Show us pictures of your cockpit!

Taking into account Serial 1 position their bike to be in $4k+ category, this is reasonable implementation to expect. Looks cool, however will make the repairs/replacement more difficult.
Not if you have any technical/mechanical aptitude. What do you feel will require repairs/replacement? The brake lines are quite well protected. I have 4 bikes with hydraulic brakes and have never needed to remove/replace a brake line. As for the display, I can remove and replace it less than a 1/2 hour…..though it seems well made and don’t expect any issues. Again, cabling nicely hidden/protected!

repairs/replacement more difficult
That is so true. That is also why on my daily riders I like simple stuff. After I repair a clunky hub-drive bike I will be back to my own project. It will be a one wire, no housings, bike. And that one wire will be thru-frame, emerging from the down tube at the head tube and to the HB for the thumb-sized display. The wire will be dove gray, almost invisible against the frame. It is a single speed with a coaster brake. It is not even going to look electric to most people. I got it for free yesterday and will rent it to tourists for $50 for two hours so they can cruise beer gardens on the flats.

Attachments

• DSCF0998[1].JPG
    DSCF0998[1].JPG
    634.6 KB · Views: 116
Not if you have any technical/mechanical aptitude.
Well, if you are handy this won't stop you for sure! However internal cable/lines routing can make a process pretty difficult. I did replace Shimano brakes with Magura on my C380+ and wiring new brake line though the frame to the rear wheel was an multi-hour exercise, which required partial bike disassembly - and in my case cables are not going though the handlebar!

Well designed cable/hose routing and management definitely helps, and Harley-Davidson is quite well versed at this! While Serial 1 was spun off from the mothership, these bikes were designed/engineered in-house at H-D. I’ve seen the internal cable/hose routing and management of some high end eBike manufacturers, and they should be embarrassed in my opinion. It’s like cable/hose management was at best an afterthought.

Last edited:
Yikes! You should really flush cut those zip ties! They will cut you like a knife if you don’t.
These flush cutters work very well.

View attachment 158287

Thanks for the reminder.
I just redid my cockpit yesterday and I left a tab on the zip-ties so I've got something to grab if I need to tighten them up.
I didn't want to crank the snot out of them unless I had to. 😂
They're just kinda snug now but nothing slipped, so I'll trim them.

20230716_182108.jpg

Is the a Jones H-bar? What grips? Thx
I'm using butted Jones loop-bars and love them. Lighter than my Molokos and great real-estate.
Needed a bit longer stem for better control. Grip angle is not be for everyone.
I'm somewhat of a weight weenie convert, like a minimalist cockpit, my bottle holders right where I can grab them and pristine wiring. Don't even carry that light clip in the photos. The sum of improvements shaved 2.5lbs of the bike's delivered weight.
For sure, comfort and utility come 1st. My nod to that is the Domino Daytona grip on the throttle side and Buffalo-hide wrapping on the bars where I actually grab them.
The bottle-bag has a tool kit and four 3000aAh Samsung18650's in a case to recharge devices like the phone, lights or the Archers batteries. I plan a USB C port (and dump that 200gm battery pack).

20230414_140923[1].jpg
20230414_141244[1].jpg

This phone (Garmin) holder, to extend from the stem-cap, will soon be installed. I really want that type cap in ti, but not happening. It'll put a phone right where I want it.
20230716_172311[1].jpg

Tried a lot of parts (extenders), a whole box full and none are 100% right.
Even that GUB forces me to use their cap, but it's the best phone position placement and made of alloy.

Jones bars come in handy. Yesterday I tied a bag of about 8lbs of groceries to mine with a plastic veggie bag. Needed the strap for the 12 Pack on the rack. No detectable handling problems for the 4 mile cruise.
Some of these bikes are really outstanding, but I'm somewhat disappointed that no-one in this thread's running a heads up display or gaming laptop.

Old good(?) SmartphoneHub. Trek probably bought millions of them from Bosch - I don't think I saw any of them on non-Trek ebikes ever :)
I don't really get the negativity on the Smartphone hub and I'm a IT guy. The app is great and I like having my iPhone as the display. The only issue is that the clamp was designed with smaller phones in mind. It's at its maximum holding my iPhone 14 Pro Max. You just have to be careful putting it firmly in there. I took a spill on the bike already and the phone stayed put.

I don't really get the negativity on the Smartphone hub and I'm a IT guy. The app is great and I like having my iPhone as the display. The only issue is that the clamp was designed with smaller phones in mind. It's at its maximum holding my iPhone 14 Pro Max. You just have to be careful putting it firmly in there. I took a spill on the bike already and the phone stayed put.
I used have it on my Gazelle before I upgraded to Nyon - it is not bad at all, especially if you can ignore minor issues here and there. However current level of software and hardware far from being perfect and application is long abandoned by Bosch. They continue this concept in Smart System, it is called SmartGrip there.

(With a titanium bike) in a stronger, lighter, faster scheme, replacing (most) SS hardware/ clamps/ bolts/ nuts/ washers with ti fits. It well exceeds strong enough, is 40% lighter, so certainly faster.
Before I upgrade, I stop and ask myself: is it stronger, lighter, faster?
Failing that's not an improvement. It's compromise for comfort/ function - or an art statement.
If alloy is strong enough (like butted aluminum) and lighter than ti? It fits.
That's why I skipped ti Jones bars. Not stronger enough to make any difference from alloy and heavier, so slower.
They're not an improvement.
Sometimes composite materials are ideal for a previously metal parts. Not just adequate, a lot better.
Gone full circle, I love plastic? Yes - like replacing the fork's SS fender stay 'bands' with plastic clamps.
20230721_153019[1].jpg

Building that way, I'm miserly and greedy with giving weight back.
The first question is how much does it weigh?
The GUB alloy stem, bolt + phone holder weigh 60.5gms and replaces a 25gm ti Head-Cap, so it adds 35.5gms total. It's not what it looks like. That device is not manufactured. The extender is a Fransch , the base a GUB.

Using a SRAM plastic reach-around type (short and long) that attaches to my bars - vs the alloy GUB - would save 15gms, but it's for a road bike, riding in a more hunched over position ...
20230721_104137[1].jpg
20230721_105736[1].jpg

... and, the angle inhibits the slant and the phone hits the stem . Lastly, the phone placement is right in the display's field.
The Landscape only, alloy Cyclingbox has a sleek look (and that's over 35mm where I've mounted).
It weighs 114.5gms, has a problem with my Galaxy Active. A pain to get in or out of the holder (you need 3 hands). Also, it cannot be adjusted for side to side angle. The Loop Mount Twist is a fully rotatable, higher-grade of that design that came from Kickstarter. It opens easier and wider and is 112gm (I salute them. They state the weight); it's inobtrusive and can mount closer in than a Cyclingbox (where bars have straighter angles).

20230427_203636[1].jpg

A really nice holder is the Motowolf Juiced sells w/ contact charging - I see them for $23 on eBay
Again, it depends on personal weight tolerance. The info is hidden but as I recollect the Moto was like 250gms + the wire and no portrait mode. These are sold for Motorcycles on Aliexpress.
Fed up with mounts off center on bars, weight on one side, so bar clamp types I tried were and are rejected.
Silicone type cradles work well, but some block the camera. I'm not yet done trying cradles.
I could epoxy (my God, people are saying use - Cyanoacrylate - Superglue !!!) a Garmin fitting on my phone.
Right. To use the few times a year when I need navigation?

Off for an evening ride !!!

I want to mount my analog voltmeter to the riser part of my handlebars but I need double pivoting clamps.

20230722_010828.jpg

I bought a 2" clamp meant to hold a fuel filter to use as a housing, and AliExpress had a huge summer sale so I bought a whole bunch of camera mounts and bar clamps hoping that something would work.

20230722_010321.jpg

Only the three on the right had articulated joints. They are all plastic and clunky, and the one is a mirror with no adjustments for the tension on the joint.

I checked out AliExpress again and found some articiculated brackets,..

Screenshot_20230721-235733_AliExpress.jpg
Screenshot_20230721-235853_AliExpress.jpg
Screenshot_20230722-000030_AliExpress.jpg

I went with this one because it's sleek and simple.

Screenshot_20230722-000312_AliExpress.jpg

I should be able to get something figured out to mount my voltmeter now.

@Fast n' Furious
I'm curious about your mirror.
Does your mirror fold in toward your handlebars without tools, so you can get your bike through a doorway?
Can it also stick straight out from the handlebar end?

I'm having trouble seeing past my shoulders especially when I'm riding no hands.

Can you tell me what it is?
I think that I want a couple. I assume that the same mirror works on both the left and right side?

Screenshot_20230722-033959_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20230722-034030_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I want to mount my analog voltmeter to the riser part of my handlebars but I need double pivoting clamps.

View attachment 158707

I bought a 2" clamp meant to hold a fuel filter to use as a housing, and AliExpress had a huge summer sale so I bought a whole bunch of camera mounts and bar clamps hoping that something would work.

View attachment 158708

Only the three on the right had articulated joints. They are all plastic and clunky, and the one is a mirror with no adjustments for the tension on the joint.

I checked out AliExpress again and found some articiculated brackets,..

View attachment 158711View attachment 158712View attachment 158713

I went with this one because it's sleek and simple.

View attachment 158714

I should be able to get something figured out to mount my voltmeter now.
What about a mount like this

IMG_3097.png

It’s got a sticker that you put on the back of your phone. Just stick that to your analog meter. I was just looking for something to mount a coulomb meter…..

This one

IMG_3098.jpeg

A sticker on the back may work. I’ll have to compare measurements. I wonder if there are other mounts that have a similar application.

What about a mount like this

View attachment 158733
Looks like some Chinese QuadLock ripoff. QuadLock is not cheap, but definitely worth the money. Using it for 1+ year after random noname mount from Amazon failed during the ridr and kill the screen on my phone (and was few inches from killing my phone alltogether) and have zero issues at all. I am using their case (available for some phone models) and it just works!

Back