Show your cockpit

The only problem with the mirrors I perceive now Tim is looking downwards. The angle of view is excellent, the mirrors are located the way there is no conflict with the hands. The gain is the narrow profile of the bike, it is only 700 mm wide now. (The EU law reads a bike shall not be wider than 0.9 m). Previously, the bike was 1 metre wide and it was very troublesome in many aspects.

I need to do the same rearrangement to my Vado.

Went for the clean cockpit look on my new build. Have to find a bell that will work to complete.

Groadster bar view.JPG

The last upgrade for the Vado

Nothing more would fit the handlebars after the Ergon GP 3 grips have been installed :D

1588184682304.png

Wake bike stem, 45mm
Hafny mirror. Mounted in reverse
BONMIXC Shock Absorption Ergonomic Bike Grips, with Horns
Wake gold tone endcaps, for the asthetics
Anti slip, silicone brake handle grips
EDC bag: for my pump and tire repair tools

Cockpit 1.png

The bag also fills in the gap between the handlebar and all of the cables, without hindering said cables
Bag.jpg

Representation of my view
mirror view.jpg

OK, after today's shopping trip ride I finally got around to some pics of my cockpit(s). I've got two versions of my Vado cockpit; the one for everyday rides (EDR?) and the one for extended rides (EXTR?). Here's the everyday ride version:

20200516_165233.jpg

I know, ther's some real estate available to the left of the stem. Working on it...
So for now, from left to right:
Ergon Biokork grip with GP2 bar ends to better clear mirrors. I salvaged these ends from an older worn out set of Ergon grips since the Biokork grips don't offer the GP2 bar ends.
Hafney glass lens mirror. I tried the steel mirror reverse mounted under the handlebar. The steel had distortion that I found distracting. Reverse mounting took my eyes off the road too much.
Shimano T8000 brake lever
Specialized TCD Handlebar Remote selector Switch
Oi luxe bell, black
Fenix BC21R 880lm light with18650 lithium battery, used in flash mode in daylight
Supernova V521s running light remounted on custom 3D printed extension to clear Ortlieb handlebar bag (not shown)
Turbo Vado TCD-W display
GUB phone mount. I use a silicone phone case that fits well in this mount. I'm still testing phone apps...
Shimano brake lever and 11spd shifter
Hafney mirror
Ergon grip and bar end

I do have to say that I've used a helmet mounted mirror for years (decades?). Works great for our annual supported bike tours; bring helmet, you got your mirror. Based on comments on this blog I decided to try handlebar mounted mirrors. I am still getting accustomed to them but for riding the Vados mostly on streets I see their benefits. I'm not scrapping my helmet mounted mirror, but adding to it.

The extended ride version includes all of the above, plus:

20200516_165831_20200516171618421.jpg

20200516_165856.jpg

Blackburn Outback 'feedbags' for more water bottles, snacks, etc. One each side of stem.
Dakine Gripper frame bag. Currently setup for a 2nd spare tube, extra CO2 cartridges and steel reinforced tire levers, but it can hold whatever you need without taking up too much top tube space. Important when sliding off the saddle!

Missing - Ortlieb 9L handlebar bag, but it is in this pic with the Ortlieb Accessory Pack
20200218_135826.jpg

Note the water bottle cages mounted to the fork arms. These use Two Fish adapters that are mounted to allow our largest water bottles to clear the downtube. I've found that these are fine on pavement, but slip on gravel. I added a worm drive clamp under each adapter that prevents slippage. The clamps are painted black and have 'rubber' shims between them and the forks to prevent fork damage. They're nearly invisible and don't slip anymore, gravel or not.

These grips still have the GP3 bar ends that I changed out for GP2s to provide better clearance for the Hafney mirrors.

And there you have it, a hobby completley out of control...😎

But, unlike some of my other hobbies, this one is good for me.

Ride on.

Tim, I like your setup only the cork lined grips wouldn't work in the climate where I live 😊 But it never rains in California!

Pogies, right? How'd your Vado battery holdup at those temps?
Sorry what are Pogies? Battery didn’t mind winter temps at all. I kept the battery indoors and put it on the bike for the ride. I figured as the motor starts to draw power the batteries would generate their own heat. I saw no noticeable reduction in power or range. As soon as I got home I removed the battery and took it inside.

Sorry what are Pogies? Battery didn’t mind winter temps at all. I kept the battery indoors and put it on the bike for the ride. I figured as the motor starts to draw power the batteries would generate their own heat. I saw no noticeable reduction in power or range. As soon as I got home I removed the battery and took it inside.
Pogies are insulated hand covers. I've used them for winter kayaking, but not cycling. Amazon has a selection for both sports at https://www.amazon.com/Pogies/s?k=Pogies .

Your battery seems to work well. Do you use studded tires?

From left to right.
(1) front motor throttle
(2) Left bar extender for long trips
(3) Cup holder (mainly used to hold hand wipes when I stop to eat)
(4) Power switch for front motor
(5) Front left screen (front motor display)
(6) Rear widescreen (review view camera powered by front motor battery)
(7) Front right screen (rear motor display)
(8) White tab (air horn)
(9) Power switch for rear motor
(10) Right bar extender
(11) Twist throttle for rear motor

I had to cut the grips about 1 inch shorter to fit the bar extenders.

IMG_20200520_174725.jpg

From left to right.
(1) front motor throttle
(2) Left bar extender for long trips
(3) Cup holder (mainly used to hold hand wipes when I stop to eat)
(4) Power switch for front motor
(5) Front left screen (front motor display)
(6) Rear widescreen (review view camera powered by front motor battery)
(7) Front right screen (rear motor display)
(8) White tab (air horn)
(9) Power switch for rear motor
(10) Right bar extender
(11) Twist throttle for rear motor

I had to cut the grips about 1 inch shorter to fit the bar extenders.

View attachment 52942
Now that's a full set of bars!

How do people/cars react to your air horn?

Is the camera screen bright enough to use in bright daylight?

Back