SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

Did the pit loop today

Gravel getters.JPG

There are 4 big ones across the road scattered about. Beautiful day for dodging the SW wind which I got in the face on one climb and the tail on a few others.

People seen: 0

Elk seen: 15

I actually disturbed them twice because they ran off to the right of the fork I was heading for the left that is an down and back and they had headed towards my exit. I stopped each time til they moved and they were curious but spooky. Big animals

Did the pit loop today

View attachment 80942
There are 4 big ones across the road scattered about. Beautiful day for dodging the SW wind which I got in the face on one climb and the tail on a few others.

People seen: 0

Elk seen: 15

I actually disturbed them twice because they ran off to the right of the fork I was heading for the left that is an down and back and they had headed towards my exit. I stopped each time til they moved and they were curious but spooky. Big animals
There is a herd of Elk here in PA. (Elk county) and they aren't just big, they are pretty smart. Watched a group stand by the side of the road and wait for the traffic to clear, then just walk across. Impressive.

Interesting photo. I wonder what is keeping the bike upright? Is it a composite overlay of the bike on a background scenery shot? Maybe someone was holding it and took their hand away just long enough to snap the pic. I suppose it could be touched up with photoshop.

What can I say, these things interest me.
Yes, you are indeed a, noticer! Keep up the work 👍

Not unusual to see groundhogs where I ride. But this one scooted between my wheels and my rear wheel rolled over him and threw my rear end (both mine and my bike's!) into the air about 3 inches. Pic taken from my bike camera. No apparent harm to the critter from what I could glance in my mirror.

View attachment 81075
Nice bike lane... Get well soon little fella.

Rode ~30 miles on the Sacramento River Trail with our mech bikes a few days ago with warm, spring time temps. Came around a corner to find a huge tom turkey in full display for a bunch of hens below the trail. We skidded to a stop but not before the tom hissed at us. Never seen that before!

0302211310b_Film1.jpg

Other toms out courting.

0302211310_Film1.jpg

They turuned their backs to us as the big tom on the trail strutted off. Never seen that before, either! But then, the ladies were wandering off...

No spring weather up here in Nevada City! It's been raining and hailing all day. Snow tonight through tomorrow.

Rode ~30 miles on the Sacramento River Trail with our mech bikes a few days ago with warm, spring time temps. Came around a corner to find a huge tom turkey in full display for a bunch of hens below the trail. We skidded to a stop but not before the tom hissed at us. Never seen that before!

View attachment 81170
Other toms out courting.

View attachment 81171
They turuned their backs to us as the big tom on the trail strutted off. Never seen that before, either! But then, the ladies were wandering off...

No spring weather up here in Nevada City! It's been raining and hailing all day. Snow tonight through tomorrow.

I think this guy would have been happy to see your turkeys!
P1040016c.jpg

Poor guy had to settle for some small rodent instead.
P1040014c.jpg

Usually, red Foxes are nocturnal but I caught this guy with a long lens as he crossed the trail after I passed.

I think this guy would have been happy to see your turkeys!
View attachment 81419

Poor guy had to settle for some small rodent instead.
View attachment 81418

Usually, red Foxes are nocturnal but I caught this guy with a long lens as he crossed the trail after I passed.
Excellent shot of a beautiful little creature. I was wondering how he let you get so close. You must have had a very steady hand on that camera!

Excellent shot of a beautiful little creature. I was wondering how he let you get so close. You must have had a very steady hand on that camera!
The fire road I ride in winter is quite close to our house. We see the fox nearby on occasion and I think he's used to our scent. We live in a very rural area with no other houses nearby. We don't bother the abundant wildlife and with the exception of the birds, don't feed them. We often have close encounters with the "locals" who, for the most part, just ignore us.

I rarely go any where without a decent camera and the shot was taken from 250' away using a 300 mm lens with image stabilization.

Back