Shock Stop Seatpost Finally Here

Al P

After waiting almost 1 1/2 years, my seatpost has arrived. Being a Kickstarter project, I can't complain too much because the folks at Redshift sent many progress reports along the way. As it turns out, it was worth the wait.

The seat post came attractively packaged, solidly and securely so that it was impossible for it to get banged around. That's a plus. A comprehensive instruction sheet is easy to follow, with diagrams. Another plus. They also include a second, smaller spring for those who would like to have a stiffer suspension beyond the limits of the installed spring. It is designed to fit right inside the installed spring making it simple to add in. A nice option.

The spring and parts within the post are simple to remove and replace, although I doubt if that will ever be necessary.

Setting it up was straightforward, except that all the measurements and the two hex head clamp screws are metric. Living in the US I had to make do with an SAE Allen wrench that was almost a perfect fit and got the job done without destroying the screws. Interesting that you also adjust the seat angle with those two screws. At their instruction I put a light coating of grease on the post to avoid seizing up over time, although I have never done that with any other seatpost. Another interesting feature is the magnetic "fender" that covers the rear part of the spring mechanism and protects it from tire splash, something I haven't seen on some other brands. I also like that the spring itself is contained within the post and not exposed.

I made some preliminary adjustments and attached it to the Aurora, then a short ride down the driveway and to the first bumps I could find. The seatpost I replaced is an inexpensive XLC I bought a few years ago. It helped, but there is a vast difference between that, and the Shock Stop. The comfort level is much better with the SS. I made a couple more seat angle adjustments which made the ride even more comfortable. Now I'm ready for a real ride, which will have to wait until tomorrow because it's just too cold here today.

So at first glance I am really happy with this seatpost. By the look of its construction, I believe it will last for many years. It has a five year warranty.

The Redshift looks like a well made and carefully designed product. At $229, it is comparable to the Kenekt & Thudbuster posts already on the market. I realize every rider has different needs and expectations when it comes to seat comfort. What exactly sets this one apart from the others?

They all seem to operate in a similar fashion and are all adjustable. The main difference I see is in the spring arrangement and number of springs. Some have external springs, this one has internal spring(s). I like that better for protection from the elements. I don't know about other brands, but there is literally no maintenance on this one.

As an early backer I was able to get it for $129, shipping included.

Their specs say Rearward Offset @ 25% travel is 0.4 inches. Is the rearward movement noticeable when you're riding?

I read these reviews with excitement....how did it ride? How did it ride? Read about the unboxing....how did it ride? Read about the setup. How did it ride?

You remind me of all the girls I've dated that left me with a handshake or friendly hug at the end of the night! 😜😜😜😜😠🤣

Look forward to hearing how it actually went....though reading about the packaging was totally cool 😜😜

Well, I did not get a chance to take that ride today. I'll try again tomorrow. I am as anxious as you are, Duke, but you shouldn't take your dates to McDonalds. :p:p:p

Today I finally took a freezing ride. 🥶 This seatpost is great. The larger bumps are much cushier than my previous seatpost and you don't feel the smaller ones at all. I have an upright riding position, and that has not changed. The reach is also as it was before. I like this enough that I will probably order another one for my other bike, but at a backers discounted price. $229 MSRP does seem like a lot, but this one is very well made, and the design is well-thought out. From all the email updates I received during the manufacturing process, a lot of work went into the design and testing. Redshift seems to be a reputable company.

For a comfortable ride, I would highly recommend the Shock Stop. 👍

Does Redshift make a boot to cover the pivot mechanism? I bought them for my Kinekt and Thudbuster posts after moisture, dust & dirt caused premature wear of the pivot bushings.

Thudbuster also sells a rebuild kit with replacement pivot pins & bushings.

I haven't seen a boot cover yet, but the back of the mechanism is covered by what they call a fender. It is simply a plastic cover for the back end that is attached by a strong magnet and an O-ring tether.

Thats an awful lot of money for a 35mm suspension travel spring operated seatpost. I'm thinking buyers are gullible and have more money than brains. For $20, a 45mm spring seatpost is available from aliexpress, if one cared to search.
Good luck, and have a great day!

Thats an awful lot of money for a 35mm suspension travel spring operated seatpost. I'm thinking buyers are gullible and have more money than brains. For $20, a 45mm spring seatpost is available from aliexpress, if one cared to search.
Some are gullible enough to think they can pay less than half and get the same performance and quality. Their garages are filled with junk that never really worked.

"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey." - John Ruskin

I don't consider myself gullible and I certainly don't have more money than brains. In fact, I generally do a huge amount of research before buying something. At an MSRP of $239, which is competitive with some other brands, this seat post may seem a bit overpriced, but for $145 I consider it a bargain. I am replacing my $20 spring seat posts because the difference is remarkable. ;)

Comparing this suspension to an entry level pogo stick like seatpost suspension that costs <$20 (like XLC or the cheap ones from Aliexpress) is not fair. I used those too and although they will absorb some bumps they are very bouncy and don't dampen well. In my experience these entry level sub $20 suspension seatposts also take away some of your riding effort and should be purchased only if you are on a very tight budget.

On the other hand when you go over $55 you have some very very good options. I have already given my comparison in another thread so will not post it here.

For the OP, it looks like a nice product but to be able to call it bargain you should give us a comparison with some other well known products, especially Kinekt bodyfloat if possible since this is priced at a similar level.

Last edited:
I maintain that a lever actioned spring is esentially no better than a sraight spring. As a mechanical engineer, I think a adjustabe nitrogen gas or hydraulic control would be preferable for bound and rebound control to the ancient metal spring with friction control pogo stick concept. New is not necessarily better.

I maintain that a lever actioned spring is esentially no better than a sraight spring. As a mechanical engineer, I think a adjustabe nitrogen gas or hydraulic control would be preferable for bound and rebound control to the ancient metal spring with friction control pogo stick concept. New is not necessarily better.

Well, thank you very much for this reply. I actually was about to ask if there is a mechanical engineer who can tell me its opinion on whether one design is better than the other.

If anyone is interested, pre-orders are still available. ($145, includes shipping.) I just ordered another one for my other bike.
$145, shipping included seems like a pretty good price but the link you provided shows the price as $229.99 for pre-orders.

The parallelogram design of the Kinekt Body Float and the new Redshift reduce the pedaling energy loss inherent in direct vertical shock absorption setups by redirecting some of the damping effort backwards instead of down. If you ride in an athletic and hard manner you will notice a real difference and develop a preference for them. On my mountain ebike, I have a PNW dropper post with adjustable pneumatic shock built in that does a decent job but not up to the standard that my Kinekt provides on my touring bike, both of which have the same suspension parts.

Also while the redshift does contain the spring in the down tube. That also necessitates removing the tube to make adjustments. The Kinekt allows for a change of springs or adjustment of spring preload without having to remove anything. The redshift looks to be lower profile, taking up less vertical seatpost travel than the Kinekt, possibly making it a better choice for shorter riders.

Last edited:
Back