Simple Rear Derailleur Adjustment

Ann M.

Do you hear an annoying grinding or clicking noise coming from the rear wheel of your bike or you can't shift into all of the gears? You need a simple rear derailleur adjustment. Besides having a quieter ride, your chain, derailleur and rear sprockets will last longer saving money by avoiding more expensive repairs. You only need a few tools: a Phillip's or flat head screwdriver, some small metric wrenches (3-6 mm) or an adjustable wrench and a 5mm hex wrench to adjust a derailleur.

What causes the derailleur to go out of adjustment? With a new bike or cable, there's some “stretch” or slack of the shifter cable that develops over time resulting in poor shifting. With an older or dry, oxidized cable, friction inside the cable housing can make each shift feel difficult so the cable may need lubrication or replacement. Also check for a frayed cable or broken housing or a broken jockey roller; these will need to be replaced. An unfortunate impact could smack the derailleur hard enough to bend it or the derailleur mount (the hanger), possibly even bending a rear dropout on the frame in towards the rear wheel. More often it's the hanger made with a lighter material that's the culprit and bends. No amount of adjustments will help unless the derailleur is hanging straight.

Take a quick look from behind the bike at wheel level to check the vertical alignment of the two pulleys or jockey rollers inside the cage to verify that the derailleur is hanging straight. The lower pulley should be directly underneath the upper one positioned just below the sprockets or the chain will not track properly. If this checks out, then you're ready to begin the adjustments. (Note: some derailleurs with a longer cage designed to accommodate a wide gear range may have the lower roller offset outwards just a bit.)

derailleur-alignment.jpg

If the derailleur or hanger is bent, a bike shop mechanic will use a special derailleur alignment tool to straighten it. In the case of a bent hanger that is not part of the derailleur but bolted onto the frame, it may be better and less expensive to replace it rather than bend it. However, at home or on the road you can readily remove the derailleur and carefully bend the tab on the hanger with a set of pliers or an adjustable wrench for a temporary fix. Don't try to straighten the derailleur by bending the pulley cage; you're more likely to damage the cage or misalign the pulleys.

Begin the derailleur adjustment by loosening the gear cable at the derailleur clamp bolt, then reset the barrel adjusters at the derailleur and/or shifter body by screwing them all the way down (clockwise), then screw them out (counter-clockwise) one full turn. This gives you room to do fine adjustments of the cable tension when needed. Leave the cable loose while you adjust the limiter screws for a more accurate adjustment.

barrel-adjuster-for-gear-cable.jpg

Shift into the highest gear (the smallest sprocket) by turning the cranks. If the chain doesn't seat on this sprocket smoothly or looks like it will jump off into the gap between the frame and the sprocket, then you need to adjust the set screws. Look for the pair of small screws on the derailleur body and find the one marked with an “H.” Turn this screw clockwise to limit the motion of the derailleur outwards if the chain tries to jump into the frame and counter-clockwise if the chain won't land firmly on the outer sprocket. The upper pulley or jockey roller should now be directly underneath the smallest sprocket when you check it from behind.

derailleur-limit-screws.jpg

Next, press in on the derailleur to help shift into the lowest gear, your largest sprocket. If the chain won't shift onto that sprocket or tries to shift into the spokes adjust the other set screw marked “L” so that the upper pulley is centered directly below the largest sprocket. Check this alignment by looking from behind the bike; it's critical to ensure the derailleur can't push the chain off the sprocket and into the spokes. That could result in a bent derailleur or hanger if you're lucky or broken spokes and a good case of road rash if you're not. In some cases these set screws are not labeled so you'll need to look at the points where these screws press against the derailleur to determine which is the high or low screw.

Now you're ready to re-tension the gear cable. Pull the gear cable snug, not too tight, just using your fingers and tighten down the clamp bolt. Beware of over-tightening this bolt, it's easy to strip threads or break off the bolt head.

shifter-cable-tensioning.jpg

After you're comfortable that the adjustments for the smallest and largest sprockets are set then shift up one gear from the smallest sprocket and turn the pedals. You should hear one clear click from the index shifter followed by a clean gear change onto the next sprocket. If not, then the cable tension needs adjusting. If it won't shift up onto the adjacent larger sprocket or shifts slowly the cable needs to be tighter. Twist the barrel or index adjuster located on either end of the gear cable counter-clockwise in quarter turn increments until the chain seats smoothly and quietly into the next gear. If the chain shifts but wants to skip onto the next larger sprocket, twist the barrel adjuster clockwise in quarter turn increments to improve the alignment. If you have a problem shifting down to a smaller sprocket, loosen the cable a bit by turning the adjuster clockwise. Should you still have difficulty with shifting then release the cable at the clamp bolt again and tighten it just a bit if there's a problem shifting up into a larger sprocket and loosen it if it won't shift down into a smaller sprocket. FYI, many bikes have two barrel adjusters, the one next to the shifter will be handy for a quick adjustment while riding.

Now you can cleanly shift up and down, 1 gear at a time; a nice clear click and shift. If you still hear a slight sound or the shift seems to be too slow then it's time to adjust the “B-tension” screw, a solo screw on many derailleurs that lets you fine tune the angle of the cage so that it clears all of the sprockets. The goal is to have a similar tension on the upper “b” and lower “a” springs that take up chain slack as you shift. Loosening this screw will bring the upper jockey pulley in closer to the sprockets for better shifting. Be sure to check this alignment in the bike's lowest gear (the smallest front chainring and the largest sprocket in the rear set); if this screw is too loose, the pulley could rub on the largest sprocket.

b-adjust-screw.jpg

Note that Campanolo rear derailleurs have an “A-tension” screw instead of a “B” screw that adjusts the lower spring instead. In this case, tighten the “A” screw to achieve the proper tension and alignment of the upper jockey roller under the sprockets.

Don't forget to lube the chain after all the adjustments are done and do a test ride. You may find that there's just a little tweaking needing to be done once the weight of the rider is on the bike so take your tools along.

Remember to examine the chain and sprockets, too. A dry or rusty chain can cause poor shifting as can an older or heavily used chain that has stretched. A worn chain or set of sprockets with worn teeth may cause skipping as you pedal, so you might need to replace one or both. In general if you replace the cassette or freewheel, it's a good idea to also install a new chain. Then the two will wear together with better shifting and longer life for both components. Check for a stiff or damaged link if the chain has a regular jump or sticky point as you pedal. Watch as the chain feeds through the pulleys as you backpedal and the problem link should be easy to spot. This is simple to fix with an inexpensive chain tool that spreads the outer plates of the tight link just a bit so they will flex more easily at the pins that connect the links. If you notice this while your on the road without a full set of tools, find the tight link and gently twist the links around it from side to side which should free up the sticky link.

This video by Sweetsbench summarizes these basic derailleur adjustments:

Last edited:
Great instructions and timely too as I need to take care of this weekend. I made the mistake of adjusting my rear derailleur only to realize my chain needed replacing due to stretch. So, I've got my new chain and ready to try again.

Yes, the chain and other related components are just as important as the derailleur itself. Think an article about chains would be in order, too :)

This just happened to me; as in I could no longer really shift into first gear without it sounding like it would derail at any moment… On the ride home I stopped by the local shop and they adjusted exactly those two screws you show above! I will now be keeping an eye on that as part of my regular maintenance. Thanks!

For me, it is quite necessary to know how to adjust the bike chain on the derailleur. It can save you a few bucks from minor repairs and long-haul dangers. Plus, it even keeps you going even if the leash comes loose. It's important to carry a handy tool, like the Oumers multi-function bicycle chain tool, and other essentials wherever you go to make repairs easier than ever.
I have at least three of those Oumers tools. They work great until they don't. The shelves inside the jaw will bend. Still, for ten bucks they work. But since they can't be depended upon, I use the mini Park tool in my onboard kits because it will always work. The last thing you need on the side of the road sitting on a curb is to have your chainbreaker fail... since if you are using one, your life already sucks as it is.

Proper use of a chainbreaker is a bit of a lost skill. People rely on quick links these days, and being an old-school cyclist I took a long time to come around to them. BUT the master/quick links are better and smarter to use. Why? A quality hi strength chain like a KMC 'e' or SRAM EX and many others have flanged chain pins. Your chain is much stronger if the pin has a flange on the outside edge that prevents the side plate from spreading and the chain blowing out as a result.

What happens when you use a chainbreaker to pop out one of those pins? They break off the flange. If you've ever used a chainbreaker and noticed that teeny metal ring around the chain pin, thats the pin flange. Gone and no longer useful to you. When you re-section the chain and push that pin back in again, the flange is no longer there and you now have a weak spot on your chain, courtesy of the fact its no longer 1978 and technology has moved forward.

Which brings me to the master links. They work. They are meant to be permanent. You need to be aware of whether your master links are re-usable or not (KMC sells single-use and multi-use versions. 3 guesses which ones I buy for my KMC 'e' chains).

Chainbreakers (aka 'chain rivet remover tools') in the 21st century should be used only to push a pin out when shortening a chain. They're great for that. Because when riding a mid drive you are royally screwed without a chain, I carry a chainbreaker, a chain, and master links. And since I have been doing this long enough to have Murphy's law bite me on the ass, I also carry chain pliers. Because I'm worth it.

I went from nothing, to chain breaker tool, and finally to master link in about a week. When I converted my Diamondback to a mid drive, I knew nothing about chain. Couldn't find a master link on it, so I sawed off the front derailleur to get it off the chain.

Then I bought a chain breaker tool, Regretted not having it earlier. However, I found that if I rejoined the chain, the links would always bind up, and it took some finesse to get them loose. I asked about this on a bike forum and was informed everyone, except old timers were now using KMC quick links, and I do that too. I haven't bought the KMC tool. Rather injure myself with vise grips that slip,

Then I bought a chain breaker tool, Regretted not having it earlier. However, I found that if I rejoined the chain, the links would always bind up, and it took some finesse to get them loose. I asked about this on a bike forum and was informed everyone, except old timers were now using KMC quick links, and I do that too. I haven't bought the KMC tool. Rather injure myself with vise grips that slip,
We all gotta start somewhere. I'm lucky enough to have started when I was about 15. There'll be 60 candles on the next cake. The binding thing is easily fixed if and only if your chainbreaker has a second shelf in the middle of itself that lets you move the chain inboard onto it and push the link apart just a *hair*. But lots of tools don't have them. @harryS you have probably already figured this out but for the next guy...

This tool doesn't have the second shelf. Tool kaka.
71Ws03WjFhL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

This Park mini tool has the second shelf. Tool good.

61GKN5GNy1L._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

Here's a vid showing how to do it with that Park mini chainring tool. Its one of the few Park tools not overpriced and its rock solid. I would do just what this guy says to do in his 1:30 video except I would not go anywhere near as far turning the lever. I would go up to the pin and then spread just a hair at a time to only minimally spread the link. Spreading the link too far is what kills the chain so I want as little of this as I need and no more.

BTW its these 'shelves' that the Oumers tool mentioned a few posts up bends on you. They cost half the Park tool but since I've bent two of my three over time ...

I have a tool to gauge over stretching on my Kmc chain remove and replace.
Good point. People need these if they are riding on mid drives (hub motors not so much).

I seem to have bought every one of those possible, too. Not because I wanted to test them all against each other, but because I keep setting them down and they disappear, so I have to go buy another one. Functionally, I don't see much difference between any of them except some have different measuring points.

Amazon tells me I bought one of these in 2017 and another in ... 2017. Seven bucks. Also another no-name one in 2019. Same price and measurement levels (0.75 and 1.0). And in 2018 one of my Oumers chain tools came with one, again with 0.75 and 1.0 measurements.

0.75 and 1.0 represent 0.75% and 1.0% stretch, respectively.

71e+V4vNGbL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

At some point in the distant past I bought a Shimano chain wear tool. Genuinely lost that one. They are ridiculously expensive at nearly $40 and no better than the cheaper ones for $7.

At some other point within the last couple of years I bought a Park CC-4. I wanted its finer 0.5 and 0.75 measurements - mostly because my mid drives are set up well and I do not experience measurable chain wear after as much as 1600 miles. I wanted a finer measurement. At $15.95 this one is more expensive but I'd call this the recommended tool to buy out of the bunch. Its simple, not too expensive and if your chain gets to 0.75% thats a great time to retire it - potentially before it wears into and ruins your rear cluster.
81j9yvV0tIL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

Late in 2021 my chain tools were all MIA and I decided to spring the big bucks for the fancy Park CC-2. At almost $30 thats a lot, but it does look fancy and precise (and it sort of is). It measures down to 0.25 which translates to "new chain" and measures out to as much as 1.0. Thats nice and all, but bottom line is its more than you need vs. the simple go/no-go gauge that is all the other types of chain checkers.
61-QD4LyXoS._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

Lastly, to put a period at the end of the chain link discussion, I wanted to mention what type of chain pliers to buy. @harryS mentioned the KMC tool, and those are a bit of a ripoff. KMC and a few other vendors sell you one chain plier to remove the link, and another to attach it again. Thats BS. You should only use one plier for both and there are plenty of them out there. Because I have a discrete bike tool kit that stays on each of my bikes, I have many sets of these pliers. A couple-three of them are the Park MLP-1.2's and all the rest are the Oumers el cheapo pliers. Amazon says I have bought five of them. At least one is in my garage tool kit so maybe 4 sets on as many bikes. There is no functional difference between the two. The Oumers version does both jobs just fine for $6.99 and the Park version does it for $16.95. The Park version is a bit simpler and less space-intensive thanks to its lack of the unnecessary springs and retaining latch of the Oumers tool. I prefer the Park version for that reason on smaller kits.

615+f64gLfL._AC_SL1200_[1].jpg

You don't require chain pliers to do the job. Its a function of how much you want to turn a simple job that can't be screwed up into a complex one that can, to save almost no money. You can use a shoestring threaded into the links to pull the master link together and dislodge it, and you can use your feet and stomp (gently) on the cranks to pull the chain tight again (assuming you positioned the link exactly right). If I am already up Schitt Creek and repairing a chain, I don't want to leave open the chance that my repair causes new issues.

Yep. I know how to finesse the chain breaker to get the link loose. I also use a piece of coat hanger to support the chain so I could put oin the master link. I should get a chain plier though. I hate it when an improvised pliers slips and your link flies away, and it's worse when it pinches your hands. What I didn't like was the KMC price, but I put the oumers into my cart.

Back