6zfshdb
Well-Known Member
- Region
- USA
- City
- Northeast Pennsylvania
I'm curious, do you west coast bikers near the ocean have trouble with salt air corrosion on the exposed metal parts of your bikes?
I grew up around salt water on the east coast and salt air took it's toll on most exposed metal. It was a constant problem aboard my boat on brass, chrome and even some stainless steel alloys with prolonged exposure. If I left my old Schwinn fixie outdoors, rust would form on some parts after just days. Riding near the surf on wet sand would cause major issues unless the bike was hosed off thoroughly with fresh water afterward. The problem didn't exist just a few miles inland, away from the water. I don't know why it would be any different on the west coast.
I realize most bikes today use Stainless steel, but there are many flavors, and some are more corrosion resistant than others. Do you take any particular precautions?
I grew up around salt water on the east coast and salt air took it's toll on most exposed metal. It was a constant problem aboard my boat on brass, chrome and even some stainless steel alloys with prolonged exposure. If I left my old Schwinn fixie outdoors, rust would form on some parts after just days. Riding near the surf on wet sand would cause major issues unless the bike was hosed off thoroughly with fresh water afterward. The problem didn't exist just a few miles inland, away from the water. I don't know why it would be any different on the west coast.
I realize most bikes today use Stainless steel, but there are many flavors, and some are more corrosion resistant than others. Do you take any particular precautions?