Should I buy a Vado SL, or Wait for the Release of the Version with the 1.2 Motor?

He has MORE than enough cash to buy four of them but he's quibbling about $4500 so I started at looking at options for him.

He's a cheap SOB

it’s funny how the cheap SOB’s often have the most available cash.

If they can only bring themselves to spend it. 😀

Reactions: GAJ
question for Vado SL riders do you guys ride with the Clutch engaged or not on the derailleur ?
i get mixed answers from different LBS.

I have Shimano drivetrain there is clutch lever all it does is to make derailleur stiffer to reduce chain whip. It's always engage. Another benefit is when I disengage clutch makes it easier to remove and replace chain.

I have Shimano drivetrain there is clutch lever all it does is to make derailleur stiffer to reduce chain whip. It's always engage. Another benefit is when I disengage clutch makes it easier to remove and replace chain.
No clutch that I'm aware of.

Not really familiar what derailleur specialized Vados is equipped with.

Look-see at derailleur there should be a lever if not there then no clutch.
Zoom on pictures I marked it with yellow paint pen. Down position is disengage up is engaged.

Attachments

• 20240331_092730.jpg
    20240331_092730.jpg
    683.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240331_092634.jpg
    20240331_092634.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 20240331_092657.jpg
    20240331_092657.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240331_092714.jpg
    20240331_092714.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 34
My spare derailleur and chain this cheap derailleur has no clutch my biktrix Monte Capro's oem derailleur original chain was 120 links I experiment with cutting off two links made it shorter because I rarely use lower gears than 7th on an 11speed cassette. Result is less skipping under heavy load. I didn't mention my bike is powered with bafang m620 it eats chains and needs new ones every 7-1000 miles

Attachments

• 20240331_105533.jpg
    20240331_105533.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 22
question for Vado SL riders do you guys ride with the Clutch engaged or not on the derailleur ?
i get mixed answers from different LBS.
No clutch that I'm aware of.
Guys:
Shimano MTB derailleurs (from the Deore class up) have the clutch.
SRAM derailleurs have no clutch.

I always ride with the Shimano "Shadow+" clutch on. The only reason to have the clutch disengaged on a ride (sealed roads) is a slightly easier shifting, or the need to remove the rear wheel.

There are two three* ways to prevent the chain drop off the chainring. Shimano went with the derailleur clutch first (the clutch is a chain tensioner). As SRAM had no clutch, the brand invented the Narrow Wide chainring most of us use nowadays (a patterned chainring keeps the chain as if the latter were glued to the former). It is said the Narrow Wide (or a different pattern such as WAVE) chainring prevents the chain drop better than the clutch. Nothing wrong to have both if your system allows them. The clutch is especially useful in rough terrain where MTB bikes are dominant.

SRAM has a button to lock the derailleur cage so removing and reinstalling the rear wheel is easier.
-------
*) The third way is the chain guide, only used on MTBs.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was told that to disengage for rear wheel flat and tire repair or chain replacement. Just wanted to make sure

Thanks, I was told that to disengage for rear wheel flat and tire repair or chain replacement. Just wanted to make sure
That is correct. Disengage when you prefer lesser tension on the chain, such as wheel removal or chain replacement. Otherwise generally keep it on.

Anyone interested in brand new fenders/rack in US taken off an Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ check here.

Anyone interested in brand new fenders/rack in US taken off an Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ check here.

I was in my LBS the other day and a guy was picking up his repaired 2023 Vado SL 5.0. We got to talking about the bike and I told him that I had bought the 4.0 non EQ. He offered me his rack and fenders gratis but I laughed it off.
In hindsight I should have grabbed them from him. I'm not sure that I really want any of it on my naked SL, however, it would be nice to have the option. I really don't want the fenders but I do occasionally wish I had a rear rack.

I was in my LBS the other day and a guy was picking up his repaired 2023 Vado SL 5.0. We got to talking about the bike and I told him that I had bought the 4.0 non EQ. He offered me his rack and fenders gratis but I laughed it off.
In hindsight I should have grabbed them from him. I'm not sure that I really want any of it on my naked SL, however, it would be nice to have the option. I really don't want the fenders but I do occasionally wish I had a rear rack.
Sadly the rear rack does not work without the fenders.

Edit: I'm sure that it could be rigged to work but less than ideal for sure
Nah, you need a third-party rack to work without fenders on Vado SL. Besides... The original Racktime is only good for 15 kg. I tended to be overloading the original rack, which ended up with it getting bent, and a bent Racktime rack makes the rear fender move and rub the tyre...

The only difference I noticed on his new bike vs mine was better quality of welds compared to my October 2021 build date.

I do occasionally wish I had a rear rack.
Plenty of rear rack options that don't marry you to a fender. I'd suggest looking at the Bontrager BackRack MIK or BackRack Lightweight MIK. I'm considering adding the last one to my Creo but haven't pulled the trigger.

You'll need a rack-stay mount that attaches to the seat tube though, but there's also plenty of those available such as this example I found with a quick Amazon search (i.e. I have no experience with it).

Plenty of rear rack options that don't marry you to a fender. I'd suggest looking at the Bontrager BackRack MIK or BackRack Lightweight MIK. I'm considering adding the last one to my Creo but haven't pulled the trigger.

You'll need a rack-stay mount that attaches to the seat tube though, but there's also plenty of those available such as this example I found with a quick Amazon search (i.e. I have no experience with it).
I used a Topeak on my Vado 4.0 not the SL and it worked great very secure and lots of options for bags and panniers

Attachments

• 20220904_143401.jpg
    20220904_143401.jpg
    985 KB · Views: 31
Back