Seeking advice - Cranking force required for Bionx D series motor

Easyrider

I have recently installed a Bionx D series motor with a G2 console on my handcycle but due to my lack of arm strength (I have quadriplegia) I am finding it very difficult to apply sufficient force onto the cranks to get the motor to kick in without my arms fatiguing rapidly.

I have adjusted the settings to what appears the most sensitive for the motor to activate:
0007 - strain gauge gain set to 4
0008 - Gain assist set to 4
0009 - Strain gauge sensitivity set to 0
1234 - strain gauge filter set to F+++

I was wondering if there is another adjustment that can be made to make the motor activate with very little force applied through the cranks to the torque sensor?

Is it at all possible to install a cadence sensor to have the motor engage with the cadence of the cranks?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi JayVee, I have adjusted the setting to 0.5 km/hr. I have recently been made aware that the torque collar hasn't been installed at the correct angle which will have an effect on the sensitivity of the torque sensor, so I'm hoping this will sole my problem.

Thanks for your help

I have adjusted the settings to what appears the most sensitive for the motor to activate:
0007 - strain gauge gain set to 4
0008 - Gain assist set to 4
0009 - Strain gauge sensitivity set to 0
1234 - strain gauge filter set to F+++

It's rarely a good idea to use all parameters at their extrem settings.

Rather start in the middle and.

0007: 2.0 (which is significantly higher than what you would use on a normal bike)
0008a: 2.0 (0008b irrelevant)
1234: 3 (higher numbers will not help you, it will just force the motor to "pulse"), even 2 or 1 could be better for weaker persons. You have to try that...
3779: (Boost) start at 10, but maybe you want to go higher (maximum = 16)

Back