SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

No goggles or do you just find them too much of a hassle? I admit that I don’t ride in the wet all that often and only don goggles to protect my eyes from extreme windchill.
I tried them but in the rain they seem to blur more since they are farther away from my eyes. without glasses it may be different. at night it made it much worse. I tried a visa too but same problem. it just became a hassle.

I tried them but in the rain they seem to blur more since they are farther away from my eyes. without glasses it may be different. at night it made it much worse. I tried a visa too but same problem. it just became a hassle.
I wear glasses too and wondered how effective goggles would be in the rain. I’ve seen them with prescription inserts such as the versions sold by Wiley X that don't sit too large on the face but still provide protection from the elements with a removeable face cavity seal. I believe that certain branches of the military wear them.

I wear glasses too and wondered how effective goggles would be in the rain. I’ve seen them with prescription inserts such as the versions sold by Wiley X that don't sit too large on the face but still provide protection from the elements with a removeable face cavity seal. I believe that certain branches of the military wear them.

My wife wears glasses but when I bought her a pair of goggles she tried them and then rejected them. I have used the same goggles without glasses and they worked quite well, but enough friggin Winter. I am gonna make it through this season if it kills me.....

that would be the way to go but I don't want to have to spend that kind of money and to have to change glasses on every ride.

I did 30 miles this morning on the Withlacoochie State Trail in Inverness FL. Beautiful ride!!

Attachments

• C32E28EB-A294-4515-92A7-070DC519074F.jpeg
    C32E28EB-A294-4515-92A7-070DC519074F.jpeg
    469.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 80E35FE8-B763-41C2-87D4-A7CE373F0BD0.jpeg
    80E35FE8-B763-41C2-87D4-A7CE373F0BD0.jpeg
    634.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 59EA0753-4A73-4907-8336-9CD10914498D.jpeg
    59EA0753-4A73-4907-8336-9CD10914498D.jpeg
    877.5 KB · Views: 107
  • ADDE6B3D-3651-4162-A48E-EAC2ED6988B8.jpeg
    ADDE6B3D-3651-4162-A48E-EAC2ED6988B8.jpeg
    790.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 2145782E-AB83-4065-9F21-41EBB70D26EB.jpeg
    2145782E-AB83-4065-9F21-41EBB70D26EB.jpeg
    549.8 KB · Views: 118
  • E931E7A8-9E1A-4342-9A25-9C243CADD2A2.jpeg
    E931E7A8-9E1A-4342-9A25-9C243CADD2A2.jpeg
    831.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 30EF72C6-EBB3-4607-8CFA-D66D3272A375.jpeg
    30EF72C6-EBB3-4607-8CFA-D66D3272A375.jpeg
    710.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 25ED7057-0A2C-41F8-B273-64F1EB1A86DB.jpeg
    25ED7057-0A2C-41F8-B273-64F1EB1A86DB.jpeg
    764.5 KB · Views: 112
  • B5663F8F-6601-47CC-AC8C-62C04C224BBF.jpeg
    B5663F8F-6601-47CC-AC8C-62C04C224BBF.jpeg
    487.6 KB · Views: 108
  • E4884DC3-FBAF-4804-85D5-03B01002F65C.jpeg
    E4884DC3-FBAF-4804-85D5-03B01002F65C.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 110
Goggles can be very helpful to keep the eyeballs from freezing, but to keep water off one's glasses, I've have found adding a visor like this to my helmet helps a lot.
Just ordered this helmet visor to keep the sun out of my eyes. Sounds like I should try it in the rain, too.

The good and bad news: Westbound roads with ocean views are hard to avoid here. The low afternoon sun gets so blinding that it becomes a serious safety issue — especially when glare off the water's also in your eyes. My polarized prescription glasses darken automatically, but nowhere near enough.

Worse yet, the drivers around me are blinded, too. Yeah, if I were smart, I wouldn't ride on roads in the late afternoon. It's just too beautiful to resist.

Just ordered this helmet visor to keep the sun out of my eyes. Sounds like I should try it in the rain, too.

The good and bad news: Westbound roads with ocean views are hard to avoid here. The low afternoon sun gets so blinding that it becomes a serious safety issue — especially when glare off the water's also in your eyes. My polarized prescription glasses darken automatically, but nowhere near enough.

Worse yet, the drivers around me are blinded, too. Yeah, if I were smart, I wouldn't ride on roads in the late afternoon. It's just too beautiful to resist.
That clip on visor would be excellent with respect to glare but I don’t know how it would hold up in rain or against stiff wind. I do have a waterproof Gore-tex cycling cap that I can wear under my helmet but I'm not sure if the brim would extend far enough to prevent rain or spray out of my eyes. Just thinking of an upcoming cycling trip and rain might/will play a key factor.

That clip on visor would be excellent with respect to glare but I don’t know how it would hold up in rain or against stiff wind. I do have a waterproof Gore-tex cycling cap that I can wear under my helmet but I'm not sure if the brim would extend far enough to prevent rain or spray out of my eyes. Just thinking of an upcoming cycling trip and rain might/will play a key factor.
Got to try one at the Pedego LBS. Wrong color but looked promising, so I ordered directly from Da Brim.

The bill velcros to a tight strap that goes around your helmet. Surprisingly secure. Wind and rain aren't out of the question. We'll see.

Thought about a thin baseball-style cap under my helmet but worried that it might compromise the crash protection.

Hoping it will melt today as it’s 24 degrees when I took this pic. The bike usually works as a crutch walking on slick surfaces to the train. But when I got off it was bad the snow got into the treads and the bike was sliding everywhere. View attachment 147691
Running studded tires are probably a needless expense with the brief squalls that you folks receive there. Then again, I’ve seen the havoc that vehicles in Metro Van can create without the aid of winter tires. ‘Hoping it will melt today’, would be wish come true for most folks here. Ain’t gonna happen but I hope that it does for you. In the meantime, tread and ride with caution.

Running studded tires are probably a needless expense with the brief squalls that you folks receive there. Then again, I’ve seen the havoc that vehicles in Metro Van can create without the aid of winter tires. ‘Hoping it will melt today’, would be wish come true for most folks here. Ain’t gonna happen but I hope that it does for you. In the meantime, tread and ride with caution.
Ya I debated it. I have my bulls bike doing nothing so I could set it up. but even though I dont know if I would be brave enough. the streets dont get plowed so the ride would be very harsh.

I did 30 miles this morning on the Withlacoochie State Trail in Inverness FL. Beautiful ride!!
Florida one of the only states in the US short of Hawaii warm enough to ride today. It got down to freezing a mile away from us in Palm Springs. Snow at the base of the Tram station. Its 52 degrees F right now, but thats too cold for me to consider riding or golfing. Gunna work out and then go find a cheeseburger!

Oceanside, OR, taken from my patio at noon 2/23. Won't stick around long but it was the most snow we've gotten here in at least the 30yrs. my 85yr. old neighbor gal has been here. 9 or 10 inches I'd say.

View attachment 147654

When I lived in Crested Butte it would have been what we called a "Rule Day" and everybody would head for the hill!
We were down that way Sunday when it was still the more typical PNW February weather. The sun made a brief appearance the last 10 minutes of the day while we were at Hug Point.
PXL_20230220_020825287.jpg

Only snow we saw was from the top of the Astoria Column on Monday, but it was still rain down at ground level.

We were down that way Sunday when it was still the more typical PNW February weather. The sun made a brief appearance the last 10 minutes of the day while we were at Hug Point.
View attachment 147699
Only snow we saw was from the top of the Astoria Column on Monday, but it was still rain down at ground level.
Astoria's a real gem in my book. Quaint town in a beautiful spot near the mouth of the Columbia River. The area's drenched in hair-raising maritime history. The Maritime Museum on the Coast Guard wharf is time well spent.

That looks like a tricky commute on those tires Foofer.
they have been ok on slick surfaces but some places they were like ice skates. butI didn't to ride where its was slick I walked the bike. it did not thaw like ti was supposed to. I got to ride about 8 blocks then want the rest of the way to the train and ride almost all the way home.

they have been ok on slick surfaces but some places they were like ice skates. butI didn't to ride where its was slick I walked the bike. it did not thaw like ti was supposed to. I got to ride about 8 blocks then want the rest of the way to the train and ride almost all the way home.
Gee, I’m wondering if I should take back what I said about the studded tires. Looks pretty sketchy to me. Then again, it will probably all melt away once you get them installed. Good call on taking the train.

Back