Shift sensor disable?

Screenshot 2023-07-06 4.33.47 PM.png

Motor is a Truckrun. Is there something on the bike that looks like the crappy screenshot above? What little info shared about the motors, it may be somewhere on the drive line side in back.

New to ebikes but rode analog bikes for many years when I was younger.

Never had a mid-drive ebike, though I'd imagine that when combined with a smooth torque sensor it would represent the ultimate experience: transparent power delivery combined with stump-pulling power at low speeds. Yeah, it would be very hard on chains and freewheels, but those are cheap parts easily replaced periodically.

It would make sense to have a shift sensor tie into the same motor interrupter line that the brake handles also used, and I suspect that the text error that shift sensing comes from brake application is from a poor translation effort from a Chinese copywriter.

Finally, we have had a couple of XP2.0st bikes for 18 months and enjoy them very much. Amazed at the value they represent since they were only about $1K each. Calling them "Chinese junk" is grossly inaccurate in 2023. If anyone hasn't noticed, goods coming from China can be of excellent quality at a mind-blowing price. I'm old enough to remember that "Japanese electronics" were considered junk once upon a time. Now it's the USA that needs to catch up in many areas.

I'd like to see actual sales figures for the industry, but have the impression that Lectric has gone from nothing to Major Player in just a few years. Some say they have sold hundreds of thousands of ebikes.

If you are referring to the pics in my original post, yes that's the shift sensor. Or are you referring to something else?

I am trying to find a way to disable my shift sensor on my XPremium. I have been shifting gears on bicycles for over 50 years! I found the sensor and followed the wire which disappears int the frame below the motor. I opened up the compartment where the controller lives hoping to find the wire plugged into the controller. No such luck. No sensor wire to be found. Appears it goes to the motor and not the controller. Anybody done this. The motor cutout delay is too long especially when going uphill.
Just take the cable out of the sensor,you will need to replace the whole shifter cable housing, my wife has a xpremium and I have a trek mid drive mine is silent when shifting her sounds like a truck

Welcome @BMXPremium. You have my empathy. I am an electric bike mechanic. You want options and answers. I am listening. One option is to cut the wire. Peal it back. There will be three wires inside such as red, black, and blue. Bend those wires back and seal them with shrink tube so they do not touch and moisture cannot get in. The shift sensor uses the same circuits as the lever cutouts. In my opinion, if you trace the brake lever cutouts you will find the splitter connection to the shift sensor and can disconnect it there.
Hey @PedalUma I
see you have some experience with the " brake power cut off " . Will an Aventon Aventure Ebike experience issues if you replace a rear brake without the " brake power cut off " cable but front brake would still be connected to cut off ? Or even disconnect both cut offs would there be any effect other than losing that feature ? I.e. electronic issues or errors that would cause ebike problems?

Attachments

• 20230903_150647.jpg
    20230903_150647.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230903_150514.jpg
    20230903_150514.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 59
Hey @PedalUma I
see you have some experience with the " brake power cut off " . Will an Aventon Aventure Ebike experience issues if you replace a rear brake without the " brake power cut off " cable but front brake would still be connected to cut off ? Or even disconnect both cut offs would there be any effect other than losing that feature ? I.e. electronic issues or errors that would cause ebike problems?
Thanks for reaching out. The cutouts are optional. You could just chop them off and the bike will work fine. To do this use heat shrink tube 5mm. peal back the two or three wires inside the outer insulation so they cannot short. Then seal them. The cutout is there so there is not a conflict between the brake and throttle. But no one uses both at the same time. So, just use adult caution and discretion when it comes to safety.

Do not use 'cruise control' that is suicide. One guy made his own Hee Haw zip tie 'cruise control' we never heard from him again. NO, NO. Bikes have pedals, use those to go. That is what bicycles do. Pedal = go. I asked him in flat central Canada if duct tape was less hee haw than a zip tie on the always full open throttle. Always use your feet. Chopping the brake also means chopping the handlebar throttle.

1693791121152.jpeg

Lectric bikes activate the cruise by holding the throttle at the desired speed and holding the down button to set the speed. No zip ties. No duct tape. Touching the brake lever will instantly disable it....unless, of course, you've bodged the brake cut off wiring....but suit yourself. I suspect the cruise is the least used option on these bikes.

Thanks for reaching out. The cutouts are optional. You could just chop them off and the bike will work fine. To do this use heat shrink tube 5mm. peal back the two or three wires inside the outer insulation so they cannot short. Then seal them. The cutout is there so there is not a conflict between the brake and throttle. But no one uses both at the same time. So, just use adult caution and discretion when it comes to safety.

Thanks so much for the knowledge & options for the cutouts PedalUma I thank you very kindly & owe you 1 Coors light & 1 J ;)

@uncledustcomedy,
This is my latest build. Note the wires and the gears. See any zip ties, or ugly connectors? That takes soldering through frame. The motor pulls the chain thru the gears and it monitors pedal pressure, like a car, at 1000 time per second. Push down and go like a car, I put the throttle in the pedals instead of the thumb. The gears will take any hill in E or W California a car can climb and all the single track trails. It was made as a commuter with fenders, a rack, and bags. I chopped all the connectors to make it smooth, clean. The total weight is 41 pounds on the Extra Large. The range is 70 miles. It does 29 at a pedal speed of 90 rpm. It is all controlled by the pedals with natural feel. This is what an electric bike looks like. It now has the rack and panniers with Niki stickers on the battery, and a water bottle top. Stealth & Style & Comfort. If you want, you can see reviews that are verified on Google Maps. Just search for PedalUma eBikes. Happy to feel helpful.
Thanks,
PedalUma

Attachments

• Marin eStinson 2b.jpg
    Marin eStinson 2b.jpg
    963.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Back