Sondors first impressions

Hi all! I'm new both here and to e-bikes...as most new Sondors owners probably are. My black/yellow Sondors was delivered here in Orange County, CA on July 6th...the same day I brought home my OTHER new electric vehicle, a Fiat 500e! I'll say that assembly was fairly easy with video assistance via my cell phone. I was impressed by the packaging and found no defects or damage. First riding impressions were positive I'll post more when I have more riding time under my belt. For now I'm spending more time playing with our "Electric Orange" Fiat EV. What a blast!

Thanks, @StaceyR ! Hope you both have a lot of fun with the bikes; please keep posting and add pictures if you can. Oh yeah, congrats on the electric car, too!

I am 6' 240 and the Sondors is my first ebike so forgive my lack of knowledge. I had a local bike shop put mine together and the staff said it was a solid bike. Nothing top of the line but one of the employees had heard of the bike CF and said he did not think the components and overall product would be this nice (after a lot of lube and adjusting almost everything, $107 total).
I do not have anything to compare it to, but after the first ride I am extremely happy with my purchase. I live in FL and couldn't find a hill if I tried so I think this is the right fit for me. I downloaded an app to measure my first trip and I went 12.5 miles on full throttle and very little peddle assist. I noticed a decrease in acceleration but still had a lot of juice when I got home. From some other user reviews I've decided not to trust the power gage which seems like nothing but pretty lights. I am going to run it until it dies in the near future and will update. I've already learned more about ebikes than I ever would have imagined from forums like this. For a beginner like me I consider the Sondors a good first ebike. Hopefully the conversations and reviews can become a little more about the bikes. Great forum, thanks!

Thanks for the feedback @MD33 ! Yeah, those 3 or 4 LED battery gauges don't tell too much. Remember, when the bike is under load, like on those fictitious Florida hills or during a quick power burst, that meter is not indicating battery level only that its under load. Got to be on flat ground at average speed or at a stop to get any semi-valid reading. If you want another doo-dad for the bike that gives a little more information on battery level, spend $50 and get a Watts-up meter. If you have a couple of pics of where you're riding, please share! :)

@MD33 Hope you enjoy your new eBike.. I live in FL as well, and an eBike is a great way to go for a ride in the summer.. Those !battery LEDs are a joke, no matter what bike they are on.. You will find out, over time, what those LEDs actually mean, if you use it with an odometer...

My only suggestion to you is to purchase an extra battery.. They are incredibly inexpensive, and are Samsung cells. Nothing better than two batteries; when the first one dies, you know you have 50% left!

Those !battery LEDs are a joke, no matter what bike they are on.. You will find out, over time, what those LEDs actually mean, if you use it with an odometer...
+1, so true! With experience all will be revealed.

@Ann M. Thanks for the suggestion on the Watts-up meter, it seems like a good investment. I will put up a GoPro video on my next long ride so people can hear the sound of tires, brakes etc. Hopefully I can get some help from here if something doesn't sound right. At first I thought the tires were a little loud but now I don't even notice them. I feel like a little kid with this thing.

I am 6' 240 and the Sondors is my first ebike so forgive my lack of knowledge. I had a local bike shop put mine together and the staff said it was a solid bike. Nothing top of the line but one of the employees had heard of the bike CF and said he did not think the components and overall product would be this nice (after a lot of lube and adjusting almost everything, $107 total).
I do not have anything to compare it to, but after the first ride I am extremely happy with my purchase. I live in FL and couldn't find a hill if I tried so I think this is the right fit for me. I downloaded an app to measure my first trip and I went 12.5 miles on full throttle and very little peddle assist. I noticed a decrease in acceleration but still had a lot of juice when I got home. From some other user reviews I've decided not to trust the power gage which seems like nothing but pretty lights. I am going to run it until it dies in the near future and will update. I've already learned more about ebikes than I ever would have imagined from forums like this. For a beginner like me I consider the Sondors a good first ebike. Hopefully the conversations and reviews can become a little more about the bikes. Great forum, thanks!

I would suggest to not take the battery down to " dead" on the first dozen or so rides. Its usually best to break in a battery and not overstress it right away.

If you have any type of ability to solder, you can buy a inexpensive LCD voltmeter off of ebay and solder it inline coming off your battery wires then attach the meter to the bike . This will give you a inexpensive but accurate way of seeing your batterys voltage , under load , which will tell you how close to empty your battery is while riding the bike.

Or you can spend more money on a wattmeter, that will tell you a bunch of things { that you may not need to know} ..like

watt hours used, amp hours used, voltage, etc.

For most people, all they really need is to know the voltage sag on their battery while the ebike is being ridden.

For example,. on my 48 volt ebike, when my LCD reads around 44 volts, I know I am getting close to the battery losing power.

I use a Watts Up meter. The best part, for me, is that it measures the amp hours on a ride. So basically you can see how much battery is left. You have to run it down to know what the real capacity is, but after that you can say fairly precisely what is left. Plus you can see how many watts you are using. There are knock-off units on Amazon/Ebay and at Hobby King. You will find some reviews on YouTube of some of them

There is a lot of negative energy on this forum about the Sondors bike and CF, but generally the idea is to get people on ebikes. The way that box works, all the room inside, you probably have some good options for a second or replacement battery.

If a person will only be riding on flat road surfaces, then it is likely that this sondors ebike will work fine for them, if they weigh more then 200 lbs.

For me, this sondors ebike would not have a chance of travelling up our hilly roadways .

I use a Watts Up meter. The best part, for me, is that it measures the amp hours on a ride. So basically you can see how much battery is left. You have to run it down to know what the real capacity is, but after that you can say fairly precisely what is left. Plus you can see how many watts you are using. There are knock-off units on Amazon/Ebay and at Hobby King. You will find some reviews on YouTube of some of them

There is a lot of negative energy on this forum about the Sondors bike and CF, but generally the idea is to get people on ebikes. The way that box works, all the room inside, you probably have some good options for a second or replacement battery.
\
I have a wattsmeter and also have a simple inexpensive LCD voltage meter on my wifes ebike. I have found that the LCD voltage meter is a cheaper and simplier alternative to keeping track of battery power. I think most newbies, really don't need a more expensive wattmeter and a $ 6 LCD voltmeter off ebay, will provide them with the info they need on their battery power levels.

A lot of the cheap LCD units are limited to 20v or 30v. Be sure to get something that is at least 50v for a 36v battery system.

Doesn't this "upgraded battery" have a low voltage cut-off? If so, you really can't run the battery all the way to zero and risk damage??

Doesn't this "upgraded battery" have a low voltage cut-off? If so, you really can't run the battery all the way to zero and risk damage??

Its impossible to rum the battery to zero....because the motor wont run once the battery voltage goes down below certain voltage,

My suggestion is based on not running the ebike to the point that the motor and the BMS cutout.

For the first dozen or so drives, its best to not take the battery all the way down to the point of the BMS kicking off.

A lot of the cheap LCD units are limited to 20v or 30v. Be sure to get something that is at least 50v for a 36v battery system.

yes....for my wifes ebike, I purchased a LCD meter that would read as high as 60 volts.

the sondors on;ly needs to read as high as 50 volts.

My suggestion is for anyone who bought one of these sondors ebikes, is to take the time and read info on

endless sphere.com

you need to learn about the basics of your ebike, motor, battery, etc.

My bike has the 3 led battery life indicator, it's actually useful for me as I have an odometer. It's accurate when it's under no load or motor assist. When the red light turns on which is the last light under no load, I know I have about 10-12 miles left of battery.
A watt or LCD meter will tell me more in details but my handlebar is too clustered as it is. Brake lever, bell, light, front basket, odometer, gear shifter, led, I can't possible add anything else.

My suggestion is for anyone who bought one of these sondors ebikes, is to take the time and read info on

endless sphere.com

you need to learn about the basics of your ebike, motor, battery, etc.
Tha
My bike has the 3 led battery life indicator, it's actually useful for me as I have an odometer. It's accurate when it's under no load or motor assist. When the red light turns on which is the last light under no load, I know I have about 10-12 miles left of battery.
A watt or LCD meter will tell me more in details but my handlebar is too clustered as it is. Brake lever, bell, light, front basket, odometer, gear shifter, led, I can't possible add anything else.
I am new to this so am a little confused by adding an odometer. How would I attach that to my bike (still confused on how it works) and do you have any brand suggestions?
@ebikedelight Great website for info at first glance. Thank you!

I attach my voltmeter to the top horizontal frame bar. .

@MD33 - you can buy a bicycle computer or odometer anywhere (Walmart) or cheaper on ebay ranging on average $5 - 15 dollars. This is what I use and I wish I have gotten a smaller one to save space on my handlebar. http://www.banggood.com
Here's a nice small one with back lights http://www.banggood.com/Multifunction-Super-Large-Screen-Bicycle-Odometer-Bike-Computer-p-77739.html
It comes with instructions on how to install, basically you attached a magnet on your front wheel spoke, then attach the wired sensor to your fork using zip ties, then attach the computer to the other end of the wired sensor and you're done installing. Very simple. You still have to program the computer by letting it know how big your wheels are to calculate speed, miles etc. All of this will be explained on the instruction.

Back