SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

Stopped in the historic town of Auburn for a cold beverage on my way to the Tahoe rim trail for a long weekend of riding. ;)

View attachment 66890 View attachment 66891 View attachment 66893 View attachment 66892
I love the Auburn Ale House, esp their Imperial IPA
Screenshot_20200928-215220_Chrome.jpg

Known as their "Weapons Grade Ale" 🤣

View attachment 40781
[/ I paid $40 for one of these when I was 18. My buddy found one at a gas station for $40, so he bought one too. Then we found another one for $40, and bought it to use for parts on the other two. When a rod bearing went bad on mine, I found an engine up the road at a garage for $5. I could have had the tranny too for $2, but didn't need a tranny. I hoisted the engines out and back in with a block and tackle, literally, under a big apple tree.My buddy drove his from Chelan, WA to Seattle; mine went away for reasons I don't remember, so I started driving the one we'd stripped parts off, to my summer job at a lumber mill at Manson, WA. Gas, of course, was 25 cents a gallon, and when I was feeling flush I'd buy 2 gallons worth.

Some years later, when I got out of the army, I found a 4 door sedan with quite a good body for $75, but decided against it. I still have regrets.

Model A's were the most fun to drive of any car I've ever had. And surprisingly reliable. They were a great mountain car with their low gearing and incredibly torquey long stroke engine. You could do 60 mph without straining too hard, but it was hard on them, especially with the babbit bearings and unbalanced crankshaft. And I loved the sound: "chuckle chuckle chuckle, etc."

Now you can pay anywhere from $12,000 to $25,00 or more for one in nice shape.

OK, time for yet another what is it.

P1010471.jpg

Hint: Any hard rock gold mine using a stamp mill would eventually get one of these.

What is it?

Edit: Took this pic in downtown Nevada City, CA yesterday.

Last edited:
OK, time for yet another what is it.

View attachment 67015
Hint: Any hard rock gold mine using a stamp mill would eventually get one of these.

What is it?

Edit: Took this pic in downtown Nevada City, CA yesterday.
So, looks like I stumped everyone with this 'what is it'. A first!

This is an early version of a pneumaticaly operated hard rock drill that replaced the original manual process;
57082d3ef3e51.image.jpg

Hard rock mining used explosives to tunnel to the gold ore. Holes were drilled in the rock to ~30 inches deep to set the charges. A two man hand crew could set about ten charges in a shift, enough to move the tunnel forward about 3 feet. It was a noisy environment. The man holding the drill bit would signal to the 2nd man by putting his thumb on top of the drill bit. Seems risky to me...

2304.jpeg

A little hard to make out but you can see a similar drill, with a bit installed in this mine photo from the late 1800's. A 2 man drill crew could drill and set 10 times as many charges in a shift as a hand crew making the pneumatic hard rock mining drill indispensable to a profitable mining operation. Note the surveyot's transit in the foreground. Surveyors were constantly at work underground keeping the tunnels headed to and through the gold bearing veins. The local Empire Mine, one of the richest mines in the state before WWII, kept a 'model room' with up to date surveyor data represented in color coded 3D form detailing all of the tunnels and ore veins. Very impressive to visit.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

This is a modern version of a hard rock pneumatic drill for sale on eBay. You too can be a miner for just a few $$!

So, looks like I stumped everyone with this 'what is it'. A first! This is an early version of a pneumaticaly operated hard rock drill that replaced the original manual process;
View attachment 67046 Hard rock mining used explosives to tunnel to the gold ore. Holes were drilled in the rock to ~30 inches deep to set the charges. A two man hand crew could set about ten charges in a shift, enough to move the tunnel forward about 3 feet. It was a noisy environment. The man holding the drill bit would signal to the 2nd man by putting his thumb on top of the drill bit. Seems risky to me...
View attachment 67048 A little hard to make out but you can see a similar drill, with a bit installed in this mine photo from the late 1800's. A 2 man drill crew could drill and set 10 times as many charges in a shift as a hand crew making the pneumatic hard rock mining drill indispensable to a profitable mining operation. Note the surveyot's transit in the foreground. Surveyors were constantly at work underground keeping the tunnels headed to and through the gold bearing veins. The local Empire Mine, one of the richest mines in the state before WWII, kept a 'model room' with up to date surveyor data represented in color coded 3D form detailing all of the tunnels and ore veins. Very impressive to visit.
View attachment 67049 This is a modern version of a hard rock pneumatic drill for sale on eBay. You too can be a miner for just a few $$!

Very interesting... I was going to guess that it was a drill used to place the dynamite. ;)

Check out the story of Phineas Gage as an example of the hazards faced by these crews.

(this was an often-cited case in bio and psych 101 classes)

1601488999612.png

Last edited:
Can we make it a rule that posters here put in where the photo was taken? Sometimes the country is obvious, most times the specific locality is not.

Back