Show us pictures of where you ride your ebikes!

1543349823828.png

Nothing exotic...yet.

Calgary Canada. Overlooking the Bow River and to the west, the Rocky Mountains (Canmore, Banff that a way)
1543375347103.png

Calgary Canada from the NW looking South to Downtown, July 8. (Calgary Tower, Encana, PetroCan buildings, etc)
1543375226725.png

Love the tunnel bypass sign. Is it too spooky in there for some people? :D

The Pinkerton Tunnel is only 850' long. Enough light enters from each end so flashlights aren't necessary. Unless you're claustrophobic, it isn't that spooky.

When the Great Allegheny Passage trail was built in 1999 on the right of way of the defunct Western Maryland Railway, the old Pinkerton Tunnel had deteriorated to the point it was not deemed safe for bicyclists. The GAP trail conservancy, who built and maintains the trail, did not have the money to rehab the tunnel at the time. Instead, they purchased a 1.4 mile right of way around the Pinkerton Horn as a bypass. In 2015, the tunnel restoration was completed but due to it's scenic nature, the bypass was kept open. I've ridden it several times and it's a pleasant diversion from the main trail.

Chris ...
My 6000 km goal falls midway between where you are now and 4000 miles. Maybe, reset for 6000 km. It'll still be a challenge but it's doable! And it comes with bragging rights of 500 km/month. When you've ticked that off, go for 4000 miles as planned! You might win twice.
... David
Even better -- I'd get bragging rights of 600km/month, because I didn't start biking until March of this year ;)
Another arbitrary measure/milestone I'm aiming for -- hitting 100 bike office commutes by 12/31 -- I have 9 more to go tonight -- should hopefully be (fingers crossed!) able to squeeze in 7 commutes during Dec...

Rented Ebikes on the Moor. Dartmoor, Devon UK. The Ebikes were Kalkhoff step thru with first generation Bosch mid drive motors and a 7 speed IGH. The moor is the backdrop for the Hound of the Basketvilles and have some interesting Bronze Age stone structures.

Attachments

• 025C38B0-7103-4B7A-A5C7-34EDE886F4E7.jpeg
    025C38B0-7103-4B7A-A5C7-34EDE886F4E7.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Banks Peninsula, South Island, New Zealand ...
nz_akaroa_aa.jpg

Ebike heaven on earth is best by one big problem: getting your own ebike there (forget about it!). Fortunately NZ is the most adventure traveller-oriented country in the world; you'll have no problem if you do just a little web searching before heading across the Pacific.

The first photo was taken on an ebike-perfect gravel road high on the Banks Peninsula, a volcanic caldera just south of Christchurch (named by James Cook in honour of his brilliant young botanist Joseph Banks). Below us is Akaroa Harbour - essentially a volcanic 'lake' open to the Pacific - and the town of the same name which delights in presenting itself as a faux-French village. The food is good!

chch_lr_rt_aa.jpg

The ride from Christchurch to Akaroa can be done in one or two days: the first part is on the Christchurch-Little River Rail Trail (second photo - notice the sheep grid on the bridge!) and then up and over the extinct volcano - keeping away from the sealed 'highway' as much as possible.

In the second photo, the rail trail follows the old line straight across Lake Ellesmere / Te Waihora (many NZ places have official dual English/Maori names) which is a lagoon separated from the Pacific by a sand barrier. If you look carefully, you might just make out a small group of black swans swimming in the middle-distance at the right edge of the photo.
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
Forecast for heavy rain over the coming weekend so took time off from doing the ironing and cleaning ;) to clock up a few kilometres on the eMTB - in fact 29km. Quite a bite in the air at 5°C (41°F) but clear riding.

The route took in a mixture of forestry tracks, open land and a river valley edging by a few towns on the way. The photograph overlooking the town of Weissach here in the SouthWest of Germany shows the Porsche Development Centre behind and up on the hill. In fact, although I live a few kilometres distant in the neighbouring town, when the wind is blowing in the right direction I can hear the cars that are currently being tested being put through their paces around the test track.

The railway line shown is part of the Strogäubahn, a private railway 22.2km in length and is more or less a commuter railway running several times a day. At certain times of the year the line is used by steam railway enthusiasts running tourists/visitors on the locomotive named "Feurigen Elias".

Passing by a neighbouring towns Railway Station it was nice to see that the authorities have now made eBikes available for rent on a pick up here, drop off there basis and that the network is rapidly increasing.

With the holiday season fast approaching at which time we often get blanketed in snow, it will soon be time to call the Park Tool bicycle stand into service and give the eMTB a good overall - new chain, new tyres and new brake pads plus a good general going over including clean. I've opted to fit the Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB which should be arriving in the post in the next hour or so.

Glemstal_2.jpgGlemstal_3.jpgHeuweg_Bahnhof.jpgNear_Heimerdingen.jpgNear_Rutesheim.jpgNear_Weissach.jpgOverlooking_Weissach.jpgStrohgäubahn_1.jpgStrohgäubahn_Nr._Heimerdingen.jpgGlemstal_1.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 27678
Ebike heaven on earth is best by one big problem: getting your own ebike there (forget about it!). Fortunately NZ is the most adventure traveller-oriented country in the world; you'll have no problem if you do just a little web searching before heading across the Pacific.

The first photo was taken on an ebike-perfect gravel road high on the Banks Peninsula, a volcanic caldera just south of Christchurch (named by James Cook in honour of his brilliant young botanist Joseph Banks). Below us is Akaroa Harbour - essentially a volcanic 'lake' open to the Pacific - and the town of the same name which delights in presenting itself as a faux-French village. The food is good!

View attachment 27680
The ride from Christchurch to Akaroa can be done in one or two days: the first part on the Christchurch-Little River Rail Trail (second photo - notice the sheep grid on the bridge!) and then up and over the extinct volcano - keeping away from the sealed 'highway' as much as possible.

In the second photo, the rail trail follows the old line straight across Lake Ellesmere / Te Waihora (many NZ places have official dual English/Maori names) which is a lagoon separated from the Pacific by a sand barrier. If you look carefully, you might just make out a small group of black swans swimming in the middle-distance at the right edge of the photo.
... David
WOW top pic is a sweet reminder that it is only 7 months until summer in the northern hemisphere

Forecast for heavy rain over the coming weekend so took time off from doing the ironing and cleaning ;) to clock up a few kilometres on the eMTB - in fact 29km. Quite a bite in the air at 5°C (41°F) but clear riding.

The route took in a mixture of forestry tracks, open land and a river valley edging by a few towns on the way. The photograph overlooking the town of Weissach here in the SouthWest of Germany shows the Porsche Development Centre behind and up on the hill. In fact, although I live a few kilometres distant in the neighbouring town, when the wind is blowing in the right direction I can hear the cars that are currently being tested being put through their paces around the test track.

The railway line shown is part of the Strogäubahn, a private railway 22.2km in length and is more or less a commuter railway running several times a day. At certain times of the year the line is used by steam railway enthusiasts running tourists/visitors on the locomotive named "Feurigen Elias".

Passing by a neighbouring towns Railway Station it was nice to see that the authorities have now made eBikes available for rent on a pick up here, drop off there basis and that the network is rapidly increasing.

With the holiday season fast approaching at which time we often get blanketed in snow, it will soon be time to call the Park Tool bicycle stand into service and give the eMTB a good overall - new chain, new tyres and new brake pads plus a good general going over including clean. I've opted to fit the Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB which should be arriving in the post in the next hour or so.

View attachment 27683View attachment 27684View attachment 27685View attachment 27686View attachment 27687View attachment 27688View attachment 27689View attachment 27690View attachment 27691View attachment 27692
I wish we could rent Ebikes like that here but so far I have only seen cruiser rentals. What is the purpose of the curved parts on top of the rear racks?

View attachment 27678

View attachment 27680
The ride from Christchurch to Akaroa can be done in one or two days: the first part on the Christchurch-Little River Rail Trail (second photo - notice the sheep grid on the bridge!) and then up and over the extinct volcano - keeping away from the sealed 'highway' as much as possible.

... David

Lovely will have to pop over the south island and do this, where did you recharge your bike?

Today I reached 1000k mark on the R+M . The bike has been a flawless performer so far. Some fresh snow on the mountains. the first pic has a Great blue Heron in the tree on the top left. I also spotted a rare Turkey Vulture on a log boom but that pic was not worth posting. Last pic shows the abundant ferns along the trails around my neck of the woods . They are without a doubt the product of abundant rainfall.
1543534044165.png

Is that where the Little River Band got their name from?
Steve ...
No. In an early attempt to break into the US market the band had been named after a decidedly big US river.

One day early in 1975 whilst driving from Melbourne to a gig in nearby Geelong a band member spotted a sign to the Australian hamlet of Little River and exclaimed "That's a better name!". And so it was; Mississippi no longer.
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve ...
Melbourne's Little River Band took its time in deciding what to call themselves. In a somewhat corny attempt to break into the US market the boys had named themselves after a decidedly big US river (the one with the tricky spelling).

One day early in 1975 whilst driving from Melbourne to Geelong (pronounced J'long) Glenn Shorrock, who had just recently joined Mississippi, spotted a sign to the hamlet of Little River and exclaimed "Reck'n wheeze call ourselves that, mate!". And so it was.

A few years later, Little River's tranquillity was shattered when the local roads were transformed into Highway 9 by Mel Gibson, Toecutter and the other low life in the dystopian nightmare of the original Mad Max movie.

Shortly before these events, our VW Kombi made the sea voyage from Melbourne docks (close to Victoria's Little River) to Lyttleton (Christchurch's harbour on the opposite side of the Banks Peninsula from NZ's Little River) - its second ocean voyage following earlier trans-Africa adventures. After completing my masters at U. Auckland in 1974, we returned to Melbourne and other studies and escapades. Jen and I have often wondered whether we should have stayed on... on the friendly island of the long white cloud. Life would have been different; and a lot cooler right now.
... David
WOW I always wanted one of those kraut cans , but are you seriously telling me you took it out on the open sea? Hats off to you my friend . I doubt I could find the courage to try that!

Back