Show us pictures of where you ride your ebikes!

Sport was a golf cart today at the course. Topeak bag carries my Driver, 7iron and SW. SW airline 737 on final approach into PSP. Musta been 75 degrees Fahrenheit here today...

Attachments

• Sport on the links.jpg
    Sport on the links.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 94
Sport was a golf cart today at the course. Topeak bag carries my Driver, 7iron and SW. SW airline 737 on final approach into PSP. Musta been 75 degrees Fahrenheit here today...
Good time of year to be in Palm Springs. Sport looks right at home on the fairway. Have you seen other ebikes on the course?

I see lots of (mostly unpedaled) fat-tire ebikes carrying surfboards on side racks all along the coast here. Seems like you could do something similar for golf clubs.

Good time of year to be in Palm Springs. Sport looks right at home on the fairway. Have you seen other ebikes on the course?

I see lots of (mostly unpedaled) fat-tire ebikes carrying surfboards on side racks all along the coast here. Seems like you could do something similar for golf clubs.
Yeah, they make golf racks that mount on the side of ebikes and even swing out and act as a kickstand. My bag is pretty heavy and I like using a traditional golf cart. I haven't seen one in action around here where I golf...

Heavy guys and bags on narrower tires than I would have expected -- looks like a recipe for course damage, especially when wet.

I just finished this bike. Was about a 4 month project. I first got it home on Monday, riding on Tuesday and I already have about 100 miles on it. 26 or so today running an errand to a store in Marina. About the same on a Costco run Tuesday night.

Pretty nice when this is the road taken to get somewhere, and you aren't really going out of your way to run down it. I was actually just doing a quick run with no destination. Checking the light focus on the front fork headlights I just installed, and the effect of the LED strips. Just missed the sunset. The route back up to the top of the hill was the steep way to check the gearing.
20230208_174433.jpg

This was actually the night before the one above. No fork headlights yet. My panniers are in the shopping cart at far right and are going into Costco with me. Fully loaded on the ride home in the dark. Here in the Monterey Bay Area though, the ride is almost entirely on a shared-use path so no cars to worry about.
20230207_174131.jpg

This was today. Along the same path I took to get to Costco although this is a bit past it. I needed to head to Best Buy to get some computer parts. The sand is a little darker near the ground because the city workers here in Sand City (thats really the town's name) came thru and brushed the sand off the trail that morning. Just a bit behind this spot, it was a good 2-3 inches deep all across the path for probably 50 yards, which explains why I have knobby tires on this bike. Wind happens all the time and drifting sand piles up.

20230210_122928.jpg

On the way back from the store today, I finally had a chance to pull over in the daylight and clean the chain, which was still coated in new-chain cosmolene or whatever preservative SRAM puts on it in the box. I always try to never do routine maintenance at home. Prefer a park or somewhere else outdoors. Here on the coast I can do a whole lot better than a park bench though.

20230210_130640.jpg

I just finished this bike. Was about a 4 month project. I first got it home on Monday, riding on Tuesday and I already have about 100 miles on it. 26 or so today running an errand to a store in Marina. About the same on a Costco run Tuesday night.

Pretty nice when this is the road taken to get somewhere, and you aren't really going out of your way to run down it. I was actually just doing a quick run with no destination. Checking the light focus on the front fork headlights I just installed, and the effect of the LED strips. Just missed the sunset. The route back up to the top of the hill was the steep way to check the gearing.
View attachment 146833

This was actually the night before the one above. No fork headlights yet. My panniers are in the shopping cart at far right and are going into Costco with me. Fully loaded on the ride home in the dark. Here in the Monterey Bay Area though, the ride is almost entirely on a shared-use path so no cars to worry about.
View attachment 146832

This was today. Along the same path I took to get to Costco although this is a bit past it. I needed to head to Best Buy to get some computer parts. The sand is a little darker near the ground because the city workers here in Sand City (thats really the town's name) came thru and brushed the sand off the trail that morning. Just a bit behind this spot, it was a good 2-3 inches deep all across the path for probably 50 yards, which explains why I have knobby tires on this bike. Wind happens all the time and drifting sand piles up.

View attachment 146835

On the way back from the store today, I finally had a chance to pull over in the daylight and clean the chain, which was still coated in new-chain cosmolene or whatever preservative SRAM puts on it in the box. I always try to never do routine maintenance at home. Prefer a park or somewhere else outdoors. Here on the coast I can do a whole lot better than a park bench though.

View attachment 146836
Gorgeous bike Matt, how much does it weigh, and what is the cargo capacity?

View attachment 146833

View attachment 146832

View attachment 146835

View attachment 146836
Sweet Build! My wife and I rode our first ebikes (rented) in Monterey in Sept 2020. A beautiful place to ride. That ride tipped the scales and I immediately bought two ebikes. Then built a DIY, then bought a Carbon Fiber E-mtb. A very inspirational area to ride.

View attachment 146833

View attachment 146832

View attachment 146835

View attachment 146836
Very impressive build.

Spent a lot of time in Monterey, Pacific Grove, and Carmel when we lived in the Bay Area. The scenery's hard to beat. How's the bike infrastructure nowadays?

Pictures of bridgeway under construction to connect with Pearl Harbor Bike Path . Running along petroleum pipe line.
I've been following the progress of construction.
We are going to sink the old rusted bridge in the stream.
Usual ride on Saturday and came home to my garage and nephew has another car to flip Air Conditioning fix.

Attachments

• 20230211_105413.jpg
    20230211_105413.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 20230211_121222.jpg
    20230211_121222.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230211_110119.jpg
    20230211_110119.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 20230211_132225.jpg
    20230211_132225.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 20230211_105402.jpg
    20230211_105402.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 96
OK... Just got back from my first ride in 3 weeks!
Weather and opportunity here have been dismal indeed.
Yeah it was only 35kms but that is what I could pull off with a 30% chance of rain in the forecast and 6C temps when I left. So... off to the greenway and Tynehead Park with the added Northeast section/loop.

This incline is difficult to capture with a picture. It peaks at around 14/15% grade...

Alas poor BMX... we knew him well...

The heated gloves were needed on the way back.

Gorgeous bike Matt, how much does it weigh, and what is the cargo capacity?
In terms of weight I literally have no idea :D Without motor and battery its around 39 lbs, but then you add the floor, the side panels, motor and 35ah battery (in a hidden battery box under the floor) and you are easily talking 60-70 lbs. This one is a fair bit lighter than my first one, given its cargo area has a dibond floor vs. the very heavy factory version, and I used a carbon fiber 1-pc steering tube rather than the factory steel tube with a Satori Easy Up for varying the handlebar height, which I learned on my first Bullitt I just used once and left it forever at that height. That monstrous bike lock you see in the Costco pic is a permanent resident in the cargo area so there's another 14 or so pounds.

As to total capacity, its rather a lot, but I have to use a pic of my other Bullitt to better illustrate that as I don't have pics of it in full cargo mode. What you see below is a 27 gallon Costco bin, whose lid is substantial enough to be able to net down more stuff on top (I try and limit it to the lighter things in a shopping load). The hardshell panniers are a DIY project made from 7-gallon Rubbermaid trash cans - one inside the other on each side for sturdiness and the ability to just pull the inner can and walk into the house with it to unload. On paper that gives me just over 100 liters of cargo area not counting the net area on top of the bin. With this setup I can do a full Costco cart.

Total system weight with rider is rated for about 180 kg/400 lbs but I have had it well over that. Probably 450-500 lbs. Interestingly bikes like this do not suffer a stability penalty loaded thanks to the low centered nature of the cargo. The only way you know its loaded is when you squeeze the brakes. Then you remember the laws of physics have not been repealed :D The manufacturer has noted the frame is capable of much higher loads than its rating, and the limiting factor is the wheels. I've done a really serious wheel build on both of these suckers and also use oversized tires.

20221231_153350.jpg

BTW on the green bike, the battery box is not so hidden ... I bought that box and it was best-of-breed at the time. I DIY'd a much better solution you have to get down and look under the bike to see, that also holds the front motor controller and a weather proof onboard charger.

Very impressive build.

Spent a lot of time in Monterey, Pacific Grove, and Carmel when we lived in the Bay Area. The scenery's hard to beat. How's the bike infrastructure nowadays?
It is largely unchanged in the last couple of decades. Not sure when you were here. The Pacific Coast Trail is essentially a bike freeway between Pacific Grove to as far as the outlet center in Marina. As long as its not warm here, or a tourist weekend, you can run on many city streets and be able to safely intermingle with traffic since all of the speed limits are in the ballpark of 25mph, so no high closing rates. But the paved 2-lane trail is essentially the main safe backbone for travel. I got here just over a week ago and I haven't moved the car an inch out of the driveway, but I've put over 100 miles on the bike.

When it warms up, and the Surrey bikes are getting rented again and tourists are wandering aimlessly on that same path with earbuds in... then I'll need a lot more patience.

Not much to do but hit the trails again and again…yada yada. :rolleyes: Until the big thaw happens, I’ll keep at it to pass time. On the upside, no insulated winter mitts required on today's ride.

GH010624 - frame at 4m25s.jpg

GH010624 - frame at 3m40s.jpg

At least I’m in good company. 👍
GH010624 - frame at 1m10s.jpg

Ginormous ice puddle near the base of this tree on my way home.
GP__0626.JPG

...and this stretch close to a bridge overpass.

IMG_20230211_1138270.jpg

Here’s footage from yesterday’s ride at Riverbend. It’s been almost a month since I rode The Ring and my timing couldn’t have been more fortuitous as the sweeping XC runs were to be groomed today which would have made the snow too soft to ride on.

Back