Specialized releases Turbo Tero X

Welp, they sold out of the Tero X 6.0 in Large. Almost regret not placing an order given their generous return policy.
I have my demo tomorrow, albeit an X 4.0 which was all we have in town.

I'm about one inch in height and shin length from being a medium according to the Specialized recommendations. Have you all tried multiple sizes? The difficulty in all of this is my bike is a total car replacement. 20-30 miles daily on average. It all comes down to comfort.

Last edited:
Welp, they sold out of the Tero X 6.0 in Large. Almost regret not placing an order given their generous return policy. Some of the other Tero models are currently on sale, PSA.
I have my demo tomorrow, albeit an X 4.0 which was all we have in town.

I'm about one inch in height and shin length from being a medium according to the Specialized recommendations. Have you all tried multiple sizes? The difficulty in all of this is my bike is a total car replacement. 20-30 miles daily on average. It all comes down to comfort.
I’ve tried the M, L, and XL. I’m 6’3 and felt most comfortable on the large frame. I absolutely love the Tero X 5. The majority of my rides are on trails, rails to trails, gravel, and pavement in my neighborhood. I don’t commute anywhere but ride everyday. The bike does exactly what I need it to do and is super comfortable. The suspension is very plush and there’s very little “bob” while pedaling which makes this bike very efficient. I took it on a fairly difficult technical trail today with a lot of rocks, roots, and climbs and it did amazingly well all while wearing panniers. I wouldn’t typically ride a trail like that with bags but it was a last minute decision to hit that trail. I sometimes wish it had the gearing of the Vado 4 as that is a much faster bike due to the larger chain ring. I wouldn’t want to give up the suspension or the great climbing of the X though. My wife loved my bike so much she wanted something similar. She went from never wanting another bike other than her Himiway Zebra but she now has a Vado 4 mid step. It’s a killer bike but not the X that I wish would’ve gotten.

I’ve tried the M, L, and XL. I’m 6’3 and felt most comfortable on the large frame. I absolutely love the Tero X 5. The majority of my rides are on trails, rails to trails, gravel, and pavement in my neighborhood. I don’t commute anywhere but ride everyday. The bike does exactly what I need it to do and is super comfortable. The suspension is very plush and there’s very little “bob” while pedaling which makes this bike very efficient. I took it on a fairly difficult technical trail today with a lot of rocks, roots, and climbs and it did amazingly well all while wearing panniers. I wouldn’t typically ride a trail like that with bags but it was a last minute decision to hit that trail. I sometimes wish it had the gearing of the Vado 4 as that is a much faster bike due to the larger chain ring. I wouldn’t want to give up the suspension or the great climbing of the X though. My wife loved my bike so much she wanted something similar. She went from never wanting another bike other than her Himiway Zebra but she now has a Vado 4 mid step. It’s a killer bike but not the X that I wish would’ve gotten.
Based on the Specialized measurement tool (and estimating your shin length), XL was probably the recommendation then? Well that's good to hear you also sized down!

If a Vado 5.0 IGH was available I would scoop that up (and I've read all the IGH complaints), but local Spec can't tell me anything. Someone on EBR said it's going to be sometime in 2024.

Glad to hear hear you find it to be comfortable and capable. The Tero X 6.0 has major benefits for me despite the speed, and I'm currently riding a class 1. If I could hit 25 on the flat with substantial effort that would be more than enough. For the more nimble/fun bike I'm thinking Creo 2 or Diverge anyhow. One SUV, one sports car, and then of course I have some old bikes to take down town for a night out. Just thinking out loud :D

Based on the Specialized measurement tool (and estimating your shin length), XL was probably the recommendation then? Well that's good to hear you also sized down!

If a Vado 5.0 IGH was available I would scoop that up (and I've read all the IGH complaints), but local Spec can't tell me anything. Someone on EBR said it's going to be sometime in 2024.

Glad to hear hear you find it to be comfortable and capable. The Tero X 6.0 has major benefits for me despite the speed, and I'm currently riding a class 1. If I could hit 25 on the flat with substantial effort that would be more than enough. For the more nimble/fun bike I'm thinking Creo 2 or Diverge anyhow. One SUV, one sports car, and then of course I have some old bikes to take down town for a night out. Just thinking out loud :D
I too was interested in the Vado 5 IGH. My lbs told me June of 2024. Hopefully they will have fixed any issues the Automatic was having or will just go with the twist shift which would be preference
And yes, according to the Specialized chart the XL frame was the suggested size. But getting in the saddle and riding is the only way to tell what is the best fit.

^ Hope this info helps.... I've got a Como 5.0 IGH (UK model not one of your fancy US class 3 jobbies!), the automatiq is great but there does seem to be a fair bit of resistance if you ever ride it unassisted, what this means is that the battery only takes me about 6-7 mile per 10% decrease. I live in a moderately hilly area (but not mountainous!) and only ever run in eco mode set to 25/25, so that surprised me a little as I thought I'd get a little more range out of it... I'm not concerned about top speed at all but got the 5.0 IGH for the Step thru frame, belt drive (it really is so smooth!), Automatiq hub (just because I fancied it), air forks, larger capacity 710Wh battery and the 90nm motor. These last 2 points might seem at odds with always running it at in eco mode (25/25 and fast/faster cadence) but I'm trying to get a bit of a work out from it without straining my dodgy old legs, I carry some knee & leg injuries and I like the reassurance that I'd be able to get home if they ever give out on me!

Gotta say the Tero X 6.0 looks the absolute "Dogz B*llox" as we say in the UK, it wouldn't really suit my use case terribly well but that doesn't stop me lusting over it!

^ Hope this info helps.... I've got a Como 5.0 IGH (UK model not one of your fancy US class 3 jobbies!), the automatiq is great but there does seem to be a fair bit of resistance if you ever ride it unassisted, what this means is that the battery only takes me about 6-7 mile per 10% decrease. I live in a moderately hilly area (but not mountainous!) and only ever run in eco mode set to 25/25, so that surprised me a little as I thought I'd get a little more range out of it... I'm not concerned about top speed at all but got the 5.0 IGH for the Step thru frame, belt drive (it really is so smooth!), Automatiq hub (just because I fancied it), air forks, larger capacity 710Wh battery and the 90nm motor. These last 2 points might seem at odds with always running it at in eco mode (25/25 and fast/faster cadence) but I'm trying to get a bit of a work out from it without straining my dodgy old legs, I carry some knee & leg injuries and I like the reassurance that I'd be able to get home if they ever give out on me!

Gotta say the Tero X 6.0 looks the absolute "Dogz B*llox" as we say in the UK, it wouldn't really suit my use case terribly well but that doesn't stop me lusting over it!
Yep, that's the IGH itself. The Automatiq or Manual twist control simply select the gearing.

And not surprisingly I found that the Tero 4.0 was vastly easier to ride unassisted than my Gazelle with IGH. :) I really enjoyed riding on the 5.0 Automatiq, but never had an issue with with derailleur shifting.

Quick thoughts on Tero X 4.0:

Rear suspension was fantastic.
Motor power felt natural, more than my new Bosch (which is belt driven)
Quietest/least annoying motor I've heard.
Tires less noisy than expected.
Got it up to 40 km/h with ease, not enough room to go faster.
Noticeably lighter than my Gazelle C380, noticeably easier to ride unassisted (on mostly flat terrain)

Tero shifters and brakes seemed to require more effort than bikes I've ridden recently
Size large Geometry OK, felt appropriate in size but curious to step down in size if that helps with comfort (salesperson also said M would be better)
Vibration to hands OK. I think better than my Gazelle especially especially given the geometry had me putting a lot more weight on the hands.
Diverge Comp Carbon (Future Shock 2.0) had much less hand vibration and less impact over bumps.

Is the front shock on the X 6.0 drastically better?

Edit: Tero X 6.0 sold out in every size and color. Nothing nearby in stores either. Oh well!

Last edited:

Someone on Reddit mentioned to me there is a find bike button on the specialized website that finds specific models at nearby stores. I was able to find some Vado 5.0 IGH's this way. One bike store mentioned they could also pre-order one to my house. Sadly the price is higher than I wanted to pay, especially since it was just $4000. I am also now looking into the Tero X line.

Follow the link and click "find in store"

Is the front shock on the X 6.0 drastically better?
It is drastically better. I am not sure whether the Recon Silver RL is steel or air spring but is is an entry level fork while the Lyrik Select + is a high end one, and it is for sure an air spring with many adjustments. Bear in mind, a good suspension fork is incredibly expensive!

I would rather worry about the smallish battery and lower power motor on Tero X 4.0 (the specs are as for Tero 3.0).
Yea they may not be close per se but some are willing to ship. Also some can pre order from the next batch.
Sometimes (rarely) I realise how big a country the United States is :)

I would rather worry about the smallish battery and lower power motor on Tero X 4.0 (the specs are as for Tero 3.0).
In hindsight, if I had a Tero X 4.0 instead of a 6.0 I don't think I would have lost any real capability. That's despite the fact that I'm heavy and I live in a hilly area. I never would have drained the battery, and I never would have run out of power. I use TURBO about 1% of the time and TRAIL fairly sparingly (and I forget what I have it set to, but I think it's 50/70, so slightly less power than the 4.0).

I mostly bought a 6.0 because I have a bad habit of under-buying and then re-buying and spending more overall (hence my Aventure.2!) so I figured I'd go right to the top.

I've put a lot of miles on my new Tero X 5 over the last week and it's been stellar. The power is perfect, the range is great, and the bike overall is extremely versatile. I do kind of wish it had the Vado gearing but it's not a big deal. I was riding with my wife today who just got a new Vado 4 and I hate to admit that it was a little hard to keep up with her. We both were in eco mode, at least she said she was. I wouldn't be surprised if she was in sport or turbo as she does like speed😁

It is drastically better. I am not sure whether the Recon Silver RL is steel or air spring but is is an entry level fork while the Lyrik Select + is a high end one, and it is for sure an air spring with many adjustments. Bear in mind, a good suspension fork is incredibly expensive!

Sometimes (rarely) I realise how big a country the United States is :)
Yeah, I was googling Fox suspensions a while back : D

In any event, Tero X 4, 5, and 6 sold out online overnight, and no stores nearby have the 6. Wanted a torque boost over what I have already, as well as the better suspension parts, so that idea is out.
Diverge was simply more comfortable for me, so likely placing the order tomorrow. Gonna be sure to test the next iteration of the Tero X because it was really cool! Surprisngly nimble and fun ride.

In hindsight, if I had a Tero X 4.0 instead of a 6.0 I don't think I would have lost any real capability. That's despite the fact that I'm heavy and I live in a hilly area. I never would have drained the battery, and I never would have run out of power. I use TURBO about 1% of the time and TRAIL fairly sparingly (and I forget what I have it set to, but I think it's 50/70, so slightly less power than the 4.0).

I mostly bought a 6.0 because I have a bad habit of under-buying and then re-buying and spending more overall (hence my Aventure.2!) so I figured I'd go right to the top.
If I were smart, I would have bought a Tero X 6 right away too. Live and learn. lol

Back