Softening the ride without breaking the bank

As long as there is some pressure from the preload spring on the cap I wouldn't imagine it would loosen itself. A quarter turn after it has made contact with the spring I can't turn it by hand.

Exactly, under the pressure it stays put (otherwise it would not be able to adjust the tension anyways).

Btw I am liking it more and more each day. Although it feels firm since I have used it I have never experienced any spikes, pain etc. even when going over potholes and it does not effect my pedaling efficiency. It is not bouncy but it takes care of the bumps etc very well(Once I tried body float and it was vibrating a lot , I felt like I was sitting on a massage table).

I had a cheap suspension seatpost on my regular bike, the pogostick type.. I haven't tried bodyfloat, suntour or thudbuster but I'm very impressed with the animaris.. Soaks up small AND large bumps.. Does it really add 4.5" to the seat height??.. I know my wife would love a suspension seatpost but she is short and even the pogo stick seatposts raise her seat too much so I can see that being a problem for a production bike.

I picked up an Animaris, a few handlebars and stems from Satori at Interbike to test and potentially add to my e-bikes (pre-arranged samples). I've been injured and haven't been able to ride on rough surfaces (torn rotator cuff) and I'm very interested in your experience. I currently have Promax suspension seat posts (40mm travel) on my bikes, but looking for better quality - the Promax can feel like a pogo stick if you don't adjust the rebound correctly, but aren't bad if you take the time to adjust them to your weight. One of my concerns with the Animaris is the 4.5" it adds to the seatpost height and how that makes the bike unsuitable for shorter riders (measured from seat rail) - especially a concern for petite women. I really wanted to add it to all models, but now thinking it would have to be an optional upgrade.

Now that you have it tuned and broken in, what is your overall opinion? Any regrets that you didn't get a more expensive version (Thudbuster, SR Suntour, Bodyfloat)? Would you hesitate to trade it for one of those? All of the Satori parts seem to be very good quality and made in Thailand. According to my contact at Satori, the prices will continue to go up as they gain traction and sales.

Overall, my goal is to reduce the percentage of Chinese made components so I can manufacture elsewhere and avoid the "made in China" label associated with e-bikes with over 50% Chinese parts (Chinese parts = companies who produce their parts in China, not no-name parts). Tariffs gutted me and my bikes now cost between $1100 and $1300 to land. Yes, they're over-built and I'm being punished for it by paying an extra 25%...

Anyone with experience (or an opinion) can message me or post any details you'd like to share! Thanks!
I’ve got about 1500 miles on it and am very satisfied with it. I looked at it closely just before writing this to see whether there was any visible wear. It looks like new. The elastomer did seem to soften after a few weeks of riding, but I think it was breaking in rather than breaking down. It hasn’t changed noticeably since then. I honestly don’t even think about it much unless I hit a really big hole and make it bottom out. I’ve ridden friends’ bikes without suspension a few times since I got mine and I definitely notice a difference. I wasn’t expecting it to feel like a Rolls Royce, but I do know that with it I don’t think about the ride being harsh at all. The Baramind BAM handlebar is similar in its effect. Those two things made real, significant improvements in the handling and ride of my ST2.

I've yet to bottom mine out and I have the spring set very soft.. I weigh 185 lbs.. It does make a funny sound when it compresses but I've gotten used to it and it lets me know it's working. My wife has a gazelle easy flow.. She's 5'4" and needed a small frame and a step through. The bike came with a pogo stick suspension post but because it raises the seat height about 2" we had to remove it and put in a solid post so she can get both feet on the ground when stopped.. I'd love to get her the Animaris but it raises seat height at least 3"... She does complain about sharp bumps being punishing. The suspension head tube on her bike works but has very short travel. Does anyone know of a suspension seatpost that does NOT raise seat height?

I've yet to bottom mine out and I have the spring set very soft.. I weigh 185 lbs.. It does make a funny sound when it compresses but I've gotten used to it and it lets me know it's working. My wife has a gazelle easy flow.. She's 5'4" and needed a small frame and a step through. The bike came with a pogo stick suspension post but because it raises the seat height about 2" we had to remove it and put in a solid post so she can get both feet on the ground when stopped.. I'd love to get her the Animaris but it raises seat height at least 3"... She does complain about sharp bumps being punishing. The suspension head tube on her bike works but has very short travel. Does anyone know of a suspension seatpost that does NOT raise seat height?

Depending on the bike, you can sometimes have an inch or more of the top of the seat tube cut down to accommodate smaller riders. May void warranties...

Before you do that, you have me curious... what is the seat tube length of your wife's bike? My step-thru commuter and cruiser are 17" and they've been test ridden and sold to 5'2" customers - and they have the Promax "pogostick" seat post (+3" cap to cap). One woman rides with the seat all the way down, the other almost all the way down. I helped adjust the fit while they were here and one has a longer torso, the other longer legs. The bikes fit them perfectly, but I don't think anyone on any bike can stand on the ground flat footed while staying on the seat (other than BMX). I honestly don't know if it's even possible to ride a bike like that and still have the fit set properly - unless it's a semi-recumbent that moves your feet forward allowing you to sit closer to the ground. On a standard bike your leg needs to be almost fully extended on the down stroke with slight knee bend. On a bike that allows you to stand while seated, that's the same distance and means the pedal would scrape the ground.

Please tell me if I'm missing something. I'm not sure I understand.

lol.. you aren't missing anything. My wife's bike seat is so low she hardly gets any leg extension at all.. She's afraid of the bike tipping over on her when she stops so she rides her bike like an adult on a tricycle which allows her to put both feet on the ground w/o coming off the seat. Without the motor she wouldn't get very far!

lol.. you aren't missing anything. My wife's bike seat is so low she hardly gets any leg extension at all.. She's afraid of the bike tipping over on her when she stops so she rides her bike like an adult on a tricycle which allows her to put both feet on the ground w/o coming off the seat. Without the motor she wouldn't get very far!

LOL. I understand. Sounds like she'd be happiest on a semi-recumbent - mostly beach cruisers that I've seen/ridden. I've ridden a few and it's exactly the ride experience she wants. The seat tube is at more of an angle, so you're behind the pedals farther and they "bottom out" at 7:30-8ish instead of 6 o'clock. Biggest benefits for her are that the seat and center of gravity are lower to the ground, which reduces the "top heavy" feeling that evokes falling fears, and she can easily put both feet flat on the ground without getting off the seat. Maybe she'd pedal and enjoy the ride more, too! Semi-recumbents generally feature a cushy seat and sweeping handlebars, so they're considered a "comfort cruiser." I checked and there is not category for that in the EBR search, but asking any question in this forum gets help from a lot of great people. A happy wife is a happy life. LOL

Well, they do offer optional front shock absorbers. Does that count as effort? The shocks should come as standard equipment for what the ST2 costs, but it is what it is. I put the Stromer shocks on one of my ST2’s and Fox shocks on the other. I can’t tell a difference, they both work, plush and smooth ride even off road.

Which Fox shock did you put on your ST2? Did you keep the front fender, and if so, how did you attach it to the fork?

I believe it is the Fox 32. It was more expensive than the Stromer shock, and isn't worth the upcharge. The Fox 32 is an off road shock and is overkill on the Stromer ST2. I bought it for my wife's bike because it is white, it matches her bike, it is lighter, and I wanted to compare it with the black Stromer shock I put on my ST2. Turns out there is no practical difference for our use case.

The stock Stromer fender wouldn't work with the Fox 32. There are plenty of aftermarket fenders I could install, but riding in Southern California we haven't missed it at all.
Thanks for the detailed information, much appreciated!

I had enough time to ride with and without animaris on the same paths. This is "almost" an excellent suspension.

Positives:

- Makes a huge difference in absorbing bumps both on and off the pavement. I simply can not stand riding without it anymore. Country roads were unbearable , it also made a big difference on pavement.
- It is firm. I know it sounds counterintuitive but this is exactly what you want. It must absorb the bumps while not being bouncy.
- Build quality is "almost" excellent. The moving parts are of great quality, fit and finish is great.

Negative(s):

- So far there is one negative which is almost a deal breaker for me and that is the saddle clamp can not be adjusted properly. The threads are too coarse, the angle I like falls right in between two neighboring angles.
When you tighten the screw it first seems to be tight but once you sit on the saddle it falls back into its stable place which is tilted too far back.
- A little heavier than the competition (200 grams ?). But this is insignificant for ebikes.
- It requires 4-4.5" clearance which can make it a little hard to fit on high step frames.

For those of you who are using Animaris do you have a solution for fixing the saddle clamp?

Last edited:
One other option (more like a positive side effect vs primary option) that I came across is Tannus Armour tire liners. I was in search for solid core tires after having a double flat even with tire liners one rainy day. Tried solid inner cores but they felt super sloppy since there’s some gap between the actual tire and inner core so kept searching and came across the Tannus Armour which is in reality a super thick tireliner (15mm) that wraps completely around the tube that also provides side protection and can actually ride short distances even if the tube is completely flat. Why I posted here is that the 15mm microfoam really helps smooth things out by absorbing the various bumps. I’ve been riding them since February and it’s been good thus far. I already had the redshift stem but would go as far as to say the Armour has provided a smoother ride along with significantly better puncture protection including pinch flat protection. They’re pricey (~40 per tire) but not having to try to change the rear tire in the rain on the Stromer is worth it along with the added benefit of a smoother ride. I like them so much that I want to put them on my road bike too but they don’t come in the size that I need to fit.

I bought a rear trunk bag on ebay made by a company called "Cool Change". I have no idea why they put so little effort (or so much effort?) into naming things stupid names.

Also- an update on the Baramind BAM Trek handlebars: They are worth every penny. I've been riding with them for almost a week now and can report with confidence that they do what they claim to do. I don't feel them flex, but I do notice that roads and paths simply seem much smoother. The numbness in my hands is gone completely. The tension in my upper back, shoulders, and neck after a long ride is gone. They make for a far more relaxing ride and I feel like I can ride harder, faster and farther without feeling as though I've worked harder. Hell, if it were only placebo I'd still be happy that I feel better, but I really didn't expect such a difference. Here is a video of them in action. Note: the slo-mo video makes them look almost flimsy, which is not at all how they feel.

I am not affiliated with the company in any way and have nothing to gain by posting this. I just know that I appreciate it when someone alerts me to something new that really works. These things really work.

Did you have any trouble installing the Baramind bars, i.e. does the additional rise and sweep stretch the cables? I ordered the BAM Trek version for my new (to me) ST2s. The first couple days of riding have been a bit jarring. Fingers crossed that installation will be pain-free!

Did you have any trouble installing the Baramind bars, i.e. does the additional rise and sweep stretch the cables? I ordered the BAM Trek version for my new (to me) ST2s. The first couple days of riding have been a bit jarring. Fingers crossed that installation will be pain-free!
I am assuming I’m to late in responding to be of any help to you, but for anyone else who decides to swap handlebars the easiest thing to do is to take some phone pictures of how the shifters, brakes, and switches all fit together on the bar as shipped from Stromer. Look underneath too to see what part of a clamp nests in another part of a different clamp. Loosen everything. Pull the bar as far as possible to one side and realize the components on the other side. The cables are stiff and short and it can be frustrating. But if you document it with pictures, go slow, and don’t force things it’s not too difficult. It gave me real appreciation for the thought that goes in to integrating all that stuff and cutting cables to the exact length necessary. The engineering that goes in to these bikes is really impressive.

I am assuming I’m to late in responding to be of any help to you, but for anyone else who decides to swap handlebars the easiest thing to do is to take some phone pictures of how the shifters, brakes, and switches all fit together on the bar as shipped from Stromer. Look underneath too to see what part of a clamp nests in another part of a different clamp. Loosen everything. Pull the bar as far as possible to one side and realize the components on the other side. The cables are stiff and short and it can be frustrating. But if you document it with pictures, go slow, and don’t force things it’s not too difficult. It gave me real appreciation for the thought that goes in to integrating all that stuff and cutting cables to the exact length necessary. The engineering that goes in to these bikes is really impressive.

Got the Baramind bars a few weeks back. They're great! No issues installing them at all. Readjusting everything after installing the bars actually gave me a more comfortable cockpit. The only problem so far is that they almost work too well at dampening vibration... The first few times I rode my bike with the new bars, I'd have a moment of panic thinking my front tire was deflating!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a front suspension system for a Stromer st1x ?

Back