Shift sensor disable?

BMXPremium

Region
USA
I am trying to find a way to disable my shift sensor on my XPremium. I have been shifting gears on bicycles for over 50 years! I found the sensor and followed the wire which disappears int the frame below the motor. I opened up the compartment where the controller lives hoping to find the wire plugged into the controller. No such luck. No sensor wire to be found. Appears it goes to the motor and not the controller. Anybody done this. The motor cutout delay is too long especially when going uphill.

I am trying to find a way to disable my shift sensor on my XPremium. I have been shifting gears on bicycles for over 50 years! I found the sensor and followed the wire which disappears int the frame below the motor. I opened up the compartment where the controller lives hoping to find the wire plugged into the controller. No such luck. No sensor wire to be found. Appears it goes to the motor and not the controller. Anybody done this. The motor cutout delay is too long especially when going uphill.
there is no shift sensor. I think your looking at a brake motor cutoff.

This is a mid drive bike and it is a shift sensor. It cuts power to the motor while shifting. It has brake cutoffs also. The shift sensor is mounted on the frame tube and the shifter cable runs through it and there is a wire going from there to the motor
1688575290496835640617101017954.jpg

Attachments

• 16885751991477566518523067881905.jpg
    16885751991477566518523067881905.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 75
hard to believe they put it on such a low end bike. so I bet its not smooth. love the description.

Shift Sensor​

A game-changing shift sensor detects movement in the brakes and temporarily cuts the motor output to protect your drivetrain and keep the ride smooth & controlled.

I suppose you could call it a low end bike but it is Lectrics most expensive model. It has brake/motor cutoffs but it also has a shift sensor that cuts the motor power for a short blink. You can trace the cable from the shifter down through the sensor in my pics. It has nothing to do with the brakes whatsoever. I dont use the brake for shifting, do you? Not sure where you got that sentence you put in there but it detects movement in the shifter not the brakes. You might want to check their site again. I actually pulled the cover off the sensor and the actual shifter cable runs through it. My brakes have no cable as my "low end' mid drive has hydraulic brakes. Wish you actually had something helpful and correct for me.
Thanks anyway

I suppose you could call it a low end bike but it is Lectrics most expensive model. It has brake/motor cutoffs but it also has a shift sensor that cuts the motor power for a short blink. You can trace the cable from the shifter down through the sensor in my pics. It has nothing to do with the brakes whatsoever. I dont use the brake for shifting, do you? Not sure where you got that sentence you put in there but it detects movement in the shifter not the brakes. You might want to check their site again. I actually pulled the cover off the sensor and the actual shifter cable runs through it. My brakes have no cable as my "low end' mid drive has hydraulic brakes. Wish you actually had something helpful and correct for me.
Thanks anyway
got it right from their website. can you manually remove the sensor from the cable? you may have the take the cable out and then side it off the housing? sorry but lectric is a cheap bike no matter what. the housing will have to be replaced sometime in the future so the sensor may come off. if it is a shimano shifter then it cant be built in.

I just looked at Lectrics website and it does indeed say that the shift sensor detects movement in the brakes. Another of Lectrics many misprints. I have found plenty in my bikes manual. It IS a shift sensor as it says. Explain how one would be connected to brakes. Here is the info from the manual:
. Your bike
is equipped with a shift sensor which cuts power to the motor when
a shift occurs. This ensures that the motor does not accelerate the
chain in the middle of a shift, potentially causing undue stress or
damage to the chain or the gears.
You believe yet? I wasn't expecting to defend myself here, just looking for advice on how to disable my shift sensor
Thanks

I can dismantle it but don't want to. Was hoping to unplug it but there is no connection in the controller location. Goes up into the mid drive motor which I don't want to go in there.
got it right from their website. can you manually remove the sensor from the cable? you may have the take the cable out and then side it off the housing? sorry but lectric is a cheap bike no matter what. the housing will have to be replaced sometime in the future so the sensor may come off. if it is a shimano shifter then it cant be built in.
Iit

Welcome @BMXPremium. You have my empathy. I am an electric bike mechanic. You want options and answers. I am listening. One option is to cut the wire. Peal it back. There will be three wires inside such as red, black, and blue. Bend those wires back and seal them with shrink tube so they do not touch and moisture cannot get in. The shift sensor uses the same circuits as the lever cutouts. In my opinion, if you trace the brake lever cutouts you will find the splitter connection to the shift sensor and can disconnect it there.

Welcome @BMXPremium. You have my empathy. I am an electric bike mechanic. You want options and answers. I am listening. One option is to cut the wire. Peal it back. There will be three wires inside such as red, black, and blue. Bend those wires back and seal them with shrink tube so they do not touch and moisture cannot get in. The shift sensor uses the same circuits as the lever cutouts. In my opinion, if you trace the brake lever cutouts you will find the splitter connection to the shift sensor and can disconnect it there.
Thanks there seems to be no wire to the sensor, just the shift cable. There is a sheathed wire leaving the sensor going down to the motor. Inside the sensor which i opened is the bare shift cable that goes over a small cam with a small circuit board behind it. No wires going to or heading from the brake levers. I'm sure that may all be interconnected somewhere like in the mid drive housing but not in the frame where the controller is. I was hoping to try something temporary like unplugging in case I wanted to go back but I'm not really seeing an option. Thanks

Just curious, what "high end" bike do you ride that makes you feel entitled to belittle a new forum members bike on his first post?

One way to do it would be to release the cable from the derailleur, pull the cable up past the sensor and take out the shift sensor altogether and set it aside with a zip tie? Feed the cable back through, there is probably plenty of slack to allow for taking out the sensor.

Generally mid motors have controllers mounted within the casing? Couldn't tell from their site if it wasn't though.

One way to do it would be to release the cable from the derailleur, pull the cable up past the sensor and take out the shift sensor altogether and set it aside with a zip tie? Feed the cable back through, there is probably plenty of slack to allow for taking out the sensor.

Generally mid motors have controllers mounted within the casing? Couldn't tell from their site if it wasn't though.
The controller is in the lower end of the fold of the folding frame. Only battery and motor connections on the controller. 2 batteries. If i took out the sensor there would be about two inches or so of bare cable with no cable housing.

Cable housing is easy to replace with new longer housing. Or, you could just cheat. I do all the time. And highly recommend it. Just replace it with an Inline Shift Cable Adjuster. Done & Donner!

I
Cable housing is easy to replace with new longer housing. Or, you could just cheat. I do all the time. And highly recommend it. Just replace it with an Inline Shift Cable Adjuster. Done & Donner!

I like it, hadn't seen one of those. I'm out of town for a couple days. Will look at it with a critical eye when I get home! Lol. Thanks for your input.

Just curious, what "high end" bike do you ride that makes you feel entitled to belittle a new forum members bike on his first post?
I like lectric's. Owned 2. But if you do not understand their price points in bringing ebikes to the market, then you really do not understand ebikes and the marketing of Lectric. They are doing their best (said with respect) to get more people riding. Do not get offended when someone points out some of the obvious quirks of said ebike and the price point. Even Levi will acknowledge the price point and what they are marketing towards.
I own a Surface604 Werk and a Frey CC. Just sold my Himiway Cruiser. Had 2 Lectric 1.0's. Ask me anything.

Last edited:
I really want to know what kind of bike you think I should buy so I can look down my nose at others once I become a "Well Known Member' like you
Thanks
Standing by
Do you own a trike? Asking for the forum.

I really want to know what kind of bike you think I should buy so I can look down my nose at others once I become a "Well Known Member' like you
Thanks
Standing by
sorry your so upset. I was just surprised about having a shift sensor. on that low end bike. there is always a better bike out there so don't know why you're so worried about it. Pretty of people here have more expensive bikes than me. but if you're riding a bike for status thats on you.

Back