SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

I would love to see some more pics of your Montague and I'm sure I'm not alone. 👍 👍👍
After 18 years or so of riding "legacy"/non eMontagues, and knowing how tight the space was in my plane, when econversions first came on my radar I assumed they would not be practical for my particular application. Much to my surprise....., other then the expected added weight, it didn't change a thing, relative to how it stows in the plane. My first Mont conversion was an older model, rim brakes, with a BBS02, and the stock derailleur system, that worked OK but as I found out more about things e I realized what I really "needed" was a BBSHD, with tweaked programming (Luna Cycle, my supplier of choice) a Paratrooper Pro model, with disc brakes, and the biggie, the Rohloff hub. It all fit up like it was meant to be, and of course my chainline is now perfectly straight 100% of the time no matter what gear I'm in. I've had 50+ mile road rides (Ketchum ID to the top of Galena Summit and return) and too many to mention trail rides in remote locations, some just a mile or so and some much more. These are not established bike trails so I never know what I'm getting into. Other than flat tires the Mont has never let me down, and now I ride with a spare tube plus a tire patch kit, plus slime etc., and a 52 VDC air compressor and/or C02 bottles. My usual battery setup is a 6 AH Mini (now discontinued by Luna, darn it, it fit on a rack I built on my vert post, and was plenty for the shorter rides) plus a 11.5 AH Panasonic pack that hangs off the main tube in a padded bag I made, quick snap catches secure it, plus an addition 11.5 battery I can throw in a backpack or if I have the rear rack on, on it. This combo gives me lots of options, and I have yet to be caught with a dead battery, I am constantly amazed by these batteries!

This pic of the bike on a lookout was after I landed in the valley below, 2K below, after scouting out the trail from the air.
IMG_20160703_200020.jpg

I posted a writeup up on the Montague company blog 2 or 3 years ago, back when e bikes were still getting dissed much more than now, and they posted it but I think took it down later. Now, in 2021, I see they have jumped on the bandwagon and offer their own e bike! The next one was on the edge of the Frank Wilderness Area. The next a 9,000' high ride up from a dirt strip at 6K, to an old fire lookout outside of Sun Valley. The Travoy trailer, being used to carry a snowboard. The final one is a good shot of how I carry the batteries, and a recent mod, a larger "Dirt Wizard" tire, the biggest i can fit, the rear remains stock as there is no room to go bigger.
IMG_20190615_144122504.jpg
IMG_20180330_110903664.jpg
carry the batteries
IMG_20170624_073422983.jpg
IMG_20170702_153348833_HDR~2.jpg

After 18 years or so of riding "legacy"/non eMontagues, and knowing how tight the space was in my plane, when econversions first came on my radar I assumed they would not be practical for my particular application. Much to my surprise....., other then the expected added weight, it didn't change a thing, relative to how it stows in the plane. My first Mont conversion was an older model, rim brakes, with a BBS02, and the stock derailleur system, that worked OK but as I found out more about things e I realized what I really "needed" was a BBSHD, with tweaked programming (Luna Cycle, my supplier of choice) a Paratrooper Pro model, with disc brakes, and the biggie, the Rohloff hub. It all fit up like it was meant to be, and of course my chainline is now perfectly straight 100% of the time no matter what gear I'm in. I've had 50+ mile road rides (Ketchum ID to the top of Galena Summit and return) and too many to mention trail rides in remote locations, some just a mile or so and some much more. These are not established bike trails so I never know what I'm getting into. Other than flat tires the Mont has never let me down, and now I ride with a spare tube plus a tire patch kit, plus slime etc., and a 52 VDC air compressor and/or C02 bottles. My usual battery setup is a 6 AH Mini (now discontinued by Luna, darn it, it fit on a rack I built on my vert post, and was plenty for the shorter rides) plus a 11.5 AH Panasonic pack that hangs off the main tube in a padded bag I made, quick snap catches secure it, plus an addition 11.5 battery I can throw in a backpack or if I have the rear rack on, on it. This combo gives me lots of options, and I have yet to be caught with a dead battery, I am constantly amazed by these batteries!

This pic of the bike on a lookout was after I landed in the valley below, 2K below, after scouting out the trail from the air.View attachment 81880

I posted a writeup up on the Montague company blog 2 or 3 years ago, back when e bikes were still getting dissed much more than now, and they posted it but I think took it down later. Now, in 2021, I see they have jumped on the bandwagon and offer their own e bike! The next one was on the edge of the Frank Wilderness Area. The next a 9,000' high ride up from a dirt strip at 6K, to an old fire lookout outside of Sun Valley. The Travoy trailer, being used to carry a snowboard. The final one is a good shot of how I carry the batteries, and a recent mod, a larger "Dirt Wizard" tire, the biggest i can fit, the rear remains stock as there is no room to go bigger.View attachment 81886 View attachment 81885 carry the batteriesView attachment 81882View attachment 81881
Kudos and respect to a here-to-fore unknown pioneer. You have blazed an unfamiliar path and opened our horizons . Thank you. 👍 👍👍👍

Really nice pictures. Is the little guy the co - pilot?
No, he guards the fort while I'm gone.
Since the e addition of the Mont, I have taken it upon myself to be a one man band for getting other pilots turned on to the idea. I try and explain to them that like most things, you get what you pay for, and the Alibaba 20" e bike they can get for $500.00 may be not as good a deal as a more expensive Mont plus the conversion. A few times, I have whizzed by other pilots with "go fast" high dollar airplanes while they are walking into town, and I have just flown in with my kitplane puddle jumper, but now I'm top dog! I go out of my way to let other pilots take it for a ride, and of course they all come back with the ebike grin. IF I had nothing better to do, I'd buy a dozen Mont's and conversion kits, put them all together and pedal them (as in sell...) to pilots at fly-ins.

No, he guards the fort while I'm gone.
Since the e addition of the Mont, I have taken it upon myself to be a one man band for getting other pilots turned on to the idea. I try and explain to them that like most things, you get what you pay for, and the Alibaba 20" e bike they can get for $500.00 may be not as good a deal as a more expensive Mont plus the conversion. A few times, I have whizzed by other pilots with "go fast" high dollar airplanes while they are walking into town, and I have just flown in with my kitplane puddle jumper, but now I'm top dog! I go out of my way to let other pilots take it for a ride, and of course they all come back with the ebike grin. IF I had nothing better to do, I'd buy a dozen Mont's and conversion kits, put them all together and pedal them (as in sell...) to pilots at fly-ins.
Yep. The famous eBike grin. Works every time. But it did seem like both a dog and a bike in the passengers side would be a tight fit. My neighbor Charlie had to give up flying due to health (over 85 y/o, still rides a manual bike) and really misses it.
There are a few post on Montagues with kits installed in the Montague forum I linked to above, and an in depth review of the new ME-1 electric from maybe a month ago by Court. Seems like a quite nice bike, but a bit heavy at 55 lbs ... anyway we are a bit off topic for the weird and unusual. I sent you a PM .

The owner of this vintage gas station garage in my neighborhood has done a nice job remodeling the old structure that once stood in its place. He has a couple of hydraulic lifts inside and plenty of memorabilia to boot. I often see him driving around in his rat rod which he stores inside during the winter. It's pretty cool to see the building lit up at night!
View attachment 78619
PDOG check this out

Sweet!.... and I know the perfect spot to ride it!!👍
View attachment 81920
Hmmm, I've already got a front ski, 2 seasons now, and it works great. Up until the snow gets too deep and powdery, then the rear wheel sinks in and it's all over. But just the last two weeks, the freeze thaw cycles have hardened things up enough to stay on top, even with the front wheel back.IMG_20200130_170617400~2.jpgIMG_20200204_103954030~2.jpg

This pic of the bike on a lookout was after I landed in the valley below, 2K below, after scouting out the trail from the air.View attachment 81880

I posted a writeup up on the Montague company blog 2 or 3 years ago, back when e bikes were still getting dissed much more than now, and they posted it but I think took it down later. Now, in 2021, I see they have jumped on the bandwagon and offer their own e bike! The next one was on the edge of the Frank Wilderness Area. The next a 9,000' high ride up from a dirt strip at 6K, to an old fire lookout outside of Sun Valley. The Travoy trailer, being used to carry a snowboard. The final one is a good shot of how I carry the batteries, and a recent mod, a larger "Dirt Wizard" tire, the biggest i can fit, the rear remains stock as there is no room to go bigger.View attachment 81886 View attachment 81885 carry the batteriesView attachment 81882View attachment 81881
Brilliant... Did you have a chance to use the snowboard and rip some local alpine trails? 😉

1616118603236.png

I carry a Montague bike in my RANS S-7S kitplane (and have for 20 years) and 3 years ago converted it with a tweaked/hot rodded BBSHD Bafang and a Rohloff hub. At home I ride a Surly Wednesday i also hung a BBSHD and a Rohloff on. I wish I could take the fattie on plane trips, and as a joke, tried this. I'm going to need a bigger plane. Meanwhile, the Montague fits neatly inside, where the passenger seat normally goes. It takes less than 3 minutes after landing to be riding off, at a top speed of 38 mph, thanks to the hub's wide gear spread. Landing off airport and then exploring on the bike after I set my camp site up is pretty fun. With my Travoy folding trailer, it's also how I get car gas, what the plane prefers and also much cheaper than avgas.View attachment 81826View attachment 81827View attachment 81825
Once the awe subsided-- and I confess, it hasn't entirely, you have completely redefined Adventure E-Biking-- I did kind of crack up at the idea of using an electric bike to carry... gasoline. Makes perfect sense, but it is wonderfully bizarre that it's probably too inefficient to use a gas bike to go get gas! I mean, I guess if you carried a small motorcycle instead, you could use the gas in the motorcycle's tank for your plane instead of... oh, never mind. This is just magnificent, what a great way to solve the problem of actually getting to the coolest trails (among other things.)

From the Shaggy Dog Story Department, I originally spotted this smashed table out of the corner of my eye right after I mounted the kit and rode past the Hollywood sign and into the San Fernando valley for the first time... "What was that?!" The next few times I took that route, I couldn't find it, so it seemed like maybe it was in some alternate dimension or something, however I finally realized it wasn't as far from the crest of the hill as I thought.

Eventually, while browsing for maps and trails, I did find online references to this spot. The story, which I can't imagine anyone believing, is that this tree fell and killed two lovers back in 1979. What I find more interesting is that this is a perfect example of how relatively unmaintained the backside of Griffith Park is. The more popular areas are landscaped more like a private estate, with tennis courts and golf courses, but there are parts of the park that saw a lot more use 40 or 50 years ago. There are strange little derelict outbuildings and odd ruins of walls and buildings in the less traveled areas of the park, and I wonder what else I will find if I keep exploring. Fun to try to imagine what the park was like back in the 1930s or 40s, or even at the turn of the century.
Smash Table Tight.jpeg

From the Shaggy Dog Story Department, I originally spotted this smashed table out of the corner of my eye right after I mounted the kit and rode past the Hollywood sign and into the San Fernando valley for the first time... "What was that?!" The next few times I took that route, I couldn't find it, so it seemed like maybe it was in some alternate dimension or something, however I finally realized it wasn't as far from the crest of the hill as I thought.

Eventually, while browsing for maps and trails, I did find online references to this spot. The story, which I can't imagine anyone believing, is that this tree fell and killed two lovers back in 1979. What I find more interesting is that this is a perfect example of how relatively unmaintained the backside of Griffith Park is. The more popular areas are landscaped more like a private estate, with tennis courts and golf courses, but there are parts of the park that saw a lot more use 40 or 50 years ago. There are strange little derelict outbuildings and odd ruins of walls and buildings in the less traveled areas of the park, and I wonder what else I will find if I keep exploring. Fun to try to imagine what the park was like back in the 1930s or 40s, or even at the turn of the century.
View attachment 81975
more pics required. Show us where Bosch lives.

View attachment 81975
I'm sure you are aware of this but I want to reinforce your awareness. Be careful out there. No telling who or what lurks in those deserted areas. 😶

I'm sure you are aware of this but I want to reinforce your awareness. Be careful out there. No telling who or what lurks in those deserted areas. 😶
Absolutely!

A recent case here in PA is a perfect example of what can happen in these areas. A couple who said they were just "exploring" a derelict house were shot by someone who was living there. The man was killed and the woman seriously wounded. The homeowner of the run down and seemingly abandoned house was eventually charged with murder but it didn't help the couple much:

Absolutely!

A recent case here in PA is a perfect example of what can happen in these areas. A couple who said they were just "exploring" a derelict house were shot by someone who was living there. The man was killed and the woman seriously wounded. The homeowner of the run down and seemingly abandoned house was eventually charged with murder but it didn't help the couple much:

Thanks, Reed and 6Z, point well taken. I would not go into any abandoned structures, unless they were wide-open ruins with a clear field of view. I rarely dismount when I'm riding, and if I do, I'm rarely more than a few feet away from my bike, because I won't let it be stolen and bikes are a great way to get away from trouble.

I grew up in NYC during the 1970s, and had a lot of bikes stolen-- one right out from under me, a Raleigh 3-speed, while I was probably doing 15 MPH. At a certain point, I just got sick of it... I found that I could get away from almost anyone, even sometimes when they already had one hand on my handlebars or frame. My best escape was on my mother's bike, when a guy actually pulled a switchblade and poked me in the chest with it. Just shoved him away, jumped on the bike, and rode off. I was maybe 15 years old, no one ever took a bike from me after that, though several people tried.

A lot of it is about choosing where you stop and always having an escape route planned. With an e-Bike, it's even easier to escape (unless the assailant has a firearm, which is obviously a different and rare situation, not a lot of gun crime in Griffith Park, for whatever reason.) If I can see someone, or even two or three people, and they are more than three feet away, yeah-- I'm going to get away. It's not a bad idea to have pepper spray or a stun gun or some other legal carry when in any remote area, though that would be for a rare and desperate situation.

Mountain lions are also a concern, there are only a few around here who are generally not aggressive at all, but I've seen them within a quarter mile of my house. The only trouble I've had in the park so far was a brief misunderstanding when a group of golfers saw me headed towards the course! I explained that I was using the golf cart trails, not riding on the grass, and why that shortcut helped my battery range issues, everyone was totally cool about it.

Back