My customized Luna X2 and Specialized Turbo Levo Comp Alloy Demo

IOUZIP

Region
USA
Last weekend I went to Croomfest in Brooksville, FL and they had demo bikes. I jumped on a Turbo Comp Alloy size S4 and hit a section of trail (red south) I know well. It was interested to compare as my Luna X2 medium is modified in almost every way. Fox Float X rear shock, 160mm Fox 38 embt tuned fork, 27.5 DT Swiss wheels and 350 hubs, schwalbe magic merry and big betty tires, Wolftooth 1 degree head tube, Fox Transfer seat dropper, Luna riser handle bar, Shimano XT CS-M8100 cassette 12 speed 10-45t, and v2 Luna Ludi controller. The Specialized Levo was stock and is the first ebike other than Luna I have ever rode at Croom. I have rode with a group of 4 Levo's at Croom before which was cool and now I got a chance to see how it felt riding one. Sadly I did not have time to ride any real technical areas at Croom but it felt better than I though it would. It did jump very well on a few of the roots and log jumps I tested. I rode 100% as I had 45 min and 10 miles to cover which meant I was hitting the 20mph limiter there and back on the pavement. I see why so many love the Levo. I am considering getting a second ebike and the Levo would be my choice. Keeping the Luna X2 as it is awesome with $3k of parts added. The other ebike is my wifes Powerfly 4 FS.

1675797717663.png

Last edited:
I decided to order the Specialized Levo Expert Carbon. It was on sale! I debated long and hard but decided it was time to get new trail bike. I will keep the X2. New bike day is next week.

I decided to order the Specialized Levo Expert Carbon. It was on sale! I debated long and hard but decided it was time to get new trail bike. I will keep the X2. New bike day is next week.
Is the new bike the Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon?

No the full fat. I’m too old and heavy for a SL. 215lb I need all the power.

Well, is the Expert as good as you expected?
Good question. I have 3 rides on it and have already changed a few things handlebars 50mm rise, 36T chainring, Eddy Current Tires. The bike is a great platform but like any bike you have to customize it for you and the trails you ride. Currently I am using Shockwiz to fine tune the suspension. I rode a well know trail yesterday and the front suspension was pinging me back every hit with the Specialized suggested settings. The Specialized tires kept me on my toes in every corner I pushed. 1 and 2 wheel slides thus the switch to Schwalbe tires. Getting use to the different seat angle of Levo 76 deg vs. the slacker Luna 74.5 deg. After getting the Levo suspension dialed in it will be interesting to switch bikes and see the difference back to back. Very happy with the decision to get the Levo.

1678026605115.png
1678026782784.png

Last edited:
What's the difference between the Expert and S-Works? What size did you get? As you get experience with both bikes, let us know how it is going!

I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I've been riding out at Balm Boyette and doing the night rides. There are several folks with Specialized eMtb bikes, and a smaller number of other brands.

Expert has Carbon frame and was the cheapest model with Fox 38 fork. S-Works has higher priced components. Specialized web site covers the differences in better detail. Expert $8k vs S-Works $15k
S4 is the size I have. My Levo Expert I added a few new parts. 38t chainring, Cascade Components Link, 50mm rise handlebar, Magicshine Headlight, front and rear fenders, SQ Labs Grips, Selle Bike seat and Schwabe Eddy Current tires. Been riding almost every weekend at Croom in Brooksville. Riding Southern Comfort, Drunken Monkey, and the Pits. The Levo is a different ebike to the Luna, I wish I had installed a 29 in front fork and wheel on the Luna as it does make a difference riding. I tell people the Luna X2 is like a Muscle Car and the Levo is like a sports car.

It's been 3 months and I have not wanted to get back on the Luna X2 since riding the Levo. I will hold onto the Luna X2 for now.

the front suspension was pinging me back every hit with the Specialized suggested settings
Have you opened the fork to see how many tokens it has? I was surprised that the tuning suggestions (including the one on RockShox's own site) give numbers for zero tokens even though the forks ship with some installed (in the case of mine, 3).

I am glad you are enjoying your Levo!! I am not sure what Levo my neighbor has but he is looking to get an X2. He does fine on the steep single tracks we have here in the White Mountains of Arizona, but when it gets rocky AND steep he watches me glide over stuff with my throttle. He walks.... I'm sure some purists would never have a throttle, but for me it makes it safer with no pedal strikes...

The Levo is a different ebike to the Luna, I wish I had installed a 29 in front fork and wheel on the Luna as it does make a difference riding. I tell people the Luna X2 is like a Muscle Car and the Levo is like a sports car.
Can you expand a bit more on the above? Sounds like something I'd tell the guys showing up for track time (not 1/4 mile) in Mustangs and Camaros, versus a bunch of turbo Miatas, Porsches, etc..
Glad you're happy with the new ride!

Back