SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

My all-time favorite car... even a replica.

20200713_163245.jpg

This was... Is my driving song, different era but.... -
I had a 'Stang with a Cobra kit I'd drive through the Nevada Desert to see my now wife. There was sign outside Vegas that said 95 miles to town. I'd easily make it in well under an hour with Radar Love playing as loud as possible and the windows down all the way. There weren't any speed limits in Nevada at the time, just the 'safe and sane rule'. Apparently 120+ was OK...🤣

I saw original Shelby Cobras race at Laguna Seca several times. Amazing cars.
I met a German woman near the Abrams Building (IG Farben Building -- also known as the Poelzig Building) that lived close to the Palmengarten in Frankfurt in '90. She owned a pristine '65 Cobra blue with twin white stripes. It had been garaged for a few years since her husband had died. I talked her into washing and waxing it one summer day. The car, big meal, lots of fantastic wine and I ended up waxing something else that night.

I had a 'Stang with a Cobra kit I'd drive through the Nevada Desert to see my now wife. There was sign outside Vegas that said 95 miles to town. I'd easily make it in well under an hour with Radar Love playing as loud as possible and the windows down all the way. There weren't any speed limits in Nevada at the time, just the 'safe and sane rule'. Apparently 120+ was OK...🤣
My fastest run was in a 88 Porche 911 Turbo. Bad Kreuznach Germany to Bad Tolz, 300 miles in around 2 hours 38 mins. The owner was surprisingly quiet the whole way. I was over 150 mph several times and never once felt wiggy.

Another local mural from my latest ride. This one's at a local middle school.

P1010479.jpg

It depicts Lyman Gilmore and his 'flying machines'. This school is built on the site of the world's first commercial airfield, built by Lyman Gilmore.

Lyman Gilmore didn't just design flying machines. He also held patents to various steam engine designs and the rotary snow plow, a common tool for keeping rail road tracks clear in the snow country.
P1010480.jpg

Lyman Gilmore was a contemporary of the Wright Brothers and actually laid claim to achieving 'first flight' with his steam powered plane in May of 1902. A hanger fire in 1935 destroyed his plane and all records related to its design and flights.

Lyman Gilmore died in 1951 and is buried in Nevada City.

Students at Lyman Gilmore Middle School made THIS VIDEO about his life. It's fun, and only a few minutes long.

Back