Specialized Levo FSR Comp

rede

Just purchased new Levo. Great handling bike, but have had an issue with motor control. It has an intermittent problem when changing gears, or restarting pedaling after coasting. Sometimes it reacts normally, and immediately responds to pedal torque. At other times, it seems to not turn on, or turn on late, and be more difficult to pedal, almost like you're pedaling against a brake. I have downloaded the Mission Control app, but there are no instructions for it, but I seem to have understood most of it. Anyone have setup experience with this.

I remember someone else having a similar problem, turned out it was a sensor that needed to be adjusted. Maybe give a call to your shop and see if they have an idea.

One note, @rede, do you have either foot on one of the pedals at the time of powering up the bike? This will give the motor controller a false reading on the torque sensor, a pressure based sensor and might be an issue. If that's not the case, definitely contact your shop.

Thanks for the replies. I had the bike back to the shop, and they couldn't duplicate the problem, but they only went for a short ride. I went out for a 25 mile ride yesterday, and started having the intermittent problem after about 15-16 miles. At about 20 miles, I was wondering if I would make it. This was on the return home which is a long uphill climb, and it feels like the drive train is shutting off and/or binding. Doing a test ride today on more hills. Service response has been good, but no solution yet.

It's a good idea to keep a log of the problem to help with dx.

How many miles, what sort of terrain, speed, etc.

Good luck!

@rede, how is the bike doing? I just got mine, no issues...but also not many miles. The will change this weekend.

How are folks treating their batteries, full discharge first or just topping off after each ride?

Just purchased new Levo. Great handling bike, but have had an issue with motor control. It has an intermittent problem when changing gears, or restarting pedaling after coasting. Sometimes it reacts normally, and immediately responds to pedal torque. At other times, it seems to not turn on, or turn on late, and be more difficult to pedal, almost like you're pedaling against a brake. I have downloaded the Mission Control app, but there are no instructions for it, but I seem to have understood most of it. Anyone have setup experience with this.
@rede, how is the bike doing? I just got mine, no issues...but also not many miles. The will change this weekend.

How are folks treating their batteries, full discharge first or just topping off after each ride?

Rede - After much consternation, Specialized decided to replace the battery, and for the first time the Mission Control would display the battery and motor details and conditions. I finally related the problem to motor temperature. Eventually, on long uphill climbs, the motor temperature got up into the 180F range where the Mission Control folks said the control starts to reduce the power. Then Specialized decided to replace the entire bike. The new bike is decidedly better in terms of control, but I still notice some loss of power on long uphill climbs, which may again be related to motor temperature. I also have a clicking/squeaking noise from the bottom bracket, similar to what you hear when the cranks are loose. It goes away temporarily if you back pedal a bit and then go forward again. I'm going to take some more rides using lower power settings, and try to confirm if any problems are related to the motor temperature. Not sure what to do about the noise.

Back