RX or RX Pro - would you switch?

keninvic

I am in a dilemma - was going to get the RX Pro, but maybe I really don't need a fat bike, and am thinking the RX is a better match. You guys with the RX Pro, do you have any regrets getting the Pro? do you think the RX would suit you better now?
I live in Victoria, BC - it is very unlikely that I would ever be riding in snow, and I would not be riding on sand. There are lots of bicycle paths, both paved and dirt, but I already have a road bike for that. I am interested in a MTB type ebike for non technical trails and gravel roads, and there are lots of hills where I will be riding. I am 5'9 and 165 lbs.

edit: interesting, if you toggle between these two photos, you will see that the frame on the Pro is noticeably smaller, the height is the same cause of the big tires.

Your thoughts?

Attachments

• Rize RX Pro.jpg
    Rize RX Pro.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 716
  • Rize RX.jpg
    Rize RX.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 816
Last edited:
I've never ridden a MTB and am coming from a roadbike 700c wheels to the RX PRO with 4" Fat Tires. I wanted to go in the other direction and experience the other end of the spectrum. I was in the same position as you prior to ordering..questioning if I should go with the smaller tires, and bouncing back and forth in making my decision. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I just took my RX Pro for the hardiest test yet yesterday across some Gravel/ Fire Roads and single track here in Southern California...as a newbie whose never been out off pavement I was glad to have the bigger tires. There were some spots where there was rocks/waterway where I had to cross where I had trepidation as I've never tried to boulder over just rocks, the first few I walked my bike over and then I just went for it and was able to barrel over. Trying to pedal 8 feet of 6 inch+ deep water is not something I'm used to especially when your driving over nothing but rocks...as a newbie I was glad to have the bigger tires. It helped in giving me confidence. On the way back I went over everything with no issue..just had to dip my toe in the water but my bike got hella dirty.

A side not when I was out on the single track I had 2 different kids tell me "You can't bring that bike out here". They must have been 8 years old. The bike functioned fine it was really just the newbie rider. There is a video on YT Ebike Noob where he takes his RX PRO on single track and gives it a pretty good thrashing. It handles absolutely fine...meaning the fatbike. If you're an experienced MTBer you might be fine with the smaller tires. At my age I'm looking for comfort so having big huge tires is a bonus.

If I had the smaller tires I don't think the kids would have been saying "You can't bring that bike here". I was the only "kid" with the big fat tires. Maybe they were jealous. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I had an absolute blast yesterday on the RX Pro with the fat tires..and I was blowing by the MTBers..not that's it's a race..but they always turn their head like WTH? They'll be out on ebikes too as well it's just a matter of time.

The RX Pro is a tank. I went out for one of my longest rides yesterday and I'm not beat up..and guess what I'm going out again in about an hour after it finishes charging and I clean up some of the dirt.

Either one is going to be awesome!

Last edited:
I use my RX Pro as a hybrid on/off road, with about 60% use on paved and hard packed trails. The rest is a cross section of everything else imaginable. I went into it knowing full well I would be switching the knobbies to a treaded pavement tire. 26"x4" Origin 8 street tires taught me about "self steering" which is a polite term for over steer in my experience. Not THAT big a deal, nothing that would lead to loss of control, but very apparent under some conditions. Still, messing with different tire pressures in the mid to high teens (20psi max), I was able to get most of that tendency dialed out. What I was not able to dial out was the feel, which was just like the knobbies, giving the bike a big heavy feel. So now I've switched to 26"x3" Kenda Flame tires . These feel much better, while offering about the same ride the 4" tires offer. Rolling resistance is much better too, as I find myself now riding in the next higher gear.

So, back to the question, RX or RX Pro, I think the better one will depend on where you're riding, and what you are riding on. How's that for a cop out? -Al

Oh thanks, you are really not helping, lol, it sounds to me like you would have been better off with the RX, cause you are trying to size it down. I was doing the opposite, looking at the options to increase the tire size on the RX, which ships with 27.5 x 2.35" with the max at 2.60, although I heard from a guy who is using 2.80 tires. From what I have read, you are not supposed to go down in width, the tire width should be 1.5 to max of 2.0 times the inside measurement of the wheel, what is the wheel width on the Pro?
You know I've changed tires twice, but was not smart enough to measure them when I could have. Sorry!

My old bike, which the wife has taken over, had 26x2" Marathons on it, and I loved everything about that bike - but I wanted to try the fat tire plan for a better ride. That bike seems like a compact now, and the new one an SUV. What I had not considered, was how tall these tires make the bike. Holy Cow! I'm 6'2" and I'm glad I orderd a medium sized bike! Even with the 3" tires on it, that's my biggest issue with it I think.

Point being, the RX with the bigger 27.5 rims, is still going to be a pretty big bike..... -Al

I use my RX Pro as a hybrid on/off road, with about 60% use on paved and hard packed trails. The rest is a cross section of everything else imaginable. I went into it knowing full well I would be switching the knobbies to a treaded pavement tire. 26"x4" Origin 8 street tires taught me about "self steering" which is a polite term for over steer in my experience. Not THAT big a deal, nothing that would lead to loss of control, but very apparent under some conditions. Still, messing with different tire pressures in the mid to high teens (20psi max), I was able to get most of that tendency dialed out. What I was not able to dial out was the feel, which was just like the knobbies, giving the bike a big heavy feel. So now I've switched to 26"x3" Kenda Flame tires . These feel much better, while offering about the same ride the 4" tires offer. Rolling resistance is much better too, as I find myself now riding in the next higher gear.

So, back to the question, RX or RX Pro, I think the better one will depend on where you're riding, and what you are riding on. How's that for a cop out? -Al
I've never ridden a MTB and am coming from a roadbike 700c wheels to the RX PRO with 4" Fat Tires. I wanted to go in the other direction and experience the other end of the spectrum. I was in the same position as you prior to ordering..questioning if I should go with the smaller tires, and bouncing back and forth in making my decision. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I just took my RX Pro for the hardiest test yet yesterday across some Gravel/ Fire Roads and single track here in Southern California...as a newbie whose never been out off pavement I was glad to have the bigger tires. There were some spots where there was rocks/waterway where I had to cross where I had trepidation as I've never tried to boulder over just rocks, the first few I walked my bike over and then I just went for it and was able to barrel over. Trying to pedal 8 feet of 6 inch+ deep water is not something I'm used to especially when your driving over nothing but rocks...as a newbie I was glad to have the bigger tires. It helped in giving me confidence. On the way back I went over everything with no issue..just had to dip my toe in the water but my bike got hella dirty.

A side not when I was out on the single track I had 2 different kids tell me "You can't bring that bike out here". They must have been 8 years old. The bike functioned fine it was really just the newbie rider. There is a video on YT Ebike Noob where he takes his RX PRO on single track and gives it a pretty good thrashing. It handles absolutely fine...meaning the fatbike. If you're an experienced MTBer you might be fine with the smaller tires. At my age I'm looking for comfort so having big huge tires is a bonus.

If I had the smaller tires I don't think the kids would have been saying "You can't bring that bike here". I was the only "kid" with the big fat tires. Maybe they were jealous. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I had an absolute blast yesterday on the RX Pro with the fat tires..and I was blowing by the MTBers..not that's it's a race..but they always turn their head like WTH? They'll be out on ebikes too as well it's just a matter of time.

The RX Pro is a tank. I went out for one of my longest rides yesterday and I'm not beat up..and guess what I'm going out again in about an hour after it finishes charging and I clean up some of the dirt.

Either one is going to be awesome!
You know I've changed tires twice, but was not smart enough to measure them when I could have. Sorry!

My old bike, which the wife has taken over, had 26x2" Marathons on it, and I loved everything about that bike - but I wanted to try the fat tire plan for a better ride. That bike seems like a compact now, and the new one an SUV. What I had not considered, was how tall these tires make the bike. Holy Cow! I'm 6'2" and I'm glad I orderd a medium sized bike! Even with the 3" tires on it, that's my biggest issue with it I think.

Point being, the RX with the bigger 27.5 rims, is still going to be a pretty big bike..... -Al
AHicks, I meant the rim itself, what is the wheel rim width? 100mm? thanks

To each their own, but I'd just pick the RX since it will be whole a lot more efficient.

Fat tires will cause massive rolling resistance (friction) from the road, in addition, more rotational mass.
yes, this is the dilemma, it is why my cf bike has 25mm tires, but the Rize will be used mostly off road.

I ride a 900lb Harley Electraglide, a 70lb ebike shouldnt be a problem.

I am in a dilemma - was going to get the RX Pro, but maybe I really don't need a fat bike, and am thinking the RX is a better match. You guys with the RX Pro, do you have any regrets getting the Pro? do you think the RX would suit you better now?
I live in Victoria, BC - it is very unlikely that I would ever be riding in snow, and I would not be riding on sand. There are lots of bicycle paths, both paved and dirt, but I already have a road bike for that. I am interested in a MTB type ebike for non technical trails and gravel roads, and there are lots of hills where I will be riding. I am 5'9 and 165 lbs.

edit: interesting, if you toggle between these two photos, you will see that the frame on the Pro is noticeably smaller, the height is the same cause of the big tires.

Your thoughts?
i can tell you why i chose an RX over the RX Pro,i already have a fat bike for sand and snow, its $100 cheaper and i could use that cash for accessories,it has a taller frame19in(at 6/3 a 17in is to small),its around 5lbs lighter,the 2.3in tire cause little rolling resistance, its a lil faster and more nimble than the pro. honestly either way you cant loose!

i can tell you why i chose an RX over the RX Pro,i already have a fat bike for sand and snow, its $100 cheaper and i could use that cash for accessories,it has a taller frame19in(at 6/3 a 17in is to small),its around 5lbs lighter,the 2.3in tire cause little rolling resistance, its a lil faster and more nimble than the pro. honestly either way you cant loose!
Yes I stand corrected on the ebike noob he has the Rize X. The rolling resistance argument I find a little funny. Maybe for the Tour De France it's important, but for ebikes? It's just not one of the variables I worry about.

I've got a second battery on the way so rolling resistance is just not something I think about. I get decent speed on the ebike with fat tires, but spin out going downhill. I'm tempted to get a bigger crank but don't want to lose the climbing ability so that would mean a cassette swap as well. Something to do perhaps later on depending on how things go. Riding in 5 is a dream.

Here is the video of Ebike Noob giving his Rize X the treatment.

Yes I stand corrected on the ebike noob he has the Rize X. The rolling resistance argument I find a little funny. Maybe for the Tour De France it's important, but for ebikes? It's just not one of the variables I worry about.

I've got a second battery on the way so rolling resistance is just not something I think about. I get decent speed on the ebike with fat tires, but spin out going downhill. I'm tempted to get a bigger crank but don't want to lose the climbing ability so that would mean a cassette swap as well. Something to do perhaps later on depending on how things go. Riding in 5 is a dream.

Here is the video of Ebike Noob giving his Rize X the treatment.
noob is awesome! hope he gets big enough to where companies send him bikes to review

I ride a 900lb Harley Electraglide, a 70lb ebike shouldnt be a problem.
Many years of big Honda's in my back ground. I wasn't talking about that kind of big. Tall may have been a better word, as in getting on and off it. At 70 years old, it makes a difference to me!

Agree, rolling resistance not in play. Not for me anyway. That said, the reduction in resistance when going from 4" to 3" didn't bother me at all!

One of my ebikes is a fat tire bike. Based on my experience, I prefer the narrower tires for most riding. I also prefer 27.5's over the 26"s. I did switch to Origin 8 tires on my fat bike for smoother riding and changed out to a solid front fork reducing a bout 7 pounds of weight. I would go with the standard RX over the RX Pro.

I chose the RX after initially ordering the RX Pro. The reason for the change was an honest analysis of my intended riding, which is mostly road, and the 6lb. weight savings. I have absolutely no need to be pushing those big tires around. I've put well over 300 miles on my RX and it's been a great bike.

Many years of big Honda's in my back ground. I wasn't talking about that kind of big. Tall may have been a better word, as in getting on and off it. At 70 years old, it makes a difference to me!

Agree, rolling resistance not in play. Not for me anyway. That said, the reduction in resistance when going from 4" to 3" didn't bother me at all!
26”x 3” tires are a rare item, looks like you have the only tire available. When you can, please measure your wheel width. thanks

The two bikes appear to be the same height according to the website, although with the 2” smaller frame in the Pro it appears the seat could go lower than the RX. Hard to believe the sizing is identical, the RX has a 19” frame, the RX Pro has a 17”.

Last edited:

AHicks, I know the RX Pro is a 17” frame vs 19” on the RX, but the Rize website says the standover height is identical. Are you saying the RX Pro is easier to mount? Personally I don’t believe the website cause they are using the RX fitting photo for both the RX and RX Pro. Maybe you guys with the RX and Pro could measure the standover height in inches.

Back