the wheels breaking through sometimes. then let it dry completely and let wild grass grow up to obscure some of the ruts". Also it ended in stairs, so I think it's meant for walkers with indestructible ankles.

I'd like to take it on some singletrack, but it will take some planning because trail management in my area has ebike anxiety. I'm sure the bike far exceeds my skill anyway.

urban dwellers actually ride their shiny SUVs in the city and perhaps occasionally visit some harder terrain (Tero X).
Pretty much. Also in my case the best way from my house to everywhere else involves immediately going up a steep grade (ending in a short section of steep grade on gravel) with a transition on to an asphalt multi-use trail that has a lot of root damage. And until literally the day I got my Tero X, the steep section had 3 janky speedbump-like features. In the last week it has been repaved and it's super smooth.

A friend asked me about the differences between the Tero X 6.0 (which I initially pointed him at), and one of the Levo's (not sure which). Can someone summarize the geometry/philosophy differences, or point me at comparisons?
He's old, like me, and still goes off-road with his current acoustic Santa Cruz trail bike. He and his wife rented crummy Pedegos and took an easy ride with us, and are now thinking of getting eBikes that can do trails and pavement. They're not hard-core and don't do jumps, but do sometimes do singletracks and downhills.
TIA
Hi @smorgasbord, I test rode the Levo, Tero, and Tero X, and the choice was pretty clear to me, Tero X. Levo is for dedicated trail riding, and probably rips. The Tero could also be a good choice, lighter and more nimble than Tero X, but the Tero X is really comfortable and does equally well on pavement and dirt. It is heavy, so if your friend has to carry up stairs, it's not a good choice. Cheers!

the Tero X is really comfortable and does equally well on pavement and dirt. It is heavy, so if your friend has to carry up stairs, it's not a good choice. Cheers!
The trick is to start with an even heavier ebike. The Tero X feels pretty light to me! I also find that the gusset tube that connects the top tube and the seat tube makes an excellent carry handle. But there's no room in the frame triangle to throw it over your shoulder. Maybe you can hook the nose of the seat on your arm--I haven't tried that one.

Another thing about the Tero X if you have to do a lot of non-riding maneuvering is that the fenders go quite low on the back wheel, so standing it up on the back wheel and walking behind it just doesn't work. There is a plastic extension on the rear fender, but it's only a few inches long, and the fender still goes about halfway down. Compare to something like the Powerfly FS9 EQ where the fender only goes down about 45 degrees from vertical.

On Wednesday this week I went to the LBS to get a component replaced on my Vado. While there, I took a Tero X (6.0) for a ride to kill some time while they were doing the repair. I have to say, it is a very, very impressive bike. In a heartbeat, I might consider one IF I hit the lotto this year, but better, I'm going to await the improvement in the technology of battery chemistry to improve mileage, reduce weight and size, and THEN see what becomes available.
So, unless by some miracle I find a killer deal, I'll keep the Vado for the foreseeable future. But the Tero X is one awesome ride!

Last edited:
Hi @smorgasbord, I test rode the Levo, Tero, and Tero X, and the choice was pretty clear to me, Tero X. Levo is for dedicated trail riding, and probably rips. The Tero could also be a good choice, lighter and more nimble than Tero X, but the Tero X is really comfortable and does equally well on pavement and dirt. It is heavy, so if your friend has to carry up stairs, it's not a good choice. Cheers!
My friends (a couple) ended up buying Tero X 6.0s for themselves! We went riding last weekend and had a blast, although they complained a bit about shoulder/arm/hand pain after the longish ride (32 miles). So, they're looking at stem/handlebar replacement to raise them a bit. They did a bunch of exploring for packs for the rear racks and I think decided the Specialized ones were the only decent ones.

Their bikes are really nice. I got to ride one a short distance and the Brose motor is very responsive to pedal inputs compared to my Bafang M620. We bought our Luna Apollos just before Covid hit, when there weren't as many options for full suspension high-powered bicycles. If ours got wrecked or stolen we'd probably buy Tero 6's for ourselves. I especially like that they use the SRAM 12-speed X01 drivetrain; the shifter even has "e-mtb" labeling now. We're running SRAM GX on our Lunas, with X01 chains. I didn't see that they have shifter power disablers running - is that not a thing for non-Bafang bikes?

This past ride was pavement, but our next ride is going to be off-road trails, so not nearly as long a distance.

Last edited:
Wait for the new Pinion e-drive equipped bikes :)

Nice! Hopefully our Apollos will last as many years as it takes for the Pinions to hit the market at reasonable configurations and prices.

I didn't see that they have shifter power disablers running - is that not a thing for non-Bafang bikes?
Not. Everybody who can ride a derailleur mid-motor e-bike will easy up with or stop pedalling during the shifting (same as you press the clutch pedal in a manual transmission car).

although they complained a bit about shoulder/arm/hand pain after the longish ride (32 miles). So, they're looking at stem/handlebar replacement to raise them a bit.

Wait for them replacing saddles soon because of the butt pain :)

Not. Everybody who can ride a derailleur mid-motor e-bike will easy up with or stop pedalling during the shifting (same as you press the clutch pedal in a manual transmission car).

Wait for them replacing saddles soon because of the butt pain :)
By the time that 'this and that' are replaced, updated, fixed or otherwise remediated, I'll be dead.

By the time that 'this and that' are replaced, updated, fixed or otherwise remediated, I'll be dead.
You simply need to make a wise choice of the bike size first and get it fit next. Or, just ride the e-bike "as is" and get used to it. People think they buy a cruiser bike but Tero X Is not a cruiser bike. Specialized knows the business, and the newbies often buy e-bikes they are not familiar with or made for a different purpose.

The people described above did not understand what type of e-bike they were buying. They have been not used to riding that e-bike type. So they consider "raising the bars". That will affect their asses next.

You Bob complain on your sore butt. It is the consequence of your earlier mods.

I was like you in the past. I learned a lot. Now, I can painlessly ride for 163 miles in less than 13 hours net or less than 27 hours gross. Because I learned the Specialized e-bikes and equipment have been designed for a purpose.

You can see me using more and more of Specialized gear and clothing. They really can understand what cycling is.

although they complained a bit about shoulder/arm/hand pain after the longish ride (32 miles).
That's the main issue I've had with mine. Part of it I mentioned in my bike thread: The "ergonomic MTB grips" are not very ergonomic if you have big hands (or just set up your cockpit wrong). It's easy to hold those grips in a way that directly pushes on the middle of your palm.

The other part is getting the handlebar rotation in the stem just right. I may end up getting a whole new handlebar. They have a rise that is probably great if you are riding singletrack (standing over the bike) but do tend to push out your elbows if you are just sitting down and riding distances.

I just watched a vid on that yesterday. Looks pretty impressive. Makes my 3 or 4 yr old Como and Vado5 look like antiques already.

Hell is paved with such contraptions :D
I would expect more excitement about the new Bosch SX motor. At least Bosch E-Bike is huge and the SX motor will find its way to the e-bike manufacturing for sure.

Hell is paved with such contraptions :D
I would expect more excitement about the new Bosch SX motor. At least Bosch E-Bike is huge and the SX motor will find its way to the e-bike manufacturing for sure.
I am surprised at your take on this.
Combining the motor and the gearbox is clearly the way to go, and the first two announced products like the Valeo / effigear and the Pinion e-drive seems to be doing a great job at it.

This is clearly the future for e-bikes.

I am surprised at your take on this.
Combining the motor and the gearbox is clearly the way to go, and the first two announced products like the Valeo / effigear and the Pinion e-drive seems to be doing a great job at it.

This is clearly the future for e-bikes.
Let's see what the future holds.
We've been impressed with many e-bike inventions for a long time but not many held up.

Maybe not so clear. It puts a lot more force through the chain/belt, and on a full suspension bike that can interact badly with suspension.

Centrally located pinion gearboxes have existed for a long time, and It is the same for any IGH that have a fixed size rear sprocket, but I never read anything documenting such an issue with them.

I could only think of an issue from more tension in the belt/chain if the rear triangle and axle were flimsy, which is certainly not the case on an e-bike.

Last edited:
I rode my Tero on some of the best single track I've ever ridden last weekend in Frisco, CO. The bike was very out of place with fenders and a kickstand, but it held up well. Got a few grumpy remarks from folks who don't like ebikes on their trails, but whatever, we had a blast! We also rode the green trails in the pump track / terrain park area, which is amazing. There were some riders hitting the double black trails with huge gaps, drops, and jumps that were seriously scary just to watch. Anyway, just wanted to report that this bike can handle full on mtb trails no problem, and I highly recommend this trail system. Frisco, CO doesn't suck!

Attachments

• IMG_3585.jpeg
    IMG_3585.jpeg
    574.1 KB · Views: 146
I really like that TeroX very much. If only it weren't so damn expensive. The TeroX is more than twice....and nearly three times the price of my new Vado SL 4.0. I need a better job.

Back