Sondors first impressions

Barent Hoffman is trying o offer an upgraded battery for the Sondors. 36v 12.8 ah for $295 delivered in USA. And chargers for $35. Seems like a great deal. 420 wh. With two batteries can see getting 40 to 50 miles.

That seems right for 15 mph. 15 watt hour per mile +/-. Very believable stats, don't know how anyone for or against Sondors can argue with that. Thanks for the update @vincent713

Most ebikes will fall in that 15-20 wh/mi.

This is not most ebikes, its a 61 lb fat tired ebike plus a 161 lb rider using 15 watt hr... 15 watts is only .02 hp ... It just seems like too much rolling resistance to overcome... I wish I was wrong but it just does not compute... What am I missing?

Last edited:
Youre conflating wh-hr/mile with power.

At 15 wh per mile you'd get about 23 miles per charge, which is what storm got from his testing in China. I get 12 wh per mile with my ebike in Eco PAS

Barent Hoffman is trying o offer an upgraded battery for the Sondors. 36v 12.8 ah for $295 delivered in USA. And chargers for $35. Seems like a great deal. 420 wh. With two batteries can see getting 40 to 50 miles.
I don't believe you will come close to 50 mi. with a 12.8 ah battery on a bike without gears. Pushing very hard with my 16 ah battery I get that 40-50mi.
This is not most ebikes, its a 61 lb fat tired ebike plus a 161 lb rider using 15 watt hr... 15 watts is only .02 hp ... It just seems like too much rolling resistance to overcome... I wish I was wrong but it just does not compute... What am I missing?
At 13-15 mph, you wouldn't have a problem hitting 20 miles. Up that speed to 18-20 mph maybe 15 miles, right in keeping with Court's test of the Sandpiper.

I don't believe you will come close to 50 mi. with a 12.8 ah battery on a bike without gears. Pushing very hard with my 16 ah battery I get that 40-50mi.

At 13-15 mph, you wouldn't have a problem hitting 20 miles. Up that speed to 18-20 mph maybe 15 miles, right in keeping with Court's test of the Sandpiper.
.? With TWO batteries, will easily get 40 to 50 miles. I get 35 with 36v11ah

Youre conflating wh-hr/mile with power.

At 15 wh per mile you'd get about 23 miles per charge, which is what storm got from his testing in China. I get 12 wh per mile with my ebike in Eco PAS

Watts=power Let's see a 15w motor push a Sondors + rider 14mph The guy must have pedaled ... I thought there was video... even then easy to fake...

15w motor

I think there must be some confusion going on. Watt hours ≠ total watts of a motor.

Total Watts available from battery / Watt hours = expected range

So using my ebike as an example:

417.6 total watts of power from battery (36v x 11.6ah) / 15 watts per hour = about 28 mi range. I know from experience I can get about 30 to 33mi from one charge, depending. I turn off PAS during downhill segments, so that's what probably accounts for the extra 2 or 3 miles of range.

I figured out from my typical ranges over many rides that I'm using about 15 watt hours per mi. That number would obviously be more accurate if I had a watt meter on my ebike, but I don't, so estimation is all I can do right now.

Last edited:
PowerMe - so given all of the data from my post regarding the Sondors no pedal range test, do you think it's accurate, achievable and true?

PowerMe - so given all of the data from my post regarding the Sondors no pedal range test, do you think it's accurate, achievable and true?

I don't know, and what I believe doesn't matter, it comes down to proving it. If he absolutely was not pedaling at all that's damn impressive!

I've never not pedaled at all on my ebike, but I'd be surprised if I could get 21 miles range on just throttle only. Maybe if my terrain was absolutely flat and I was going slow.

scmike - obviously you don't like the Sondors bike, which bike do you sponsor?

Vincent,
I almost pulled the trigger on 2 Storms, as they were called early, but after a few days, and research I decided someone/something wasn't right...

I eventually went with the RadRover, and only after their team personally responded to my ?'s I hope to pick up the RRs... I bought 2 in the next 2 weeks .... The RR comes with a watt meter built in and I'll have 2 to compare and test.... I also have enough electrical testing equipment to do some fun real time tests... I just have to make the time...

Craig documented his range results on Facebook. Around 22 miles range at low pressure 15 psi over semi rough road. Sounds right.

I followed along on the playback of his course as posted. He was riding 2 mi out, then 2 mi back, for an approimate 4 mi loop. He did that a little over 5 times to get to the 21.80 miles. Yeah, I believe it. He wasn't doing any big hills or anything. On any downhill, even a minor one, he wouldn't have needed very much, if any, throttle usage. Seems legit.

I followed along on the playback of his course as posted. He was riding 2 mi out, then 2 mi back, for an approimate 4 mi loop. He did that a little over 5 times to get to the 21.80 miles. Yeah, I believe it. He wasn't doing any big hills or anything. On any downhill, even a minor one, he wouldn't have needed very much, if any, throttle usage. Seems legit.

Where is this video? Is this Craig's video?

scmike - the RR is a nice bike, so you already have it or going to pick it up? I was under the impression that they had already shipped that bike. That thread seems very slow and dead.

Licjay - yes that was the guy I got all the information from on FB. He seems like a genuine guy and even offered to do another test if someone wants to be there to witness.

Here's the math:

15 w/h per mile
15 miles per hour

In an hour multiply the two and get 225 watts. So if you run 225 watts for an hour and go 15 miles it's 15 w/h per mile. But the constant watt burn is 225 watts. It's the 225/15 miles (15 miles per hour, in an hour)

If the battery is 360 w/h, you should get 360/225 * 15 miles, full to flat battery. Low 20's.

Back