Some ideas for choosing the right e bike?Cube Acid Hybrid one 500?

stefebike

Hi guys,i found a bike that i think is decent but i really have no experience on the e bike matter thats why i would like some opinions and suggestions.In my last post a member of this forum posted me some cube ebikes and i think i found one that is close to my budget and taste the Cube Acid Hybrid one 500 29' black n green (around 2000euros).I want an e bike to go around country side roads in Switzerland maybe up the hills and also some off road but nothing really extreme and not more than 20 km at a time.I just dont want the e bike to struggle when the incline is severe and the hill is not the easyest one.I am around 80kg and 1,80m hight.Do you think the 250w Bosch engine is good and enough for this kind of cycling?Do you have any other suggestions for e bikes around this price that can be shipped to Switzerland , and maybe with bigger engine power if you think that 250w are not enoug? (i have also motorbike licence so i think i wont have problem with EU regulations about engine power.)

Thanks in advance for all the answers!

Cube Acid Hybrid one 500 29' black n green

FrameAluminium Superlite, Advanced Hydroforming, Agile Ride Geometry, Double Butted
Colourblack´n´green
ForkSR Suntour XCM ATB Coil, 100mm
BrakesShimano BR-MT200, Hydr. Disc Brake (180/180)
HeadsetFSA Orbit 1.5B ZS-R, Top Zero-Stack 1 1/8" (OD 44mm), Bottom Zero-Stack 1 1/2"
StemCUBE Performance Stem Pro, 31.8mm
HandlebarCUBE Rise Trail Bar, 700mm
Bar gripsCUBE Performance Grip
SaddleNatural Fit Sequence
SeatpostCUBE Performance Post, 30.9mm
Seat clampCUBE Varioclose, 34.9mm
CranksetFSA CK-602, 38T, 175mm
Rear derailleurShimano Deore RD-M592-SGS, 9-Speed
Gear shiftersShimano SL-M2010-9R, Rapidfire-Plus
CassetteShimano CS-HG201, 11-36T
ChainKMC X9
TyresSchwalbe Smart Sam, K-Guard, 2.35
Front hubShimano HB-TX505, QR, Centerlock
Rear hubShimano FH-TX505, QR, Centerlock
RimsCUBE EX23, 32H, Disc, Tubeless Ready
DisplayBosch Purion
BatteryBosch PowerPack 500
ChargerBosch 2A
EngineBosch Drive Unit Performance Generation 3 (65Nm) Cruise (250Watt)
PedalsCUBE PP MTB
Total weightstarting from 22,1 kg

The Bosch Performance Cruise motor is a fine hill climber, I test rode a 2018 Gazelle Arroyo with the previous generation Performance Line motor riding up the highest hill in Washington, DC, and it went up like a champ. The 11-36 cassette and 38t chainring is certainly geared for hill climbing. The larger 180mm brake rotors will bring you to a stop. You'll be fine.

Last edited:
Watt rating is regulated to 250W in Europe so they are all magically rated 250W power. In reality almost all of the motors put out out ~500W peak. I would focus more on torque than watt rating for hills. More torque will be better. Here is more information on the Bosch Performance Generation 3 Cruise. It has 65Nm torque which should serve you well:

BTW, are you looking at the Cube from Wiggle? They are selling the version with 400wh battery which should be enough for 20km.

The Bosch Performance Cruise motor is a fine hill climber, I test rode a 2018 Gazelle Arroyo with the previous generation Performance Line motor riding up the highest hill in Washington, DC, and it went up like a champ. The 11-36 cassette and 38t chainring is certainly geared for hill climbing. The larger 180mm brake rotors will bring you to a stop. You'll be fine.
Thanks alot!

Another bike you might want to consider (unless you need a lower step) is the Canyon Pathlite ON. Seems like a lot of value for 2349 euros. Slightly more powerful (and generation 4) Bosch motor vs the Cube. Also, you may be able to add a spare battery attachment for extended range if you need it. Beautiful looking bike in my opinion:

Watt rating is regulated to 250W in Europe so they are all magically rated 250W power. In reality almost all of the motors put out out ~500W peak. I would focus more on torque than watt rating for hills. More torque will be better. Here is more information on the Bosch Performance Generation 3 Cruise. It has 65Nm torque which should serve you well:

BTW, are you looking at the Cube from Wiggle? They are selling the version with 400wh battery which should be enough for 20km.

I am either thinking from wiggle or bike-discount.they both have similar prices.Thanks alot for the info!

Switzerland has different rules. It's 500W for class 1 and 1000W for class 3. Speed by design is 20km/h for class 1 and 30km/h for class 3 as of 2019. For people who don't understand Swiss legalese, that's the throttle speed. The max. speed is 25km/h and 45km/h respectively. To be noted: you'll find very few ready-made bikes on the market that are specced specifically for Switzerland. That means you either get a 250W euro import or do it yourself for a class 1. But 250 is fine. I weight 95 kilos and can climb a 25% grade hill, even with a 250W drive.

Remember that in Switzerland almost all forest roads and many alpine single tracks are off-limits to class3, so you're probably better off with a class 1. But there are two points:

a) If you want to follow service roads and rural paths, most often class 3 is allowed. I do a lot of that myself.

b) Swiss law states that "forbidden for mopeds" allows you to ride with the drive off. So any path that's downhill and theoretically off limits to class 3 effectively allows you to coast with your 45km/h bike.

Make sure that the seller gives you the detax. If you import from Germany the seller needs to subtract 19% VAT and then Swiss customs will charge you local VAT at 7.7%.

I'm attaching a PDF that sums up Swiss law. It's in French, but you can get the German version too.
That was really helpful! I am not familiar with the swiss laws yet and i dint know all these details.I am thinking buying the bicycle from here ( https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-acid-hybrid-one-500-29-black-n-green-901710 )and i just found that they also explain what you just told me here ( https://www.bike-discount.de/en/info/service-for-our-swiss-customers-89 ) .There are some unclarities about the custom fees if the package is checked and who will pay that,but i will email them to be more specific.Do you know this site or trust it?Thanks again . I will find the german edition and read it.

Another bike you might want to consider (unless you need a lower step) is the Canyon Pathlite ON. Seems like a lot of value for 2349 euros. Slightly more powerful (and generation 4) Bosch motor vs the Cube. Also, you may be able to add a spare battery attachment for extended range if you need it. Beautiful looking bike in my opinion:

Its really nice ,and i would never find it alone .I am searching many Internet many hours the last 3 days and never saw it.Thanks again .I will do the comaprison and think about it.

I have ridden the bike and it was great. The very wide tires take time to get used to when turning.

The German models are limited to 250W continuous output power. I think there is some wiggle room for the manufacturers to engineer a higher peak power figure. In any case it had plenty of oomph. Not as fast as the Bosch Performance, but maybe 85% of it. 9 speed was perfectly fine. Given they can be had for less than €2k, no concerns.

If you step up to the Reaction line, it's new for 2020, Bosch Performance Gen4, 12speed SRAM transmission.

Back