Slime, Thorn Resistant Tires and Airless Bicycle Tubes?

I'd LOVE to find a linear tube in the 700 x 35-43 size. Google didn't help me find any. Anyone here know where to find them, assuming they exist?

Yeah me too. I ride mostly on long rural roads (in between where I live and work is mostly farms) so I'll be on my own when inevitably I get a flat. Something like the fly cobra would be great I think. Even as an interim fix.

This is such a cool concept! I liked the vide (though it started rather slow, skip to 1:20 for the good stuff) and I've embedded it below.

fly-cobra-linear-bicycle-tube.jpg

easy-change-bicycle-tube.jpg

fly-bikes-cobra-linear-tube.jpg

The first picture from Chain Reaction Cycles doesn't really do it justice so I added a couple more. The idea is just that you can replace the tube in your bicycle tire without removing the wheel. I guess you'd have to cut the original tube in half when removing it (so carry a knife or scissors?) but the replacement by Fly Cobra is just a long straight inner tube and I love how it sort of connects to itself using the valve and a little hole in the end of the tube :D

Here's the official site of for Flybikes, the guys who make the Fly Cobra. They've got some nice pictures and a decent description of this linear tire tube stating: "fix a bike in seconds without removing the wheel". Not bad... but yeah, they should make a 700cc version! [edit] I just wrote to them suggesting the larger size:

Hi guys,

Your Fly Cobra bicycle tube came up in my forums the other day and people were really jazzed. We all ride electric bikes with wheels that are tricky to remove (due to hub motors) so this product could be perfect.

The thing is, most of our bikes use 700cc wheels which are larger, like 29" instead of 26" and we were not able to find this size with the Fly Cobra? Does it exist or would you consider making it?

Feel free to reply at the forum, this warranty email address was the only way I could figure out to contact you. http://electricbikereview.com/commu...resistant-tires-and-airless-bicycle-tubes.49/

Cheers,
Court

[edit] I just heard back from Fly Cobra and they said "We currently make the 26" version but we will study up and consider making a 29" as well. Thanks!"

Last edited:
Court, I might as well as this on this thread. The Dash wears 700x45c tires. First question is this the size or is there another way to express this size. I don't see it on the Slime website. If I put smart slime tubes in it, which size do you buy. Some seem close, but I must be missing something.

Is Sliming your new tubes a good idea. I would have the dealer do it I guess, but is it a good thing to do. These Fly Cobra tubes are amazing, but not having to carry tubes with you is better...right. What says you?

Hi Ralph! Tire sizes can be confusing and admittedly, I'm not an expert... So I did some research and it seems like the 700C stands for the diameter of the tire in centimeters (it's equivalent to a 29" mountain bike tire) and the 45 stands for the diameter. So the Neo Dash runs with large diameter wheels for improved rolling efficiency (like a road bike) but uses tires that are a bit thicker for added comfort and varied riding conditions that may include dirt trails. The super thin tires would just sink in and offer less traction in these types of conditions so the Dash is kind of like a hybrid in terms of tire choice.

As far as Slime goes, you could always add some yourself though it can get kind of messy, especially with the narrower Presta valve (which is what I believe the Dash uses). These are the smaller valves that stick out further, generally used on road bikes as the are a bit more precision oriented, easier to mate with a pump and can be secured in place through the rim with a threaded nut. I've attached an enhanced screenshot below to try and demonstrate why I think it uses a Presta valve vs. Schrader... specifically the cap on the valve looks taller like Presta. The IZIP official documentation doesn't say one way or the other.

izip-e3-dash-presta-valve.jpg

So I was going to recommend buying pre-Slimed tubes to take the hassle out for you but I couldn't actually find any in the correct size with Presta valves. I kept looking for generic tires that would work and came up with a couple of different options - both very affordable. Note that the Dash may accept Schrader valves (the shorter wider valve that you see on BMX and mountain bikes) but it depends on how large the valve hole is in the rim... Maybe you could tell me after looking at the bike?
I read that this smaller bottle of Slime will work with a Presta tube as long as it has a removable core (you unscrew the valve before putting the Slime in). I've done this before and in my experience, nearly all Presta tubes do indeed have removable cores. There's a video and some good customer reviews. Hope this helps! I've heard mixed experiences but flats are a bummer on ebikes and I've also heard that tire liners aren't all that great and can actually cause more issues. Many people just upgrade to Kevlar lined tires that keep thorns and glass from coming into contact with the tube. Also don't overfill the tube on cold mornings because it will expand with the heat of the day, make sure however that you keep the tire at pressure and check regularly to avoid pinch flats...

Thanks Court. Very helpful. Seems odd that there are so few replacement tires and tubes 700 x 45c. I think it has a Presta valve so I will have to get an adaptor for my compressor. I got a really nice Blue Hawk model compressor for our bikes at Lowes last year for $49. I keep it plugged in in the garage and its surprising how often it gets used. Fills up car tires and everything else.

I guess I stay with the tires and tubes that come on the bike and see if the dealer will slime them for me. Seems like the smart thing to do. Those Fly Cobra tube are awesome but not for this bike. Looks like I need to get a couple of extra tubes to have on hand since these tires are an odd size. Funny thing though, I thought 700c was a common size until now.

Hi Ralph, sounds good. Glad the air compressor is so useful! It's great to keep your tires at the appropriate pressure to avoid pinch flats and increase efficiency on your car. That's one of the easiest ways to improve your MPG actually :)

Regarding your last comment. 700C tires are common but the 45 diameter is not so much. Most 700C tires are thinner, for road bikes and stuff. The Dash seems to use wider tires and thus require wider tubes plus there's the twist of Presta vs. Schrader, most of the 700x45C tubes I found used the larger Schrader valve.

Hope that clears things up! I bet you could actually do just fine with a smaller 700x20C tube, it would just be stretched a bit and I've read bicycle tubes can go 2 to 3 times their normal size before they burst. Still, might not be worth the risk with a heavy and fast ebike ;)

Hi Ralph, yeah those might work? I updated the image and linked for you. Also saw these Slime Light tubes in the same size and price but the reviews weren't quite as good. I haven't tried them and can't say but for ~$8 it might be worth trying, especially on the front wheel first since it's easier to replace.

slime-lite-700x-28-35-presta.jpg

Thanks Court. Yep it is small money to try it. My local dealer said if the Presta valve stem will come out of the stem. I guess it must? He will put in some slime. Or maybe I get one of the tubes for the front tire since it is easy to change. Still have two or three weeks to I see the bike.

Cool, hope that works out! Let me know your thoughts if you do go this direction and end up experimenting with Slime or pre-Slimed tubes. Did you see Larry's comment about the E3 Dash and the new Peak? They both have quick release wheels with easy disconnect motors so he shared some thoughts on how to deal with flats with regular tubes vs. Slime. I'll quote his comment below:

Hi Ralph - No slime tubes on the Dash. Generally, we only use Slime when we have bolt-on, nutted hub motors that are difficult to remove for flat repair. Slime works well for small punctures but makes a real mess with something larger. We have had lots of complaints about the use of sealers. The good news is that the Dash (and also the new Path+ which uses the same motor) has a standard quick release rear wheel and an easy connect power connector which makes removing the rear wheel almost as easy as on a normal bike, so its pretty simple to replace the tube if you do get a puncture.

The tires are also very tough if they are kept properly inflated. This is something that many riders neglect to check on a regular basis. I'd suggest getting a good floor pump with a gauge and top off your tires once a week before you ride. Follow this and carry a spare tube, tire levers and a CO2 inflation cartridge when you ride and you will be amazed at how infrequent flats become.

Hope that is helpful!
Larry

Thanks, Court. Looks like air pressure not sealant and good design will prevail. Time to get a tube replacement kit.
Seems like you should be able to call AAA, get a charge and a flat fixed:)

Velosurance says it offers roadside assistance with its insurance. I'm not sure how that works, but is appealing to me. I plan to ask them about it; I'll follow up here (though maybe in a different thread).

That is exactly what I thought Fitz.
For $10, I can get a ride back home (within ~35 miles radius) and I think they are coordinating with someone like AAA.
But Roadside assistance does seem very helpful.

Hey Ralph, I just posted a video interview with the CEO and co-founder of Velosurance along with a writeup on the bicycle insurance industry in America. I didn't mention this in the article but one of the earliest roadside assistance companies for ebikes is called Better World Club.

Better World Club is the most reliable and greenest alternative to AAA and other roadside assistance providers. More than 10 years ago, BWC pioneered the first and only nationwide roadside assistance program for bicycles. And since our founding in 2002, Better World Club has remained our nation’s only provider of eco-friendly roadside assistance: we offset the environmental impact of our fleet and have opposed the highway-centric lobbying of groups such as AAA, advocating instead for smarter city planning and more transportation funds for bicycle lanes, pedestrian pathways, and public transit systems – all of which will better serve and sustain our US transportation system.

BWC used to offer full bicycle insurance but had a couple of large lawsuits happen with some of their customers that basically forced them to back out. Two other companies still offer that support and are doing well today: Velosurance and Spoke Bicycle Insurance.

I have had the slime in my regular mountain bike since I got it. 4 years ago. I actually rarely have a flat because of it. Thank goodness. But I only ride on the streets, not in dirt paths, trails etc. I'm still on the original inner tubes since 4 years. Although I rarely have flats that get me stranded, occasionally when I put air in the tire, I can see a little green "bubble" and hissing. I just ride the bike a little, then it stops leaking. So it's like the slime is doing it's job every time.

I'm probably going to do the same for my new electric bike. Since I don't normally ride in "hazardous" areas. Oh yeah, THORNS! The most common problem! And those super thin tubes and tires don't help.. LOL. In my old days, with a beach cruiser I had, I ran those strips inside the tire along with thorn resistant tubes. I had great luck with that. But like you guys say, they are NOT invincible. I one time ran over a glass bottle, and INSTANTLY went flat! ugh!

Back