ShareRoller - Quick and Dirty Electric Bikes

I would not give any credence to any of their shipping predictions or promises at this point.

Neither would I, and I find that very unfortunate. I might understand it if it was being presented as a prediction, but on their commercial product web page it's stated as a fact to buyers that may not be aware of the history of these kind of statements.

Is the firm being honest now? Or are they being deceptive? One shows integrity. The other, something less. I guess we'll know by March 15th, since the 3-4 week promise was placed on February 15th per a post above.

I'd certainly appreciate it if any/all buyers that have placed orders with Onemotor continue to let us all know how that's going, and what you're hearing in terms of your deliveries. I can't be the only one that wants to buy it but isn't about to under this environment of distrust.

Brian

Neither would I, and I find that very unfortunate. I might understand it if it was being presented as a prediction, but on their commercial product web page it's stated as a fact to buyers that may not be aware of the history of these kind of statements.

Is the firm being honest now? Or are they being deceptive? One shows integrity. The other, something less. I guess we'll know by March 15th, since the 3-4 week promise was placed on February 15th per a post above.

I'd certainly appreciate it if any/all buyers that have placed orders with Onemotor continue to let us all know how that's going, and what you're hearing in terms of your deliveries. I can't be the only one that wants to buy it but isn't about to under this environment of distrust.

Brian
Once they start to ship, I wouldn't have any worries, imo. It's getting things lined up for distribution that is hanging things up now, Jeff is done design tweaking (thank God!). Once the spigot turns on, the flow will continue. I don't know that very many backers are posting here so first deliveries to the NY area may not get mentioned here. Miro, who has posted here, has a "pre-order" placed so whatever he hears might be of real interest to you.

Once they start to ship, I wouldn't have any worries, imo. It's getting things lined up for distribution that is hanging things up now, Jeff is done design tweaking (thank God!). Once the spigot turns on, the flow will continue. I don't know that very many backers are posting here so first deliveries to the NY area may not get mentioned here. Miro, who has posted here, has a "pre-order" placed so whatever he hears might be of real interest to you.
Brian, I can't talk about the history as I'm not a backer, but in this year their forecasted delivery so far matches with real happening even in one case supersedes it: promised was shipping from China just before Cny and the first shipping of 100 units arrived before Cny. And they're very informative with the time demanding upgrades, just look into final design of the battery and the changer - decorating beauty. Great improvement in the motor enclosure, now to be carbonate (not sure if the first batches will have it). They proved their approach not to be 'just get the parts, put together and ship out ' but continuing design improvement by rather sacrificing shipping dates than sticking to it by not worried about possible flaws.
Your distrust as a prospective buyer is absolutely unjustified. But to satisfy yourself I would suggest you give them a call and find out more. You might be lucky to get Grace online, she's utmost supportive and honest.

Your distrust as a prospective buyer is absolutely unjustified.

Wrong, Miro. Brian is right, and the distrust is justified.

The distrust was brought on by Jeff himself making promise after promise after promise after promise. Dozens of promises over YEARS--not days or weeks or months--promises over YEARS, I say, that Jeff made. And for what purpose? To keep the backers/customers quiescent. Jeff (and your, Miro) hope for the best does NOT justify all the broken promises over all the many, many, many months; and, therefore, the distrust is justified.

The better way is simple and obvious and I have said it before (repeatedly): STOP making promises or predictions; just report the news. Had Jeff done that, the distrust would be less (though still justified after all these years of delays).

Did I mention it has been YEARS?

Your distrust as a prospective buyer is absolutely unjustified.

Wrong, Miro. Brian is right, and the distrust is justified.

The distrust was brought on by Jeff himself making promise after promise after promise after promise. Dozens of promises over YEARS--not days or weeks or months--promises over YEARS, I say, that Jeff made. And for what purpose? To keep the backers/customers quiescent. Jeff (and your, Miro) hope for the best does NOT justify all the broken promises over all the many, many, many months; and, therefore, the distrust is justified.

The better way is simple and obvious and I have said it before (repeatedly): STOP making promises or predictions; just report the news. Had Jeff done that, the distrust would be less (though still justified after all these years of delays).

Did I mention it has been YEARS?
I heard you,that is another way to look at 'distrust'. The next 2 to 3 months will clarify where we stand ...

OneMotor page now says ships in "2-3 weeks". Perhaps that means FCC certification went okay. Hope Jeff will push out an update with some feedback from first deliveries.

OneMotor page now says ships in "2-3 weeks". Perhaps that means FCC certification went okay. Hope Jeff will push out an update with some feedback from first deliveries.
Almost for sure the first OM will appear on the streets of NYC this week. Ave, Jeff.

The FCC does no testing itself for products. FCC certified testing labs do it. The FCC has a link to a list of accredited testing labs...

"A list of FCC-recognized accredited testing laboratories is provided on the FCC website at:
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/TestFirmSearch.cfm. "

At the list site, they then let it be known:
"The following firms are accredited for measuring devices subject to Declaration of Conformity (DOC) and Certification under the FCC rules, and have indicated that they are available to the public on a contract basis. This list is provided as a public service. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO SELECT A FIRM THAT IS CAPABLE OF MEASURING YOUR SPECIFIC DEVICE. The FCC takes no responsibility regarding the capability of these firms for performing the required measurements. Accordingly, firms on this list should not advertise or otherwise imply FCC approval of their site."

Looks great!

Attachments

• 1551939901178.png
    1551939901178.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 662
Hopefully, we're a few weeks away from someone posting a demo of the very most important aspects of this system: Removal and Attachment

Is this going to be a practical system that can be removed in a reasonable number of seconds and attached in roughly about the same amount of time? That was certainly the case with the original 'briefcase' style design, but the design has changed substantially to the current modular mounting. Can a buyer realistically plan to have a beater bike that they can mount this to and take it off of close to effortlessly so that you can feel comfortable locking up the bike and not the expensive motor when you run an errand like grocery shopping, or commute to where you have to leave your bike locked to a rack or such all day long?

Seriously, I'd probably own a cheapish $700 eBike from Amazon for my 3.5 mile residential street commute by now except for the fact that cheap isn't cheap if it gets stolen in the first few weeks, as is possible. If I can mount a Onemotor system on my Diamondback, and lose my Diamondback to theft (without the motor mounted), Walmart here I come for the next bike....as long as I still have the Onemotor.

It does look like shipping is imminent this time. I'm looking forward to hearing user reports and seeing user videos.

Brian

Hopefully, we're a few weeks away from someone posting a demo of the very most important aspects of this system: Removal and Attachment

Is this going to be a practical system that can be removed in a reasonable number of seconds and attached in roughly about the same amount of time? That was certainly the case with the original 'briefcase' style design, but the design has changed substantially to the current modular mounting. Can a buyer realistically plan to have a beater bike that they can mount this to and take it off of close to effortlessly so that you can feel comfortable locking up the bike and not the expensive motor when you run an errand like grocery shopping, or commute to where you have to leave your bike locked to a rack or such all day long?

Seriously, I'd probably own a cheapish $700 eBike from Amazon for my 3.5 mile residential street commute by now except for the fact that cheap isn't cheap if it gets stolen in the first few weeks, as is possible. If I can mount a Onemotor system on my Diamondback, and lose my Diamondback to theft (without the motor mounted), Walmart here I come for the next bike....as long as I still have the Onemotor.

It does look like shipping is imminent this time. I'm looking forward to hearing user reports and seeing user videos.

Brian
Well, the box says on/off in 5 seconds...we'll see. As i see it the steps now are (1) detach motor, (2) bring it back towards the battery and retract cable, (3) attach to main unit, (4) remove entire unit. Or, maybe you can't attach the motor while the battery is on the frame, so you would reverse the steps and remove battery, move forward to motor and remove motor and attach. Could I do that in 5 seconds? I doubt it, but I could probably do it in 20 seconds (which is how long it takes to fold my folding bike). Both brackets remain on the bike. I can live with that. I'm backer #38 and have not received an invoice yet, which is supposed to come a week or so before shipping. Fingers crossed for no later than end of March.

Well, the box says on/off in 5 seconds...we'll see. As i see it the steps now are (1) detach motor, (2) bring it back towards the battery and retract cable, (3) attach to main unit, (4) remove entire unit. Or, maybe you can't attach the motor while the battery is on the frame, so you would reverse the steps and remove battery, move forward to motor and remove motor and attach. Could I do that in 5 seconds? I doubt it, but I could probably do it in 20 seconds (which is how long it takes to fold my folding bike). Both brackets remain on the bike. I can live with that. I'm backer #38 and have not received an invoice yet, which is supposed to come a week or so before shipping. Fingers crossed for no later than end of March.
The cable detaching is the longest procedure, it depends on the bike too. Look at it from the bright point: the longer it takes, the harder job for the thief.
Shipping will take a bit longer than end of March I think , seemingly due to some tweaks. Not end of the world, I'd say. ...

When is the last time that Jeff kept his word regarding a deliverable to the Indiegogo backers? Never? Does sending out emails count?

Jeff, the back half of January March has come and [almost] gone (as have so, so many of your promises). STOP putting out fake dates or guesses as to when something might happen. Wait until it happens and THEN deliver the news. [Example: "We have shipped out the first ten units" rather than "We will send out the first ten units tomorrow."]

When is the last time that Jeff kept his word regarding a deliverable to the Indiegogo backers? Never? Does sending out emails count?

Jeff, the back half of January March has come and [almost] gone (as have so, so many of your promises). STOP putting out fake dates or guesses as to when something might happen. Wait until it happens and THEN deliver the news. [Example: "We have shipped out the first ten units" rather than "We will send out the first ten units tomorrow."]

Communications and marketing are definitely not his strengths, which is unfortunate because it really impacts whether this will catch on or not. If I were him I'd start with changing the following (in addition to giving realistic timelines and release dates):

- Redesign the logo. His current logo says, "I made this in MS Paint"
- Don't barf out every last feature on the main page of the website. He's trying to make it look simple, but to the newcomer it's information overload. So much visual noise... you have logos and text and animated gifs and other weird icons, and slideshows... and it scrolls for forever. I can tell that in his mind he's thinking, "I need to list every last detail". You don't.
- The video is cheap and likely home made. At least pay a couple film students $1000 to make something more interesting. Look at the competition:
. Rubbee X Cool factor = 10 now. Onemotor = 2.
- Don't show demos of the app on a Blackberry.
- Don't need a video on the main page showing how OneMotor sounds. Anyone concerned about that is interested enough to dig or ask or read an FAQ.

Ok enough free advice for the day :)

Release the product, Jeff!!

Communications and marketing are definitely not his strengths, which is unfortunate because it really impacts whether this will catch on or not. If I were him I'd start with changing the following (in addition to giving realistic timelines and release dates):

- Don't barf out every last feature on the main page of the website. He's trying to make it look simple, but to the newcomer it's information overload. So much visual noise... you have logos and text and animated gifs and other weird icons, and slideshows... and it scrolls for forever. I can tell that in his mind he's thinking, "I need to list every last detail". You don't.
- The video is cheap and likely home made. At least pay a couple film students $1000 to make something more interesting. Look at the competition:
- Don't need a video on the main page showing how OneMotor sounds. Anyone concerned about that is interested enough to dig or ask or read an FAQ.

You've made some good points but it's not realistic to expect crowdfunding developers to be engineers/scientists/marketing gurus/web designers, etc. etc. I suspect any $ he has is in the product and rent for production space and staff. Hopefully, once it's out there, EBR and other sites will review it (positively) and generate some business for it. Then, he can hire folks to help him upgrade the imagery, etc. I do think the video with sound of the motor is properly placed - the #1 objection to friction drives has always been the whining noise they generate. As I looked at other friction options, if they didn't have video of the noise, I just passed instantly. Also I'm not entirely sure the market for this is "newcomers" to e-bike kits. They've probably never even heard of friction drives, being familiar with hub motors and possibly mid-drives as they are most common. But I suspect Jeff is still figuring all of this out and will appreciate any input =).

One Motor

Hi everyone, I just picked up and installed my new one motor electric bike friction drive unit on Saturday and was most favorably impressed . It worked way better that I had ever thought possible and more then lives up to its promise.

It’s an amazingly well thought out device with what I can see will take me a while to figure out how to use , although on the other hand, I left Jeff Guido’s Studio, got right on my bike, and without any problems ebiked it all the way through Manhattan from the Wall Street area to the upper west side , roughly 6 or so miles through Streets, Bike paths, Parks and traffic for a fantastically enjoyable ride on a beautiful Spring day.

I think I went through what a lot of other people on this forum wrote about in that I purchased the one one motor unit on the very first day I received Jeff’s initial email, October 12 of last year. I too thought I would get it in the 6 to 8 weeks that had been initially stated and went through frustration and impatience and even doubt as the time stretched on. I was buoyed by Grace’s many wonderful email updates and her obvious decency and sincerity clearly came through her writings and continually reassured me so that at some point I just had the strong thought that it really didn’t matter when I got the unit as long as I got it eventually.

Well, Ladies and Gentleman , I got it ! And now that my long wait has finally ended and now that I finally have the one motor in my hands I can honestly say that had I known how fantastic this device would be that I wouldn’t have minded waiting twice as long as I did.

The installation went smoothly and easily although in all honesty i can’t take any credit for that as Jeff pretty much did the whole thing with the exception of my handing him a bolt or a tool that fell to the floor from time to time. None the less, watching Jeff put it all together I could see that once you figured out what went where, it was really an exceptionally easy process.

I have to say, one thing that strikes me as significant and important about the One Motor is that, as Jeff wrote to me in an email

“ I sometimes have worried that I made the product to complex. That people didn’t want or need all the features I built into it, and that I should have instead just built something simpler and less functional... “

Well, personally I like being treated as an intelligent human being and I appreciate a product that rather then being dumbed down for me to use without thinking,instead let’s me grow and reach and strive to master, not unlike any computer or tool or vehicle that requires a learning curve to use.

You can increase or decrease power levels with much more information, then most ebikes, throughly monitor battery levels, cadence, lighting and more and

I just got the unit two days ago and I’m still figuring out all that it does. But the thing is that the OM is designed to be an intelligent, but not difficult electric bike based on a practical and through understanding of what a biker needs and wants and uses.

The way that I got into all this was that I first purchased an electric Brompton bike from NYCE wheels ( who mysteriously closed their doors and vanished into the night a few months ago) . It’s a 3 speed Brompton with the crystalyte hub motor replacing the front wheel. I’ve really enjoyed riding it but with the motor and the battery and this that and the other thing the weight crept up into the mid to high 40 lb plus range. As a senior citizen living in a walkup building (stairs only, no elevator) this was an important consideration for me and it wasn’t so easy for me to just grab the bike and run out the door, I need to really brace myself for the climb up or down and it’s not an easy thing for me to do.

At some point I thought it would be helpful to just get a plain non electric light weight bicycle that I could easily walk out the door with and just as easily carry back upstairs.

OK, so I found a used brompton S 2 for a reasonable price and started using that however, despite the increased ease that I had in getting my bike to and from the street, once I was there I realized that of course peddling an electric bike is obviously and of course far far easier then peddling a non electric bike.

So after a while I started thinking about a light weight friction motor and actually tried to contact several companies that seemed to carry them but they were based in Asia and non of them even wrote back to me.

After sometime I received an email offering the One Motor and I purchased it right away that day and then of course with the previously discussed extra long wait to receive it. Anyway, what’s done is done and if I got mad at everybody who wasn’t on time I would be angry at half the human race. So what if it took a little longer then I thought it would and as I wrote to Grace in one email, it was wintertime anyway and I wasn’t planning to go out bicycling in 35 degree weather !

It’s much quieter than I thought it would be and the peddle assist ( which I don’t have on the crystalyte ebike ) works smoothly and efficiently and reminds me of way over a half century ago when as a boy I was learning to ride a bike for the very first time. My father would run behind me and hold me from loosing my balance and falling over while also give me little gentle pushes from time to time until one day I looked back and realized that I was peddling on my own !

That’s the type of feeling I get when the One Motor kicks in and just gently pushes me forward and for a split second i almost imagine that I feel weightless and I’m flying on my bike. Oh me oh my, maybe I’m slipping into my second childhood here, are people allowed to do that on electric bike forums ?

I also really like that the bike is still a bike with normal wheels, and how you can so easily slip the one motor unit on and off and although I can easily fold up my Brompton and take it with me if I had a regular sized bike I could lock up the bike and in seconds take off the one motor unit and just put it into a back pack or just carry it as everything simply snaps together using strong and long lasting magnets. It’s really cleverly designed and just seems so easy to use despite having layers and layers of subtle complexities

Well, I suppose I’ll have more to say about this later as I use the one motor in the weeks, months and years ahead

I think this will definitely fill a niche in the electric bicycle world and this is one of those times in life where I’m so happy that I hung in there and waited. I guess I thought that I would get something puny and noisy and that would barely equal my hub motor ebike but I figured if it was light weight enough I could use it locally to get around in my neighborhood and that I could use the crystalyte unit for longer trips like biking to Brooklyn to see my grandson. After 10 minutes on the One Motor I surprised myself by thinking that I might sell the crystalyte and just use the one motor for all my biking needs, both near and far . It’s far exceeded my expectations and who would have thought that a lowly friction drive unit would be equal or surpass the electric bike hub wheel, the king of the ebike world . Well, news flash, the king is dead, long live the lowly friction drive ! Unless someone invents an anti gravity, flying bike I think this is going to be at the forefront of ebike evolution for years and even decades to come. So thanks again Jeff, you really aced it with this one or should I say with this one motor.

One Motor

Hi everyone, I just picked up and installed my new one motor electric bike friction drive unit on Saturday and was most favorably impressed . It worked way better that I had ever thought possible and more then lives up to its promise.

It’s an amazingly well thought out device with what I can see will take me a while to figure out how to use , although on the other hand, I left Jeff Guido’s Studio, got right on my bike, and without any problems ebiked it all the way through Manhattan from the Wall Street area to the upper west side , roughly 6 or so miles through Streets, Bike paths, Parks and traffic for a fantastically enjoyable ride on a beautiful Spring day.

I think I went through what a lot of other people on this forum wrote about in that I purchased the one one motor unit on the very first day I received Jeff’s initial email, October 12 of last year. I too thought I would get it in the 6 to 8 weeks that had been initially stated and went through frustration and impatience and even doubt as the time stretched on. I was buoyed by Grace’s many wonderful email updates and her obvious decency and sincerity clearly came through her writings and continually reassured me so that at some point I just had the strong thought that it really didn’t matter when I got the unit as long as I got it eventually.

Well, Ladies and Gentleman , I got it ! And now that my long wait has finally ended and now that I finally have the one motor in my hands I can honestly say that had I known how fantastic this device would be that I wouldn’t have minded waiting twice as long as I did.

The installation went smoothly and easily although in all honesty i can’t take any credit for that as Jeff pretty much did the whole thing with the exception of my handing him a bolt or a tool that fell to the floor from time to time. None the less, watching Jeff put it all together I could see that once you figured out what went where, it was really an exceptionally easy process.

I have to say, one thing that strikes me as significant and important about the One Motor is that, as Jeff wrote to me in an email

“ I sometimes have worried that I made the product to complex. That people didn’t want or need all the features I built into it, and that I should have instead just built something simpler and less functional... “

Well, personally I like being treated as an intelligent human being and I appreciate a product that rather then being dumbed down for me to use without thinking,instead let’s me grow and reach and strive to master, not unlike any computer or tool or vehicle that requires a learning curve to use.

You can increase or decrease power levels with much more information, then most ebikes, throughly monitor battery levels, cadence, lighting and more and

I just got the unit two days ago and I’m still figuring out all that it does. But the thing is that the OM is designed to be an intelligent, but not difficult electric bike based on a practical and through understanding of what a biker needs and wants and uses.

The way that I got into all this was that I first purchased an electric Brompton bike from NYCE wheels ( who mysteriously closed their doors and vanished into the night a few months ago) . It’s a 3 speed Brompton with the crystalyte hub motor replacing the front wheel. I’ve really enjoyed riding it but with the motor and the battery and this that and the other thing the weight crept up into the mid to high 40 lb plus range. As a senior citizen living in a walkup building (stairs only, no elevator) this was an important consideration for me and it wasn’t so easy for me to just grab the bike and run out the door, I need to really brace myself for the climb up or down and it’s not an easy thing for me to do.

At some point I thought it would be helpful to just get a plain non electric light weight bicycle that I could easily walk out the door with and just as easily carry back upstairs.

OK, so I found a used brompton S 2 for a reasonable price and started using that however, despite the increased ease that I had in getting my bike to and from the street, once I was there I realized that of course peddling an electric bike is obviously and of course far far easier then peddling a non electric bike.

So after a while I started thinking about a light weight friction motor and actually tried to contact several companies that seemed to carry them but they were based in Asia and non of them even wrote back to me.

After sometime I received an email offering the One Motor and I purchased it right away that day and then of course with the previously discussed extra long wait to receive it. Anyway, what’s done is done and if I got mad at everybody who wasn’t on time I would be angry at half the human race. So what if it took a little longer then I thought it would and as I wrote to Grace in one email, it was wintertime anyway and I wasn’t planning to go out bicycling in 35 degree weather !

It’s much quieter than I thought it would be and the peddle assist ( which I don’t have on the crystalyte ebike ) works smoothly and efficiently and reminds me of way over a half century ago when as a boy I was learning to ride a bike for the very first time. My father would run behind me and hold me from loosing my balance and falling over while also give me little gentle pushes from time to time until one day I looked back and realized that I was peddling on my own !

That’s the type of feeling I get when the One Motor kicks in and just gently pushes me forward and for a split second i almost imagine that I feel weightless and I’m flying on my bike. Oh me oh my, maybe I’m slipping into my second childhood here, are people allowed to do that on electric bike forums ?

I also really like that the bike is still a bike with normal wheels, and how you can so easily slip the one motor unit on and off and although I can easily fold up my Brompton and take it with me if I had a regular sized bike I could lock up the bike and in seconds take off the one motor unit and just put it into a back pack or just carry it as everything simply snaps together using strong and long lasting magnets. It’s really cleverly designed and just seems so easy to use despite having layers and layers of subtle complexities

Well, I suppose I’ll have more to say about this later as I use the one motor in the weeks, months and years ahead

I think this will definitely fill a niche in the electric bicycle world and this is one of those times in life where I’m so happy that I hung in there and waited. I guess I thought that I would get something puny and noisy and that would barely equal my hub motor ebike but I figured if it was light weight enough I could use it locally to get around in my neighborhood and that I could use the crystalyte unit for longer trips like biking to Brooklyn to see my grandson. After 10 minutes on the One Motor I surprised myself by thinking that I might sell the crystalyte and just use the one motor for all my biking needs, both near and far . It’s far exceeded my expectations and who would have thought that a lowly friction drive unit would be equal or surpass the electric bike hub wheel, the king of the ebike world . Well, news flash, the king is dead, long live the lowly friction drive ! Unless someone invents an anti gravity, flying bike I think this is going to be at the forefront of ebike evolution for years and even decades to come. So thanks again Jeff, you really aced it with this one or should I say with this one motor.
Great report on the first ride with your Onemotor Josh. All the best with your bike plans and to everyone in NY. Sounds great. As a backer I am now more excited than ever that I will be riding round London, Paris and Berlin with my Onemotor fitted, and just taking it with me on a bus or train when I want. Andrew, UK.

Thanks for the link to the Rubbee X fundraiser video. It looks like a remarkable and impressive unit. I am glad though that, by comparison, the Onemotor will allow me to have a panier frame and mudguard fitted permanently to my back wheel. Also, while I see your point about dynamic marketing, I would rather have more factual information than all of the music and snappy editing. It's a subjective thing of course, but I found the Rubbee X clip a bit old fashioned, though as I said, clearly a great device. Hopefully Onemotor promotional material will develop with genuinre real-world customer reviews which will be by far the best way to promote. Your comments were useful though. Cheers, Andrew.

Back