Choosing bikes: (a) Moustache Samedi 28.1 vs. (b) Cube Touring Hybrid One Trapeze 400, 2020 model

stepadou

Region
Europe
Hello to all and thanks for having me here.

I want to buy an e-bike in Greece and I am about to choose between:
(a) Moustache Samedi 28.1 Open (https://moustachebikes.com/gr/en/electric-bikes/samedi-28/samedi-28-1-open/) and
(b) Cube Touring Hybrid One Trapeze 400 Easy Entry, 2020 model (https://archiv.cube.eu/en/2020/331050).

I live in a hilly area of my city and the main motivation behind this purchase is transport to city centre (let's say walking distance, if it wasn’t for going hill up on my return home) instead of using my motorcycle. However, it would be an additional advantage if I could go a bit off-road too. Of course, getting an e-bike might lead me to replacing my motorcycle entirely…

I read that the Moustache has a Bosch Active Line (Gen3) - 40Nm (250W) motor, while the Cube has a Bosch Drive Unit Active Plus (Gen 3) - 50Nm (250W) motor. So, in terms of motors, the Cube seems to be stronger, however I don't know if the two bikes can be compared purely based on motor power. Unfortunately, I have only had the chance to try out the Moustache for a test ride, as any other shop refuses test rides. I found it quite powerful when starting in the middle of a steep slope, but mostly on Turbo mode and on first gear.

I am totally new to e-bikes, so I would really appreciate your take on this. Any other recommendations (even for a small price difference) would also be appreciated (especially for more powerful motors). However, this being said, there is a heavy shortage of available e-bikes currently in Greece. So, better choose between these two (currently available) bikes.

Thanks a lot!

Best,
Stella

Stella,
The worst thing about these two e-bikes is both have dramatically small batteries (400 Wh), which is totally substandard nowadays. You would not ride very far on a 400 Wh battery, especially on the Greek hills...

For me, the Cube is designed better. If you could find and afford a 625 Wh Cube, that would be a far better choice. Especially as Moustache is a very small company compared to Cube!

Last edited:
Hi, Stefan.

Thanks for your take on this. I am a newbie in bikes/e-bikes and Moustache was presented to me by their Greek importer as an upper-class e-bike brand. I have no prior experience, but I did like the feeling of the bike during test ride. It is a pity I cannot try a Cube e-bike so as to compare. Question: Is it possible to change batteries on a Cube bike? The Trapeze has an integrated battery with a weird shape. I will check bikes with a larger battery, but I recon that a bike with a 625Wh battery would be out of my budget. Finally, what type of Cube do you think I should aim for? I wouldn't like to get a mountain bike, but then again I don't want a purely street bike that is incapable of going onto gravel and mud roads either.

Thanks again!

Best,
Stella

Hi, Stefan.

Thanks for your take on this. I am a newbie in bikes/e-bikes and Moustache was presented to me by their Greek importer as an upper-class e-bike brand. I have no prior experience, but I did like the feeling of the bike during test ride. It is a pity I cannot try a Cube e-bike so as to compare. Question: Is it possible to change batteries on a Cube bike? The Trapeze has an integrated battery with a weird shape. I will check bikes with a larger battery, but I recon that a bike with a 625Wh battery would be out of my budget. Finally, what type of Cube do you think I should aim for? I wouldn't like to get a mountain bike, but then again I don't want a purely street bike that is incapable of going onto gravel and mud roads either.

Thanks again!

Best,
Stella
Hi Stella,

Moustache (France) is believed to be a premium brand but the specific model you have shown has indeed an obsolete design (the battery is at best semi-integrated there). Cube has exactly the same battery but nicely integrated into the frame. I doubt you could fit a larger battery in either of these e-bikes.

I need to make you aware good (brand) e-bike batteries are insanely expensive, so it makes more sense to buy the bike designed for a larger battery. Besides, it looks the importer tries to sell older e-bikes (two years in the e-bike world is a lot!)

For your information: A Cube e-bike with a 625 Wh battery is around 1000 EUR more expensive. Latest models with large 750 Wh battery and the new Bosch Smart System cost 2000 EUR more than what you can spend now. I would say 625 Wh battery and the older Bosch system could be pretty good for you.

I know Greek members of this Forum were choosing Cube e-bikes and often imported them from German stores. Let me give you an example of a reasonable Cube e-bike:

My advice is: Do not act in hurry. Please see the complete offer of Cube in their EU website. Compare capabilities and prices. Visit German online stores that export to Greece and check the availability. Otherwise your 2000 Euro will be wasted on a "buyer's remorse".

Good luck!

Back