Smooth Tune vs. Archon X1

I have a motor with Innotrace X1 controller and I would not call it smooth, especially after Yamaha PW-X. The Innotrace X1 motor I have is quite jerky and laggy. The throttle is extremely sensitive and jerky. I have a feeling Innotrace just sent me a regular Bafang m620 motor with Innotrace logo on it. The reason I feel it this way is not only because of it feels jerky but also because of Innotrace did not attach the 60A plug I ordered with the motor and then they responded that they forgot to solder the plug after I informed them about my finding. Now I feel like they "forgot" not only to attach the 60A plug but also the X1 controller itself and just sent me a Bafang m620 motor with stock controller. I would like to have a programming cable from them to see the tune and maybe to adjust it but Innotrace does not respond anymore. Their business feels quite shady. I could open the motor case to check if there is an Innotrace X1 controller inside but there is a warranty sticker on the motor case and I do not want to loose my warranty.

This is my first e-bike with Bafang M620 motor with Innotrace X1 controller and I never had experience with Bafang m620 motor with stock controller so I have nothing to compare it with but I can tell for sure it is not even close to Yamaha PW-X in terms of smoothness and lags. I also do not like that the motor does not provide support before it starts sensing speed so it is very hard to start moving from stand still, especially uphill (Yamaha PW-X provides support instantly once it feels pressure on the crank arms torque sensor regardless of sensing zero speed and this is great). Would be nice if Innotrace X1 works the same way, maybe provides at least gentle support at the beginning if it senses zero speed).

View attachment 149154
Nice looking bike……I can bet your bottom dollar the Yamaha motor would not have the power of the X1 ultra motor, Ive tried a few, including both the stock ultra and the X1 ultra, it’s day and night the difference, the X1 I find is very smooth and powerful, I don’t use the throttle, I wish you well.

Nice looking bike……I can bet your bottom dollar the Yamaha motor would not have the power of the X1 ultra motor, Ive tried a few, including both the stock ultra and the X1 ultra, it’s day and night the difference, the X1 I find is very smooth and powerful, I don’t use the throttle, I wish you well.
The original thread wasn't solely about power, but in behavior and tunability.
OEM programming for Ultras for both UART and CAN variants are pretty awful, as they also were (possibly still are on the M600).
I didn't go with the VESC-based LudiV2 controller on my X2 for 'more power' but to ensure I had a proper amount of configuration and adjustability on what is otherwise a locked-down motor.

It's certainly possible even most of the Archon/Innotrace crowd are looking for the raw power, which is certainly higher than any OE M620), but some just want the bike to feel natural (or on the opposite spectrum as well) and 'the way they want it.'

Some of the callouts on Innotrace's responses while lacking are also true - FOC controllers inherently do have efficiency gains over the BLDC-type OE controllers.
Now, how much smoother and/or natural feeling can an Innotrace Ultra be adjusted to compared to a UART decently configured (whether Smooth-tune or other), seems to still be in question... and the comments over the Yamaha feeling smoother could simply be down to the obviously lower max power outputs, or could have to do with internal non-adjustable programming. One of the things somewhat annoying me on Innotrace/Archon is it seems the programmability is fairly limited, and it seems like the base behavior and options available haven't been updated in pretty much forever. This is one area where open-source eventually holds a lot of promise... eventually as in AFAIK there is no open source Ultra controller, nor Ultra replacement controllers whose firmware is open source, at least <right now> AFAIK.

1-2 options (Bafang or Archon, otherwise pretty custom, e.g. Grin) is pretty much a monopoly within the market. I continue to hope Luna will launch their LudiV2/VESC controller for the Ultra motors to add another competitor into the ring, at which point the resultant 'feature wars' induced by real competition usually leads to benefit the consumers. Of course at the moment, it seems Innotrace's continued existence seems to be in question, but I'm still hoping for an eventual future where not only are third-party quality controllers (and corresponding applications) more of the norm, but they continue to drive competition to at least parity with, and then eventually surpass some of the 'big boys' like Bosch, Specialized, etc. Things like eMTB mode on Bosch, setting a distance/destination and having the controller monitor and adjust power output to ensure you make it home/there, better health/riding app integrations, and of course, configurability to suit the user, etc.

Back