SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

A pair of bald eagles circled overhead. Not a sound from them, but cool to see.
Yes I was thinking about that today. There are birds I sometimes see around here that I almost never hear, such as the Varied Thrush. It will take a while longer to capture those quiet ones. (-:

Here is my list of 36 bird songs / calls captured on my phone during the first four days of riding with the Merlin app: American Dipper , American Goldfinch , Barn Swallow , Bewick's Wren , Black- Capped Chickadee , Brown Creeper , Bushtit , Cedar Waxwing , Chestnut -Backed Chickadee , Common Loon , Common Nighthawk , Cooper's Hawk , Downy Woodpecker , Eastern Kingbird , European Starling , Gilded Flicker , Golden-Crowned Kinglet , Hairy Woodpecker , House Finch , House Sparrow , Merlin , Northern Fflicker , Pacific-slope Flycatcher , Purple Finch , Red Breasted Nuthatch , Red Crossbill , Sanderling , Song Sparrow , Spotted Towhee , Stellar's Jay , Western Tanager , Western Wood-Peewee , White-Crowned Sparrow , Willow Flycatcher , Yellow -Rumped Warbler , Yellow Warbler . I have omitted the usual suspects such as American Crow and Canada Goose etc PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR LISTS TO THIS THREAD!
I’ve noticed more pileated woodpeckers this summer than in previous years. Their vocalizations and loud pecking reverberate around the neighborhood.

I have ridden past this many times but today was the first time I noticed it was more than a bunch of sticks.
1627935972090.png

Approximately 550 acres are safe from logging. 1700 are possible for us to save. That leaves about 1300 acres which are already clear-cut or which have received logging permits or are included in the 5 year logging plans and are therefore not available for us to purchase the timber rights of. I'm sorry I don't have the exact figure for how many acres have been cut so far. Basically, you can't see from one end of the cuts to the other, they are so huge.

Approximately 550 acres are safe from logging. 1700 are possible for us to save. That leaves about 1300 acres which are already clear-cut or which have received logging permits or are included in the 5 year logging plans and are therefore not available for us to purchase the timber rights of. I'm sorry I don't have the exact figure for how many acres have been cut so far. Basically, you can't see from one end of the cuts to the other, they are so huge.
Good luck in your efforts!

Art at a local dog park
Reminds me of an incident when I was a high school English teacher. As every male teacher has dreaded since time began, I realized my fly was open. To distract the class, I said "Oh, look out there" (ground floor room with lawn outside), and thus brought to everyone's attention the fact that a couple of dogs were humping.

I owned one when I was about 18 or so, living in Chelan. Paid $40 for it. Mine was a 4 door. A bearing went out, so I found a donor engine at a garage up the road for $5. Could have had the transmission for $2, but didn't need a tranny. Did the engine swap under a friend's apple tree, hanging a block & tackle from one of the limbs. My buddy with the apple tree also found one at a gas station, and paid $40 for his too. Then we found another one, which we also bought for $40, intending to use it for parts. After we'd stripped needed parts off it for a while, he drove his from Chelan to Seattle. Meanwhile I sold mine, and started driving the stripped one to my summer job at a lumber mill. That one had a broken rear engine mount, so when you'd let the clutch out, the whole engine would rear up into the cab, then settle back down.
They all had terrible brakes, as Henry F. thought hydraulics were a preposterous gimmick. The rods and cams all ran in plain bearings, so when they got old and worn, you'd stomp on the brake pedal and the brake shoes would barely move. It was more reliable to just drag your feet.

Model A Fords were the MOST FUN of any car I've ever driven, bar none. With their huge torque, they were a superb vehicle for running around on the fire roads in the Chelan mountains. Everything else pales by comparison.

Last edited:
Back