Show us pictures of where you ride your ebikes!

Post race ride around the track. Carolina Motorsports Park, Kershaw SC

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_192515.jpg
    IMG_20190914_192515.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 343
The bike does well on gravelly sandy roads. Hmmmm. This was a between the storms run the dog until her heart bursts ride. It's also hunting season so it is best to stay out of the woods for a bit. This is the suburbs of Omak, WA.

Attachments

• DSC00867.JPG
    DSC00867.JPG
    766.7 KB · Views: 348
Going by the forecast today I wasn't expecting to get a ride but lady luck was on my side as the rain finally abated and a very welcome sun peeked through the clouds! I had another look at 2 different forecasts which were conflicting so I took a chance and I was rewarded with a completely dry ride :D When I say completely dry I mean no rain as I had to work my way through many flooded roads, more than once my feet got very wet ;) I was just happy to get out so wet feet weren't going to spoil my day, time constraints meant I only had time for 40 miles today and it was a very enjoyable 40 miles indeed :D I passed 6,000 miles on my Giant today, now 6,005 and it still rides like new :)

Attachments

• elevation_profile70.jpg
    elevation_profile70.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 340
  • 41174527.png
    41174527.png
    387.2 KB · Views: 342
  • 20191019_144331.jpg
    20191019_144331.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 335
  • 20191019_144400.jpg
    20191019_144400.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 338
  • 20191019_150642.jpg
    20191019_150642.jpg
    862.4 KB · Views: 355
  • 20191019_150652.jpg
    20191019_150652.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 337
  • 20191019_150702.jpg
    20191019_150702.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 328
  • 20191019_151310.jpg
    20191019_151310.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 340
  • 20191019_153710.jpg
    20191019_153710.jpg
    969.4 KB · Views: 302
  • 20191019_153718.jpg
    20191019_153718.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 314
  • 20191019_155804.jpg
    20191019_155804.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 339
  • 20191019_155816.jpg
    20191019_155816.jpg
    764 KB · Views: 320
  • 20191019_155835.jpg
    20191019_155835.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 349
  • 20191019_162300.jpg
    20191019_162300.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 335
  • 20191019_162305.jpg
    20191019_162305.jpg
    687.9 KB · Views: 339
  • 20191019_162324.jpg
    20191019_162324.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 325
  • 20191019_162336.jpg
    20191019_162336.jpg
    677.8 KB · Views: 327
  • 20191019_162338.jpg
    20191019_162338.jpg
    711.2 KB · Views: 339
Going by the forecast today I wasn't expecting to get a ride but lady luck was on my side as the rain finally abated and a very welcome sun peeked through the clouds! I had another look at 2 different forecasts which were conflicting so I took a chance and I was rewarded with a completely dry ride :D When I say completely dry I mean no rain as I had to work my way through many flooded roads, more than once my feet got very wet ;) I was just happy to get out so wet feet weren't going to spoil my day, time constraints meant I only had time for 40 miles today and it was a very enjoyable 40 miles indeed :D I passed 6,000 miles on my Giant today, now 6,005 and it still rides like new :)
Rubbing in the rain are You? My pastures are nothing but dirt and manure (Central VA)

It was supposed to rain this morning starting at about sunrise. Someone forgot to give that memo to the rain gods who arrived, like annoying, unwanted relatives, far too early, and in the dark. So, no fun with the bike this morning. But here is yesterday's expanded ride story:

It was cold at sunrise, right at freezing, and not much better when I set off at 10:30am. Earlier that morning we had attended a Cars and Coffee an hour away by car. We met son there and had a great time looking at the cars. Once back home hubby caught up on his missed sleep while on the couch watching This Old House. Meanwhile I slipped away with sights set on a nice 30 mile relaxing bike ride around the countryside.

About 4 miles down the road I passed a beautiful estate, Newstead Farm (founded 1936), that has a unique spot in Thoroughbred racing history - it was the home, and now the burial place, of Genuine Risk - the second of only three mares to win the Kentucky Derby. The first mare to ever win the Derby was Regret in 1915. Racing fans had to wait 65 years for another mare to win the prestigious race, and that happened in 1980 with the chestnut daughter of Exclusive Native (who was also the sire the Triple Crown winner Affirmed). Although foaled in Kentucky, Genuine Risk spent her youth in Northern Virginia at Newstead, and after her Derby win, as well as coming in second at the Belmont and Preakness, she was retired to broodmare duties. First bred to Secretariat, her foal would have made history as being the first ever from two Derby winners. Sadly, Mother Nature had other plans and the foal was stillborn. 17 years of future breedings only resulted in two live foals, neither of which ever raced. Genuine Risk died in 2008 at age 31 and I remember years ago riding my horse through the property, shortly after her death, to visit her grave, proudly placed near the manor house so that all who visited would be able to pay homage to the great mare.

A bicycle sadly, hasn't the prestige or panache or acceptance to gain entry to these old private estates like a ridden horse would, so I had to settle for a photo of my two wheeled steed outside the estate gates.

Then I headed off to continue my ride, my knees still cold, the roads still open and inviting as I passed by mile after mile of groomed fields with grazing horses or cattle, quiet woodlands, and beautiful houses set way back in the distance.

At about 25 miles I was overtaken by not another bicycle, but rather that unique euphoria that settles in when you, your bike, and the roads are in sync, and somehow ...somehow...you just want to keep riding and not stop. Every other road beckons, every pedal stroke seems almost effortless, your body feels good, perhaps even better, even as the miles roll on, and your mind just starts to whisper "Why stop? Why go back? This feels so good. Let's keep on going". And you seriously contemplate extending your distance a bit further and not quite returning home...not just yet.

I could point the accusing finger of blame at my bike as the dastardly culprit in the whisper campaign as it tends to sneak in seductive suggestions all the time. Today it ramped up its efforts, putting the moves on me pretty hard to do another 10 to 15 miles (it would be soooo much fun (it whispered) and you feel great, legs strong, and look at all these lovely roads we can explore), so it was with great reluctance that I finally said "no, it's time to head home. We need to see if hubby has woken up yet". (Note: he had, and also had mowed the back pasture while I was gone. Well done, honey).

A pretty day, a lovely 32 mile ride on both paved and gravel roads, a visit down the annals of Thoroughbred history, and still lots more roads to explore...later.

Maybe by then the trees will realize it is well past time to start dressing for Fall.

Last edited:
Enjoyed some wonderful fall foliage rides this weekend as the reds and yellows begin to fade.

IMG_3533.jpg

I recently noticed this pond on a map of the Natchaug Forest and went looking. I've biked by the road leading to it many times but never noticed it.

IMG_3531.jpg

The Still River in Eastford, Connecticut

IMG_3545.jpg

Marji enjoying the sun on the porch of Coriander. A wonderful little lunch and coffee spot in Eastford.

At about 25 miles I was overtaken by not another bicycle, but rather that unique euphoria that settles in when you, your bike, and the roads are in sync, and somehow ...somehow...you just want to keep riding and not stop. Every other road beckons, every pedal stroke seems almost effortless, your body feels good, perhaps even better, even as the miles roll on, and your mind just starts to whisper "Why stop? Why go back? This feels so good. Let's keep on going". And you seriously contemplate extending your distance a bit further and not quite returning home...not just yet.
I know this feeling well. This is a perfect description. Thank you for putting it into words.

Trees in N. Illinois are going to lose their leaves before they change color, but the prairie is looking nice. We've been riding the local bike path about 10 minutes away from the house.. Just a a lot of work to pack the bikes and drive several hours to the big name paths in Illinois, such as they are..

PA210032.jpg
P1160703.jpg
P1160746.jpg

The Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia as seen from one of our local historic gravel roads in western Loudoun County. They look distant in this shot but in actuality are only 1 mile away as the crow flies. The view looking south towards the start of Shenandoah National Park (you can see the beginning rise in elevation about 30 miles away.)

I was trying out my new Kenekt suspension seat post with a 25.5 mile ride along our local network of gravel roads when I stopped to snap this pic. The majority of trees are in the process of still deciding whether to dress for autumn...or not.
IMG_20191023_112927543_HDR-756x1008.jpg

Stopped along the ride to snap this pic (see below) of the driveway at Llangollen estate - 1 mile long from the road to the manor house - which sits at the foot of the Blue Ridge. In the 1930s this estate was owned by John Hay ("Jock") Whitney purchased as a gift to his new bride Mary Elizabeth ("Liz") Altemus. Jock was (among many other things, including US Ambassador to the UK) a major investor and partner, as well as good friend, of Hollywood movie director/producer David O. Selznick ("Gone With The Wind"). Reportedly, while one day visiting Jock and Liz at their Llangollen estate, Selznick was inspired to use the Llangollen driveway as the background for Ashley's homecoming scene after the war. Apparently, Liz also was given a screen test for the part of Scarlet O'Hara, but that was probably just a perfunctory nod to the investor friendship since Selznick was seriously only interested in obtaining a big Hollywood star for the part.

You do need to zoom in catch a glimpse of the manor house, or just check out Wikipedia for the estate, John Hay Whitney, and Liz Altemus Whitney Pearson Lunn Tippett. (Yup, she was married 4 times. Divorced/died/divorced. Her 4th husband outlived her)

IMG_20191019_114837529_HDR-756x1008.jpg

Last edited:
The Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia ...
Very nice! I grew up in the little town of Bluemont. In a week and a half I’ll be heading out to Rappahannock County for the day, for their annual RAAC artist tour… It’s such beautiful countryside out that way!

Western Loudoun really is beautiful thanks to the historic, deeply entrenched, and deeply rural conservation ideals of the multiple area foxhunts. And the gravel roads are second to none. We've lived in Unison for 32 years, and all that time I've ridden my horses, and driven my pair, on the very peaceful gravel roads. (Pic below is me driving my Welsh pair with a neighbor on the back of the carriage - photo made the back cover of the Loudoun magazine years ago). Right now I'm on the front cover of The Piemont Virginian magazine with one half of my pair heading down a gravel road, the photo taken last year by a photographer who also organized a gravel road bike ride out in our area this September (The Tour de Conservation Easement in Upperville) to help preserve the roads. The cyclists in the event also got a ride-through tour of this same private estate "Ayrshire" for a first time ever.) Nice that I now have a bike I can ride on the gravel roads as well as the ponies. 😁

PhotoPictureResizer_190929_193221427_crop_2640x3349.jpg

And yes, Rappahannock County is gorgeous countryside as well. Will have to look up the RC artist tour! Sounds like a fun outing that we'd love to do, too.

Last edited:
@PDXzap - That's my "off side" [right side of the pole] half of my Welsh pony pair, Benlea Liberty. A true sweetheart of a mare [now 19], an absolute doll who knows her job to perfection. I've had her ever since she was a weanling. And her brother as well who is the "near side" (left) of the pair.

The funny thing is...I didn't want to do the photo shoot. Said no, ponies aren't shod, haven't been driven in a while, not clipped so look shaggy, blah blah blah, but the photographer and hubby were really keen to do it and basically begged me. Promised the shoot would be really quick, it would be great, yadda yadda. They finally wore me down and I said OK, but it will be a single, not a pair, and didn't want to go far on the road. They said OK and were thrilled.

Got dressed up, selected a hat (I have a LARGE collection of driving hats), put boots on my mare and drove her 4 miles on the gravel roads straight from our farm while the photographer leapfrogged in front of me, setting up shots. He sent me the best of the proofs later...and they are stunning. Truly gorgeous shots. (He was a White House photographer during the Clinten and Obama years) Super nice guy and an avid cyclist.

So these photos (which were taken in the fall of 2018) are now with API as some of their stock photos.

And this is my third magazine cover in 40 years, all of which were driving photos. So funny. Now I need a cycling cover before I'm too decrepit to turn the pedals!!:eek::p

Oh, and PS - the carriage is a single pony wagonette trap, circa 1890. Drivers seat faces forward, two seats in the back facing one another, and a back door and step to get in. Body and wheels are original. Repainted and re-pinstriped about 15 or so years ago. About the time this carriage was made (in New York), the safety bicycle had been introduced to the American public. I'll bet even money that this carriage had been passed on the road by the new fangled safety bicycle back in the distant past when our grandparents were just little kids. And that little carriage is still roadworthy today 130 years later. It just requires a new "1 horsepower motor" from time to time to stay in use.

Last edited:
Back