ShareRoller - Quick and Dirty Electric Bikes

I can't recall having seen any BMS mentioned (battery charger, protection, ...) as yet, the point important as we in our ignorance contribute a lot to the speedy degrade of its lifetime.

I found this reference in an earlier update, but Jeff hasn't given any details as it appears to be custom:
  • Battery Packs: Below is a picture of a production prototype pack being assembled by our supplier - the BMS board has yet to be installed, hence the gap between the cells and the retracting battery cable (also a sample).
So it has a BMS of unknown flavor...proprietary design.
1537632723866.png

So, have the devices been shipped? How do they work???

Nope. Requested upgrade/accessory info a couple weeks ago. I haven't been invoiced for my upgrade yet, so I'm a little worried about another delay. Hopefully, we will get an update soon =).

Thanks Lin. How about the charger and the charging port?
Another delay is obviously imminent, I believe it can't be that long.

I didn't find anything about the charger/port but it's probably the same as the original shareroller. I say that just because Jeff hasn't said anything about it (that I can find) so it probably isn't "improved". It still has the USB port one can use to charge a cell phone but I didn't see any info on unit charging. Hopefully, the next update will include a lot more details and perhaps firm shipping info. Fingers crossed.

Patent status for
Applicant: ShareRoller LLC
Inventor: Jeffrey E. Guida

as of 9/24/2018.
Three patents, one patent pending.

Adaptable fastening mechanisms for various sized tubing
Patent number: 10054141
Filed: October 19, 2016
Date of Patent: August 21, 2018
671 days – about 22 months

Automatic traction control for friction drives
Patent number: 10005518
Filed: August 8, 2016
Date of Patent: June 26, 2018
687 days – about 23 months

Portable multi-platform friction drive system with retractable motor drive assembly
Patent number: 9758214
Filed: February 7, 2015
Date of Patent: September 12, 2017
948 days – about 32 months

FRICTION DRIVE WITH SPEED WHEEL AND AUTOMATIC TRACTION CONTROL
Publication number: 20180072381
Filed: November 15, 2017
Publication date: March 15, 2018
313 days so far – about 10 months so far
671 days after the Filed date would be in September, 2019.

Awhile back I bet my wife a nickel that my Shareroller would arrive before the 3rd anniversary date of when I "ordered" it.
11 more days and I will lose more money on this venture unless Jeff comes through.
What are the chances that my nickel is safe?

Awhile back I bet my wife a nickel that my Shareroller would arrive before the 3rd anniversary date of when I "ordered" it.
11 more days and I will lose more money on this venture unless Jeff comes through.
What are the chances that my nickel is safe?

Well, after we got the requests for accessories/updating I was very optimistic. It's been awfully quiet lately, though. Hoping for an update soon; worried he got hammered on tariffs. On the bright side, with recent inflation, you won't really be losing 5 cents, lol.

NEW UPDATE went out this morning. Check out their new page (click pre-orders on top menu to see pricing). https://onemotor.co The product looks AMAZING! And one of my concerns, the noise from friction drives which can be a very loud whine, is hardly noticeable. Probably won't be heard at all if riding in traffic; that's a huge improvement. I was concerned about the tariffs and apparently Jeff had to change some things around as a result, so he says one more month to shipping backers. Based on what I see on the new page I'm more than happy to wait. I did notice a couple things: the battery cable has a magnetic attachment (how cool is that!) and he said the mount prices are dropping.

Last edited:
Here is the update about the ShareRoller, now called OneMotor:

Hello ShareRoller Indiegogo backer:

We have exciting news! At long last, we have officially LAUNCHED the all-new ShareRoller SR4, which we have rechristened:

ONEMOTOR

Once all final production 'polishing' was completed in August and remaining component production had begun, we (and our Investors) concluded that it was high time for us to offer ONEMOTOR Pre-Orders to the world beyond our Indiegogo family. We're ready for the next stage: turning ShareRoller into a Company that delivers thousands of ONEMOTORs a year to excited customers ready to transform their Personal Mobility experience.

So over the past 6 weeks, our team spent hundreds of hours conducting photo and video shoots, filtering and editing down thousands of images, and building what we think is one of the most informative product websites in our sector (and beyond). And it had to be, as ONEMOTOR is one of the most sophisticated and unbelievably versatile products in the E-Bike world to-date.

So have a look at all the glorious detail in our new website - we sincerely hope you love what you see!

https://onemotor.co/

And once you've seen the site, you'll probably not be surprised to hear that getting all of this done has taken way more of our team's time than we anticipated. And as you've likely read, surprise new US tariffs have recently come into effect, with batteries and motors among the groups targeted. As a result, we've had to do some 'rejiggering' of our supply chain in order to minimize the impact.

So on account of all this, we've had to shift our production plans from when we last wrote, and it's going to take us another month to get everything ready to start shipping. But please rest assured that delivering the very first batch of the groundbreaking ONEMOTOR to our original Backers is our overriding priority from here on out, and it is within sight.

Also, we have received most of the completed Google Forms from our Backers, but if any of you still have to complete/modify it, please do so as soon as possible. Also note that we've been able to lower some of the mount prices from the preliminary prices shown in the Form, so you will receive the newer pricing as per onemotor.co. We will be sending out Invoices for any additional funds owed next week.

Please let us know what you think of the new ONEMOTOR site, and feel free to reach out with any further questions on mounts and accessories.

Thank you again for your patience and support.

Jeff Guida & The ShareRoller Team

Here is the update about the ShareRoller, now called OneMotor:

Hello ShareRoller Indiegogo backer:

We have exciting news! At long last, we have officially LAUNCHED the all-new ShareRoller SR4, which we have rechristened:

ONEMOTOR

Once all final production 'polishing' was completed in August and remaining component production had begun, we (and our Investors) concluded that it was high time for us to offer ONEMOTOR Pre-Orders to the world beyond our Indiegogo family. We're ready for the next stage: turning ShareRoller into a Company that delivers thousands of ONEMOTORs a year to excited customers ready to transform their Personal Mobility experience.

So over the past 6 weeks, our team spent hundreds of hours conducting photo and video shoots, filtering and editing down thousands of images, and building what we think is one of the most informative product websites in our sector (and beyond). And it had to be, as ONEMOTOR is one of the most sophisticated and unbelievably versatile products in the E-Bike world to-date.

So have a look at all the glorious detail in our new website - we sincerely hope you love what you see!

https://onemotor.co/

And once you've seen the site, you'll probably not be surprised to hear that getting all of this done has taken way more of our team's time than we anticipated. And as you've likely read, surprise new US tariffs have recently come into effect, with batteries and motors among the groups targeted. As a result, we've had to do some 'rejiggering' of our supply chain in order to minimize the impact.

So on account of all this, we've had to shift our production plans from when we last wrote, and it's going to take us another month to get everything ready to start shipping. But please rest assured that delivering the very first batch of the groundbreaking ONEMOTOR to our original Backers is our overriding priority from here on out, and it is within sight.

Also, we have received most of the completed Google Forms from our Backers, but if any of you still have to complete/modify it, please do so as soon as possible. Also note that we've been able to lower some of the mount prices from the preliminary prices shown in the Form, so you will receive the newer pricing as per onemotor.co. We will be sending out Invoices for any additional funds owed next week.

Please let us know what you think of the new ONEMOTOR site, and feel free to reach out with any further questions on mounts and accessories.

Thank you again for your patience and support.

Jeff Guida & The ShareRoller Team

So is anyone on here buying into the pre-orders? Or are you waiting to see how it turns out? Or just moving in a different direction? Curious, now that it seems to be coming to fruition.

Service policies I had been waiting to see finalized:
  1. 6 month warranty on a ~$1500 item
  2. 20% restocking fee for returns, so ~$300 to try it out and see if it works for your expected use
  3. No OEM extended warranty available
These are kind of a bummer for me, particularly since riding season is winding down in New England and a pre-ordered kit will be out of warranty before next summer.

I'll be staying away from the preorder and reading reviews over the winter, possibly ordering come next spring.

Service policies I had been waiting to see finalized:
  1. 6 month warranty on a ~$1500 item
  2. 20% restocking fee for returns, so ~$300 to try it out and see if it works for your expected use
  3. No OEM extended warranty available
These are kind of a bummer for me, particularly since riding season is winding down in New England and a pre-ordered kit will be out of warranty before next summer.

I'll be staying away from the preorder and reading reviews over the winter, possibly ordering come next spring.

If you're heading in to winter, that makes total sense. Actually it makes sense, anyway, if you don't need it right away. You might consider asking Jeff if you could prepay now to get the discount with delivery set sometime next year (starting the warranty clock) and still retain the right to cancel; he might do it since it gets him some capital now. If it makes financial sense in your situation to do that...
The restocking fee is pretty normal. I'm not familiar with any e bike kit manufacturer who offers an extended warranty - but check your credit card as many double the warranty on items purchased in full with their card. Now - the 6 month warranty.....that's a bit of a concern. Most manufacturers warranty their parts/labor for 1 or some even 2 years, with a shorter warranty on their battery. Again, use the right credit card, and you can extend it to a full year. One of the positives, imo, is that if you need to send it in for service (warrantied or not) it is super easy to ship (just detach batteries) compared to something like a kit with a wheel/motor or even a Superpedestrian style unit. Probably fit in a USPS Priority Mail box. So hopefully the shorter warranty will be okay with the cheap cost to ship for repair, and hopefully repairs (if needed) are inexpensive. Jeff said somewhere the urethane belt is user replaceable, so the major wear part is covered. Anyway, I promise I will write up a review every two months once I get mine (obviously short if nothing has changed down the road) so you guys have some real life info to use in your decisions. Hopefully other backers will do so,too, as usage can vary.

I have trouble understanding why one would pre-pay and pre-order with so many delays. Why not wait till a product comes out and buy it then?

I have trouble understanding why one would pre-pay and pre-order with so many delays. Why not wait till a product comes out and buy it then?
There is a monetary discount for pre-ordering (around 10-15%). And there is the possibility of longer wait times, even past next summer, if you wait for available retail. Since there is no penalty for canceling at any time, the only downside is your $ is tied up not earning anything. If you get cold feet, you can cancel and get a full refund. I'm a backer so it doesn't appy to me but if I were not, I would probably pre-order since there is no risk.

What does it mean to be a backer?

This product launched via crowdfunding on IndieGogo. People who purchased a unit through the crowdfunding are "backers" and will receive the first products off the line before it goes to pre-order then retail. it's been a looooong road but it is finally going to pay off for those who paid 3+ years ago.

Yes, there is a big discount if you buy it as pre-order. I just ordered one, the OneMotor team is incredibly helpful, knowledgeable, communicative - which is the cream of the best product for bike accessories. I'm proud to be the owner of such a promising produce

It looks really good, but it's entering the cold season in New England and there's no user reviews and it's too costly in my opinion. He probably needs higher volumes to get his costs down.

I'm also concerned that he hasn't got the tech press to pick up on it (at least as far as my own searching tells me) and he constantly extends the pre-order pricing deadline. This all may reflect low interest. I also highly doubt he'll be shipping out devices to backers as a first priority, it doesn't make financial sense.

One anecdote: In the video, if you pause at 0:48, you can see that he's used a color replace tool to disguise the Citi bike (that and the paper that is taped over the branding). The Citi Bike blue appears momentarily around his hand.

I've always wondered what the whole story was with Citi Bike and other bikeshares he approached. That's how the whole thing started and I figure his pivot away from the bike share market had to do with rejection by the operators. It's a shame because I feel like this is the perfect application for so many. I suppose though the personal bike market is larger, but it also has many more options.

It looks really good, but it's entering the cold season in New England and there's no user reviews and it's too costly in my opinion. He probably needs higher volumes to get his costs down.

I'm also concerned that he hasn't got the tech press to pick up on it (at least as far as my own searching tells me) and he constantly extends the pre-order pricing deadline. This all may reflect low interest. I also highly doubt he'll be shipping out devices to backers as a first priority, it doesn't make financial sense.

One anecdote: In the video, if you pause at 0:48, you can see that he's used a color replace tool to disguise the Citi bike (that and the paper that is taped over the branding). The Citi Bike blue appears momentarily around his hand.

I've always wondered what the whole story was with Citi Bike and other bikeshares he approached. That's how the whole thing started and I figure his pivot away from the bike share market had to do with rejection by the operators. It's a shame because I feel like this is the perfect application for so many. I suppose though the personal bike market is larger, but it also has many more options.

I think he used Citi Bike in his campaign without permission so they made a stink about it. At the time of the first iteration, no share bikes were electric so I get their hesitancy to permit adding a device to share bikes. Now Jump and Lime and everyone have e-bike shares out there, so perhaps some of the share bike companies will rethink their position on this (or they will consider it competition and stick to their position). Devices have not shipped yet. I have not yet been billed for my accessories/addon purchase. Every communication I have received clearly indicates backers will be shipped first and I have faith that will be the case. Yes, there was a lot more marketing buzz around SR the first time around but this isn't Jeff's first rodeo ( he also markets the Bromfoot) so I suspect he's pretty clear on what he is doing. I certainly hope this device sells well - partly from the selfish interest of wanting parts/service available, and partly because I think any crowdfunding developer who actually delivers on their promise deserves success. So many just screw over the backers and take the money and run.

Back