So many choices! EBC, Dost, Sondors, Rize...

cpstew

Region
USA
I've been doing a lot of research to find my first ebike and would love to get some feedback on my current top choices.

I'm looking for an upright class 2 cruiser (or similar) bike in the $3000 range that will get me around the suburbs and handle some relatively easy trail rides. The most important things for me are 1) a well built bike that wont require a lot of maintenance, 2) the power and responsiveness of the motor, and 3) a bike that will handle the hills in my area with ease. I don't need crazy range, most rides will be <30 miles.

Based on my research, I'm biased toward a torque sensor mid-drive motor, but I don't want to rule out a great cadence sensing hub drive. I would appreciate any feedback on my list below. Any that you would stay away from? Any clear winner? Am I right to emphasize mid drive torque sensor?

The bikes rising to the top of my list are:

1. Rize RX Pro or RX- $3100/$3000, mid drive, torque sensor, 15ah, 1000w
  2. Sondors LX - $2900, mid drive, torque sensor, 21ah, 750w
  3. Dost Kope - $3200, mid drive, cadence sensor, 14ah, 750w
  4. EBC Model R - $3050, hub drive, cadence sensor, 21ah, 1250w
Thanks in advance!

Regarding the Rize RX Pro and Rize RX, their 1000w rating for that motor is a pretty conservative rating. Most will put it at closer to 1500w, and there are aftermarket kits that can double that....
It uses the Bafang Ultra motor, and there is no more power available on the market when it comes to production bikes.

The EBC Model R is a step through with a 500w motor. This bike compared to either of the Rize bikes is not a very fair comparison at all. Because they tell you that the controller they're using on this bike is able to supply 1250w to the 500w rated motor might be seen as a warning by many. That motor is only going to be able to handle that kind of power for a few seconds without overheating. Bad plan in my book....

The Dost is very similar to the Rize bikes (same frame?) with a much more conservative motor installed. It uses the Bafang BBS02 which has a great reputation, but it's much less power on tap than the Rize w/Ultra

Sonders is a step through, and I'm not up on what motor they're using. I know it's a Bafang, which is great from my perspective, but they're saying it's torque sensing and rated for 750 watts, so not sure what they're using.

Are you thinking step through, or conventional swing your leg over?

Are you planning on doing your own work, or having it done for you?

1629680173074.png

Regarding the Rize RX Pro and Rize RX, their 1000w rating for that motor is a pretty conservative rating. Most will put it at closer to 1500w, and there are aftermarket kits that can double that....
It uses the Bafang Ultra motor, and there is no more power available on the market when it comes to production bikes.

The EBC Model R is a step through with a 500w motor. This bike compared to either of the Rize bikes is not a very fair comparison at all. Because they tell you that the controller they're using on this bike is able to supply 1250w to the 500w rated motor might be seen as a warning by many. That motor is only going to be able to handle that kind of power for a few seconds without overheating. Bad plan in my book....

The Dost is very similar to the Rize bikes (same frame?) with a much more conservative motor installed. It uses the Bafang BBS02 which has a great reputation, but it's much less power on tap than the Rize w/Ultra

Sonders is a step through, and I'm not up on what motor they're using. I know it's a Bafang, which is great from my perspective, but they're saying it's torque sensing and rated for 750 watts, so not sure what they're using.

Great info - thanks!
Im thinking either step through or high step, I don't have a strong preference. By doing my own work, do you mean assembly and maintenance? I will likely be having it done for me. Definitely looking for a bike that doesn't require a ton of maintenance.
Any other suggestions are welcome!
Edit: I realize all of these bikes require maintenance. I will learn the routine stuff. Luckily, I live in an area (San Diego) with a lot of bikes shops close buy to help with the more challenging repairs.

Last edited:
Depends on what type of riding you do or intend to do. The EBC is very different from the Sondors or Rize but its still a great bike. The fact that you have such a wide range of bike styles on your list tells me you should do more research, dont rush.
My quick summery would be if you live in an area with no huge hills and you like an upright riding position go with the EBC, if you live near hills or want more power and speed get the Rize. Dost is never an option for me.

Sonders is also using the Bafang Ultra but the Sonders Ultras have been limited to 750watts to cut down on drivetrain wear, i think i read they peak at just under 1000w

Great info - thanks!
Im thinking either step through or high step, I don't have a strong preference. By doing my own work, do you mean assembly and maintenance? I will likely be having it done for me. Definitely looking for a bike that doesn't require a ton of maintenance.
Any other suggestions are welcome!
Edit: I realize all of these bikes require maintenance. I will learn the routine stuff. Luckily, I live in an area (San Diego) with a lot of bikes shops close buy to help with the more challenging repairs.
You are lucky to live in an area with a lot of bike shops. Still, I would eliminate assumptions by confirming one of them is willing to service whatever bike you are looking at. Asking them to do that under warranty would be the second idea that I would confirm. You may be asked to pay cash, then send the receipt in for reimbursement.

If you are planning on doing the routine maintenance anyway, assemblying your bike could be viewed as an introduction/get to know it session. 99.9% of the time, the bike will come out of the box in great condition. At that point, as the final inspector/test driver, it will be your responsibility to make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight, and that the bike is set up properly for you. All of that is easily done by most people, and the confidence gained (as regarding service later on) is incredible. Worst case, you'll have to check out a you tube or 2 to bring you up to speed on something you don't understand or want to know more about. There's also the potential for asking questions here. There are MANY of us here more than willing to help - and you've gone this far without even contacting the factory support.....

Back