Should I buy a Vado SL, or Wait for the Release of the Version with the 1.2 Motor?

I looked at the specs and just didn't find anything compelling regarding that bike vs the non carbon Specialized SLs. Not even a massive weight advantage.
Might be worth testing in person. Motor noise is pretty significantly quieter than the 1.1 motor, and power.

Might be worth testing in person. Motor noise is pretty significantly quieter than the 1.1 motor, and power.
Still has the same 1.1 motor which I don't find loud at all and my friend did not mention at all on his test ride.

He came back with a grin.

Quick question; have their been ANY changes to the Turbo Vado SL 5.0 since mine was built in October of 2021 for the 2022 model year other than the recent addition of the black color option?
If your model is equipped with Mastermind TCU and SRAM drivetrain then indeed the current model is not any different save the colour.

Motor noise is pretty significantly quieter than the 1.1 motor
I know AR you are sensitive to the motor noise :) Regarding my Vado SL with the 1.1 motor, I stopped noticing the noise. It could be me becoming deaf (I doubt it!), riding during harsh weather that dampens the motor noise in the wind, or I have just got used to it. After all the mods made to my beloved Fearless, it has become as quiet as I intentionally listen to the e-bike to make sure the motor's working :)

1711594510493.png

Cannot wait to get my e-bike tubeless! :)

I know AR you are sensitive to the motor noise :) Regarding my Vado SL with the 1.1 motor, I stopped noticing the noise. It could be me becoming deaf (I doubt it!), riding during harsh weather that dampens the motor noise in the wind, or I have just got used to it. After all the mods made to my beloved Fearless, it has become as quiet as I intentionally listen to the e-bike to make sure the motor's working :)

View attachment 173207
Cannot wait to get my e-bike tubeless! :)
Yeah I am incredibly noise-sensitive (especially high frequencies), and it just plain sucks. Tinnitus & hyperacusis. Maybe I'll go into more detail in another thread some day.

In any event, I only added it here because it's something that comes up quite a bit in reviews and discussions of the Creo with 1.1. Much less so the Vado SL for some reason.. It is louder with higher cadence.

If your model is equipped with Mastermind TCU and SRAM drivetrain then indeed the current model is not any different save the colour.
Thanks, that's what I figured but it seems odd that components weren't upgraded/changed in 2 years; adding a new color is nice though I prefer the original unpainted aluminum which is quite unique.

Quick question; have their been ANY changes to the Turbo Vado SL 5.0 since mine was built in October of 2021 for the 2022 model year other than the recent addition of the black color option?

My friend is finally going to pull the trigger now that he can get zero interest financing through Specialized for a 12 month period and that it won't be the same color as mine.

He has the cash, he just has a shrewish spouse who controls him to no end so a smaller monthly payment will rise her ire less than a single larger payment.

Odd but it is a terrible marriage that he refuses to leave or alter in any way as she has some weird influence over him.

Just curious of any changes as I haven't read of any changes which is impressive.
If yours has the Mastermind TCU then I don't believe there are any changes - check the current technical info and see if it matches your drivetrain though, not sure if they might's made some initial 2022's with an 11-speed and now sell 12 speed.

and there's no reason to excuse taking a zero-interest offer - it's smart to take on low/no-cost debt when you can make more on the cash elsewhere. Put the $4500 into a 12-month CD at 5% and pay off the loan before any interest accrues.

If yours has the Mastermind TCU then I don't believe there are any changes - check the current technical info and see if it matches your drivetrain though, not sure if they might's made some initial 2022's with an 11-speed and now sell 12 speed.

and there's no reason to excuse taking a zero-interest offer - it's smart to take on low/no-cost debt when you can make more on the cash elsewhere. Put the $4500 into a 12-month CD at 5% and pay off the loan before any interest accrues.
Definitely; it's like saving $200 or thereabouts over the course of the year.

Yes my bike has the latest tech.

Just check the Specialized site and the user manuals, including specs, for the SL are identical for 2021-2023 model years.

Hi there i ride Sl 5.0 and do not notice that much noise, but i also wear Bone conductive head phones :cool: so i can hear the cars coming

Funny how they do tha.

Wouldn’t be difficult to de-EQ the bike if you preferred it that way.

… and that matte yellow is nice
Sadly the yellow is only available in XL.

They also have the 4.0 EQ on sale at $3250 but not the non EQ. I guess in the US the non EQ versions are far more popular compared to other places where bikes are used for commuting vs mostly recreation here.

Sadly the yellow is only available in XL.
Sure, that's what it shows for online sales today. That can change tomorrow or next week or the week after. Also consider asking your LBS if they can order - my LBS told me last year that stores order from a different stock than the direct-to-consumer website orders, so it may be available in your size through them.

I also see the Find In-Store button shows the yellow EQ 5.0 in M and L as in-stock at a couple shops 50-60 miles from Santa Rosa.

They also have the 4.0 EQ on sale at $3250 but not the non EQ. I guess in the US the non EQ versions are far more popular compared to other places where bikes are used for commuting vs mostly recreation here.
Perhaps. Though the non-EQ models were on a sale for a while too. It may just flip flop around based on inventory and demand.

I will note that the 4.0 models have the older light-bars TCU rather than the newer Mastermind TCU the 5.0's come with. Also the 4.0's don't come with Future Shock like the 5.0 model, which frankly is pretty nice to have, even the basic 1.5 version. (which can be upgraded to the new FS 3.3 which allows adjusting the damping during a ride). You cannot - AFAIK - retrofit FutureShock to a bike that didn't come with it, at least not without replacing the 4.0's aluminum fork with the 5.0's carbon fork.

Last edited:
Sure, that's what it shows for online sales today. That can change tomorrow or next week or the week after. Also consider asking your LBS if they can order - my LBS told me last year that stores order from a different stock than the direct-to-consumer website orders, so it may be available in your size through them.

I also see the Find In-Store button shows the yellow EQ 5.0 in M and L as in-stock at a couple shops 50-60 miles from Santa Rosa.

Perhaps. Though the non-EQ models were on a sale for a while too. It may just flip flop around based on inventory and demand. I will note that the 4.0 models have the older light-bars TCU rather than the newer Mastermind TCU the 5.0's come with. Also the 4.0's don't come with Future Shock like the 5.0 model, which frankly is pretty nice to have, even the basic 1.5 version. (which can be upgraded to the new FS 3.3 which allows adjusting the damping during a ride). You cannot - AFAIK - retrofit FutureShock to a bike that didn't come with it, at least not without replacing the 4.0's aluminum fork with the 5.0's carbon fork.
I have the 5.0 SL and like the Futureshock but some on here have the 4.0 SL with Redshift ShockStop and have reported good result.

You cannot - AFAIK - retrofit FutureShock to a bike that didn't come with it, at least not without replacing the 4.0's aluminum fork with the 5.0's carbon fork.
To be precise: yes you can replace the existing 4.0 fork with the carbon fork + FutureShock combo, which is expensive (this is what you said; I have only re-phrased your sentence).

some on here have the 4.0 SL with Redshift ShockStop and have reported good result.
Yes, it works. On the other hand, it requires other modifications such as repositioning the head-light. I would be more happy if I could have just bought the SL 5.0 in another colour than offered in 2021. I say that because the number of mods and their cost to bring up the 4.0 to 5.0 level is significant. (Just think of replacing the drivetrain).

Reactions: GAJ
To be precise: yes you can replace the existing 4.0 fork with the carbon fork + FutureShock combo, which is expensive (this is what you said; I have only re-phrased your sentence).

Yes, it works. On the other hand, it requires other modifications such as repositioning the head-light. I would be more happy if I could have just bought the SL 5.0 in another colour than offered in 2021. I say that because the number of mods and their cost to bring up the 4.0 to 5.0 level is significant. (Just think of replacing the drivetrain).
Oh, for me the 5.0 SL was a no brainer, for my friend who I sent the arrival of the new 5.0 SL in black for $4500, $500 less than I paid a year and a half ago, his response was "where can I get it for $4000."

As if I'm some king of magician.

He has MORE than enough cash to buy four of them but he's quibbling about $4500 so I started at looking at options for him.

He's a cheap SOB but I love his kids (professor living in New Orleans and a nurse living in New Orleans), so the cheaper he is the more money they get so I deal with it.

Back