Second back flat tire

Good to know... Thanks!
When home I've always used alcohol to clean the tube before I apply glue.

As Slime is water based, that would (should?) work fine.

I'm from the "for what they cost, just replace the tube" camp so I don't have any experience there.

I'm from the "for what they cost, just replace the tube" camp so I don't have any experience there.

I agree. My first choice in fixing a flat on the trail is to replace the punctured tube with a Gaadi style split tube without removing the rear wheel. I also carry a regular tube in case of a second flat on the same ride. I carry the patch kit as a last resort.

Has anyone experimented with using the Automotive-grade aerosol Slime? The comments indicate it works in bike tires. ;)

I didn't read thru all the components but in my opinion if you are going to use Slime I would rather have it in the tire already installed at home than carry the automotive aerosol around with me.

Well sometimes you get such a small hole in a new tube that you need to submerge it in water to find it.
Being of the school of not wasting, minimizing landfill contributions and that tire patches work so well I don't mind patching a tube at home and then carrying it around as my emergency replacement for on the road. I've never had a patch fail.
My current tube is 6 months old with 4 patches 🙃
But now I'm a Slimey Tuff guy 💪

That's the concept behind Slime. Right now I have too much invested in tires, tubes and such that fit my bike. If/when I get a new bike I might consider going tubeless. But from what I understand, that can have its downside as well.

That's the concept behind Slime. Right now I have too much invested in tires, tubes and such that fit my bike. If/when I get a new bike I might consider going tubeless. But from what I understand, that can have its downside as well.
Modern tubeless systems are becoming standard on upper end MTBs and eMTBs. My MTBing sons swear my them; fewer 'nusiance' flats, lighter wheels, and the ability to run at very low pressures without 'snake bite' flats. But they'll be among the first to explain that no practical bicycle tire is puncture proof. After making the investment in tubeless, they still carry flat kits and tubeless plug kits. The tubeless plugs are usually enough to fix anything the sealant can't, but occassionally they're trail side with a flat that needs a tube and a tire boot to get home. They tell me it takes quite a bit of time to remove all the thorns, bits of glass, etc that the sealant covered before putting in the tube. Then out comes the pump or CO2 and off they go again.

Everything considered, they're all in with tubeless. I don't do MTBs, so the thorn strips/tire liners are enough for me. Haven't had a flat on our mechs in 2 years. 1,000 miles and counting on my ebike.

Ride On!

Though my bike is a mountain, I ride mostly paved and prefer higher pressures.
It more a factor of bad knees and not having the strength to lift off the seat for every bumb... So I appreciate the edge taken off of things by the basic suspension.
I really don't see the point in my situation to incur the extra cost of upgrading to tubeless.
Prior to this recent run of flats I believe that I went close to a year without a flat... And that was a slow leak fixed at home.
I'll say it again... Have no fear!! Slimey Tuff_guy in the house now! 💪

One other last thought to the OP and other newer folks: if you got your bike in a box via FedEx like a ton of us, they tend to ship with low PSI in the tires so they can squish them into the boxes. They may actually come out of the box looking inflated but are on the low side ... and you might not even notice this until you get your first pinch flat. Check your pressures and if you're not running on a ton of soft stuff, a higher pressure will fight off a pinch flat better at the cost of some footprint.

Flats can happen at anytime or anywhere, and the rear tire carries a lot more weight. i’s worth getting good puncture resistant tires along with liners. i also carry a repair kit, along with a small pump, co 2 cartridges and a two ended tube by Huffy. I also carry a small can of fix a flat. Most riders will laugh at me and say way overkill. My theory is that if someone is in need, I put myself in their place. Kindness is a ripple in the pond.

Flats can happen at anytime or anywhere, and the rear tire carries a lot more weight. i’s worth getting good puncture resistant tires along with liners. i also carry a repair kit, along with a small pump, co 2 cartridges and a two ended tube by Huffy. I also carry a small can of fix a flat. Most riders will laugh at me and say way overkill. My theory is that if someone is in need, I put myself in their place. Kindness is a ripple in the pond.
Hi, this may sound daft, but what are tyre liners please, I understand the meaning but how do they work?

A tyre liner is "a helmet for your tyres".
Good read here:

I don't need to use it (there are clean roads in Poland) but many users in other parts -- constantly irritated with punctures -- have invested in Tannus Armour. Note: It is not the easiest thing to install.

Last edited:
Good read here:

I don't need to use it (there are clean roads in Poland) but many users in other parts -- constantly irritated with punctures -- have invested in Tannus Armor. Note: It is not the easiest thing to install.
Many thanks for replying, I will probably just carry on fixing as needed, it doesn’t really bother me, gives my bottom a rest while fixing. 😁

For several ebike enthusiasts on this forum Tannus Armour is the accepted 'way to go'.

Remember, please, that they are puncture-reducing liners, not 'solid' airless tyres for which punctures are irrelevant.

Any tyre that you have to pump up will be able to go down. (And have the malicious personality to do so at the most inopportune time?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good read here:

I don't need to use it (there are clean roads in Poland) but many users in other parts -- constantly irritated with punctures -- have invested in Tannus Armour. Note: It is not the easiest thing to install.
Unfortunately, as an experienced cyclist, I'm not a fan of Tannus due to the lack of road feel. YMMV. ;)
I'll stick with tube/tubeless for road/mtn respectively along with carrying a combination inflator & sealant.

Back