Show us pictures of your cockpit!

WOW !!! You drive through Sage Brush?
F@F
I do mostly cross country trail riding, following cow/wild horse trails/game trails, sandy washes, around/thru rock steps/ledges etc, going thru sage brush (1'- 6' tall) isn't choice, you either go or stay on the 4x4 roads, there is none in the trails center,
but both sides are lined with it, the livestock/wild horses beat/knock off the small limbs, leaving the larger one hanging out in the trail.
It's these branches that will get trapped/pulled into the derailleur lower arm when going thru the sage brush, that will bite you.
I'll try to get you a photo to show you what's up...........
YMMV

i like it thats clean here is mine
Really tight. Beautiful.
Your stem is a long for City work.
I'm a tad over the front and know it makes handling sluggish.
You're set for Road bike handling w/ Mountain bike bars.

A string tied mid-point on your grips will show how close or far you are from neutral.
String centering w/ stem cap = neutral. Full 90 degree handling control.
Forward are for Track Riding - w/ long sweeping turns. 50 - 70 degree control.
Abaft it gets squirrely. BMX territory. Very fast response. Sudden loss of control. Unlimited turn radius.
A shorter stem, or more set-back bars - closer to neutral provide the sweet spot.
Mtn bike bars usually sit a bit abaft - in the danger zone.

Just my opine, for what it's worth.

Fn'F

F@F
I do mostly cross country trail riding, following cow/wild horse trails/game trails, sandy washes, around/thru rock steps/ledges etc, going thru sage brush (1'- 6' tall) isn't choice, you either go or stay on the 4x4 roads, there is none in the trails center,
but both sides are lined with it, the livestock/wild horses beat/knock off the small limbs, leaving the larger one hanging out in the trail.
It's these branches that will get trapped/pulled into the derailleur lower arm when going thru the sage brush, that will bite you.
I'll try to get you a photo to show you what's up...........
YMMV
What a cool hobby. I envy that and miss the wildlands.
I know I observe a big overgrowth in out canyons. Worst was creosote bushes in my day. Dump ticks all over you. On the bright side, be glad you didn't clip a cholla cactus.
Photos? Hell yes !!!

Fn'F

Inside of cockpit now looks like this.

IMG_3382.jpeg

You seem to have overdone that with the wrist-watch! :D
Haha. My phone doesn’t have an “always on” feature. I guess I can add a digital clock. Wire it from my buck converter to run off the bike, but I kind of like the watch. I’ve had this watch for 15 years. I know it’s very weather resistant. Maybe, when I upgrade to a phone that has an “always on” feature, I can get rid of this watch and add something else. I’d like to have my coulomb meter somewhere there. I had that meter on another project and really liked the battery info it gave me.

Haha. My phone doesn’t have an “always on” feature. I guess I can add a digital clock. Wire it from my buck converter to run off the bike, but I kind of like the watch. I’ve had this watch for 15 years. I know it’s very weather resistant. Maybe, when I upgrade to a phone that has an “always on” feature, I can get rid of this watch and add something else. I’d like to have my coulomb meter somewhere there. I had that meter on another project and really liked the battery info it gave me.
My heavy e-bike has the clock on the display, and my lightweight one displays the time of the day on my Wahoo computer :)

Why don't you wear the watch on your wrist? Too heavy I presume?

My heavy e-bike has the clock on the display, and my lightweight one displays the time of the day on my Wahoo computer :)

Why don't you wear the watch on your wrist? Too heavy I presume?
Lol. I’m no weight weenie. Oddly enough, I wear a smart watch. I let it measure my heart rate and track my ride. Review the info later.

I usually wear long sleeves while riding and it covers my watch. The long sleeves give my good sun protection and the jacket is highlighter yellow. I really don’t like to fiddle while riding so I have this analog watch that I can glance at when I’m curious about the time. I also don’t want to take my hands off the grips, if I can avoid it. I bike along traffic and need to focus on that instead of the time. :)

.., but I kind of like the watch. I’ve had this watch for 15 years. I know it’s very weather resistant.

I like my watch too.
I bought it just for my e-bike..

20230901_170234.jpg

It goes great with my analog compass,..

20230816_105705.jpg

And my yet to be installed analog voltmeter,..

20230901_171300.jpg

I have a Watt meter to install too, but it's digital,..

20230901_171342.jpg

I think that I might smash the display and buy one of these to replace it?,..

Screenshot_20230901-172700_AliExpress.jpg

Last edited:
Oops,
Not that particular VU meter.
I need 20 Amps no 20 milliamps,..

Screenshot_20230901-174409_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I don't want to be double shunting the meter,..

Do you know what that means Stephan, or does mission control take care of that type of stuff for you ??

or does mission control take care of that type of stuff for you ??
Yes. Mission Control can display the instant voltage and the current (amperage) during the ride. In the times I was carrying my smartphone on the bars, I looked those parameters up to determine the actual Max Motor Power (electrical) for the specific e-bike/motor, and that was 666 W for my Vado 6.0 (electrical power). Later, I discovered I could get an Excel history file for a recorded ride using the BLEvo app, too, and that file gave V, A, and W at any single moment of the ride (I could have those parameters on the BLEvo dashboard if I wanted). You can -- for instance -- get the actual charge of the battery expressed in Wh as well.

However, the information a normal rider needs is the accurate e-bike battery % (including a Range Extender if applicable), and Specialized e-bikes report that parameter very accurately. For instance, you can see the moment when the SL Range Extender or SL Main Battery goes down below the 5%, the battery is cut off for safety, and the number turns to 0%.

Do you know what that means Stephan
I hold the degree of MSc :)

Here is my “old school” take on it on my old analog Dekra shaft drive.

I didn't know that there was such a thing!??
That's Cool 😎 !!

Why don't they make an ebike with a driveshaft and internal gearing?
Chains and belts can't compete with a driveshaft.

I didn't know that there was such a thing!??
That's Cool 😎 !!

Why don't they make an ebike with a driveshaft and internal gearing?
Chains and belts can't compete with a driveshaft.
Agreed. I think it would not be cost effective. I want to get an 8 speed IGH and lace into this at some point, but for now only a 3 speed.

Chains and belts are exposed to the elements and you too as a rider at times.
A driveshaft is sealed.

They could make an internally geared 3-speed crank so that you get a 9-speed.

My driveshaft is “almost sealed”. There is a plastic cover that is a dust shield that gets removed when the rear wheel is taken off. They specified with this bike to not ride in sand for fear of sand in the driveline.

Attachments

• IMG_2809.jpeg
    IMG_2809.jpeg
    522.2 KB · Views: 102
Back