Bike for my wife?

Just an update for anyone who’s interested. Wife is very happy with new bike, it seems to be better suited for her type of riding.
I took her old bike out as mine’s being serviced and I have to say that the original problem appears to be entirely due to the low cadence that she’s achieving on the bike. I rode it up the same hills but my cadence was 80 to 90 and I had absolutely no problem and plenty of power!
She’s simply not able to achieve these higher cadence values but the gen 4 CX motor seems to deliver the power at lower cadences too.

Last edited:
Just an update for anyone who’s interested. Wife is very happy with new bike, it seems to be better suited for her type of riding.
I took her old bike out as mine’s being serviced and I have to say that the original problem appears to be entirely due to the low cadence that she’s achieving on the bike. I rode it up the same hills but my cadence was 80 to 90 and I had absolutely no problem and plenty of power!
She’s simply not able to achieve these higher cadence values but the gen 4 CX motor seems to deliver the power at lower cadences too.
Now that she has the CX power there is not going back. I have watched some people (newbies?) on Ebikes that have plenty of power and noticed they do not use the derailleur much if at all. I can never tell if they are uninformed or just lazy. If your wife was riding like that it is no wonder she had trouble climbing on a bike with less power.

Now that she has the CX power there is not going back. I have watched some people (newbies?) on Ebikes that have plenty of power and noticed they do not use the derailleur much if at all. I can never tell if they are uninformed or just lazy. If your wife was riding like that it is no wonder she had trouble climbing.
Steve. Not sure about the UK (where Mr and Mrs Homet live) but we drive manual transmission cars in Europe 😊

Nah Steve, I watched her. She just can’t pedal that fast in any gear!
Clipless pedals help a lot on that part. But I can understand that it's not everybody's cup of tea.
I use clipless on all bikes since 18 and cant even pedal on normal pedals anymore.
Either crunching standing with 40rpm or fast pedaling up to 110rpm is not an issue.

You can train her to pedal a bit faster by asking her to go one gear lower from your natural selection.
With one or two cogs she will go up 5-15 rpm (depends on the cassette).

The efficiency of faster pedaling is a great bonus and many people are not aware of that.
On normal and e-bikes too (better leg stamina, increased motor efficiency, decreased battery consumption).

We’re not talking about anything rational here! She told me today that it ‘feels dangerous’ when she pedals fast, and that the new bike lets her pedal at her pace and still provides her the power she needs to climb those hills. I’m pretty happy with that, anything for a peaceful life!
I’ve put her old bike up for sale in the for sale section and it’s a great bike for any ‘normal’ rider. Let’s hope she doesn’t see this comment or I’m toast.

We’re not talking about anything rational here! She told me today that it ‘feels dangerous’ when she pedals fast, and that the new bike lets her pedal at her pace and still provides her the power she needs to climb those hills. I’m pretty happy with that, anything for a peaceful life!
I’ve put her old bike up for sale in the for sale section and it’s a great bike for any ‘normal’ rider. Let’s hope she doesn’t see this comment or I’m toast.
Congrats! Happy wife, happy life! Rational or not!🤓

There isn't much in it between new 65nm performance line and my old gen2 CX 75nm when it comes to hill climbing.

Back