SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

Downtown from the seawall.
1600816680132.png

Reactions: PaD
9/11 will be with our generation as Dec 7th was with our parents. Another important event also occured on Sep 11, but this one was in 2012. On this date the U.S. Ambassador to Lybia was killed during an attack on the U.S. compound in Benghazi. The Ambassador was John Christopher Stevens, a 4th generation Native Son of the Northern Mines, our small communities here in the lower Sierras. He was 52 and was survived by his wife and 2 children. His remains were returned to his home town and interred in the local cemetery as per his family's wishes.

Ambassador Stevens was posthumously awarded the Thomas Jefferson Star for Foreign Service on May 3, 2013.
During today's ride I made it a point to walk through the 'Chris Stevens Courtyard' in downtown Grass Valley.
View attachment 65060
The Chris Stevens Courtyard was dedicated by the city of Grass Valley in NOV 2018. A plaque commemorating this fallen native son can be seen mounted on the left side brick wall.
View attachment 65059
Ambassador Stevens was born and raised in Grass Valley. His great-grandfather was a miner. His grandparents were local high school teachers. His father was an attorney and his mother a cellist.

Tim, thanks for sharing another photo submitted by Trina Laird in the Union News for Nevada County, California.

Ambassador Chris Stevens, Never Forget.

1600822440565.png

67.9m or ft 222.769. Mast height!
Caught this during a short somewhat misty evening.
1600974456582.jpeg

Tap to get a larger better pic ( better lens and closer)
2753D127-7CF4-45E0-8C95-6382750EFDDE.jpeg

67.9m or ft 222.769. Mast height!
Caught this during a short somewhat misty evening.
View attachment 66469

Tap to get a larger better pic ( better lens and closer)
View attachment 66470
Cool old buildings on your waterfront!

Cool old buildings on your waterfront!
It’s the Old Town. Several of the buildings on that waterfront, called Skeppsbron, are from 17th and 18th century.
Think the oldest building still standing in the Old Town was build during 14th century.
This is the Old Town ( pic from internet)
1600979875510.jpeg

Last edited:
Another sign re our local critters. This one's on a popular hiking/biking/equestrian trial in another local State park, the Empire Mine State Historic Park.
P1010464.jpg

Since the citizens of California voted to give the native mountain lion protected status the lions have expanded their range. They've even been spotted in downtown San Francisco! At least one lone jogger has been attacked and killed. Interestingly this sign tells you what to do when you spot a lion. This is probably a false sense of security as a survey of lion attack survivors had one thing in common; none of them saw the attack coming until the lion was on them.

When in lion country don't hike or jog alone. I was alone on my bike, probably not the smartest thing! Better yet, ride a horse. Horses hooves are amazing weapons that are self directed. All you need to do is hang on, or so I'm told!...🤣

Another sign re our local critters. This one's on a popular hiking/biking/equestrian trial in another local State park, the Empire Mine State Historic Park.
View attachment 66507
Since the citizens of California voted to give the native mountain lion protected status the lions have expanded their range. They've even been spotted in downtown San Francisco! At least one lone jogger has been attacked and killed. Interestingly this sign tells you what to do when you spot a lion. This is probably a false sense of security as a survey of lion attack survivors had one thing in common; none of them saw the attack coming until the lion was on them.

When in lion country don't hike or jog alone. I was alone on my bike, probably not the smartest thing! Better yet, ride a horse. Horses hooves are amazing weapons that are self directed. All you need to do is hang on, or so I'm told!...🤣

Yea, we have at least one mountain lion attack every year in our local open space preserve.

Time to buy a horse! ;)

1601002608479.png

View attachment 66507

They like to sneak up from behind huh? ....another good reason to use a mirror.

Another what is it. I took this pic in downtown Nevada City yesterday.

P1010468.jpg

Hint: you'd find these at nearly every hard rock mine in the Northern Sierras in the 1800's.

Back