Rockstar owners

Cross-Up and others thanks for the comments and the diagram. To make this short, below is what I sent to Joshua at Sondors support. I think I damaged the piece that connects to the headset. Here is what I sent Joshua:
"Joshua,
Turns out the situation where I had some "play" in the Rockstar headset is not resolved yet. When I added larger spacers and tightened the cap screw the "play" went away, but the handle bar steering was way too tight. After looking very closely at the bottom piece (see picture from previous email) that is below the stem and the two spacers and joins the whole stem assembly to the headset, I saw that it has been bent/damaged some, so that the round rubber attachment does not fit correctly and snuggly. I probably damaged it during my efforts trying to take care of the "play". Bottom line, can I order this part and the companion rubber part, or a package that has both in it? Thanks for your help...
Here are pictures:"
In just a few minutes Joshua returned my email and to tell me he ordered a part already under warrenty.. Wow!!
If you look close you can see the damage to the piece.
View attachment 123783View attachment 123784
That’s a headset dust cap. Its really cheap, maybe a few bucks. The whole headset with the bearings is 12$..just ask for a dust cap

Still having problems with the play in my Rockstar headset. I either remove the play, but then the steering is way too tight, or loosen the steering but the play is back. ugh! During my effort to replace the stock stem with the 3rd party stem and greasing the head set I ended up with this part that I don't remember where it came from (see picture) . This could be the reason the steering is too tight and/or the play is present. Ideas anyone?
IMG_1590.jpg

Mentalist, or others, could you direct me to where I can purchase the whole headset ( just in case) for the Rockstar. On the parts page a search didn't find "Rockstar head set".

Also, regarding an issue from yesterdays ride, I had a stick get jammed into my derailleur which did lots of damage. When I searched for the "Rockstar Derailler" I found REAR DERAILLEUR - Rockstar for $69.99. I wonder if this includes ALL the SRAM NX 11 parts except, I'm thinking, the handle bar shifters and cables? The cassette and the chain may have been damaged, so that may have to be replaced. Thanks for any feedback.

Still having problems with the play in my Rockstar headset. I either remove the play, but then the steering is way too tight, or loosen the steering but the play is back. ugh! During my effort to replace the stock stem with the 3rd party stem and greasing the head set I ended up with this part that I don't remember where it came from (see picture) . This could be the reason the steering is too tight and/or the play is present. Ideas anyone?
View attachment 124537

Mentalist, or others, could you direct me to where I can purchase the whole headset ( just in case) for the Rockstar. On the parts page a search didn't find "Rockstar head set".

Also, regarding an issue from yesterdays ride, I had a stick get jammed into my derailleur which did lots of damage. When I searched for the "Rockstar Derailler" I found REAR DERAILLEUR - Rockstar for $69.99. I wonder if this includes ALL the SRAM NX 11 parts except, I'm thinking, the handle bar shifters and cables? The cassette and the chain may have been damaged, so that may have to be replaced. Thanks for any feedback.
You can order a new headset from sondors. You will need to contact customer support. It is not on the website. That is the shim that makes up the gap from steerer tube and top headset bearing. It is a critical part. That price is for rear derailleur only. I recommend getting the SRAM GX 11spd long cage less plastic parts.

Last edited:
View attachment 124537

r.lee - After replacing my stock stem with a shorter stem, I've experienced the same issue. There seems to be a trade-off between a little rattle in the headset and an inability to get full motion. I've settled for a slight rattle. Yes, that is an essential part you have pictured. Here's a video that will explain each part of the headset and its purpose.

r.lee in my latest video “Rockstar Rescue” a pro bike mechanic shows the process of removal and installation of that bearing race from an old fork to the new fork. Ha-now you have to watch one of my videos! Just kidding, I could care less. I’ve also bent the rear derailleur in another video and mentioned it in the “1000 mile review” my videos might be pure dogsh*t but there is actual help in them. -just fast forward the to part you need. Hope this helps.

Thanks much for that information on this part and the recommendation on the GX 11spd long cage. I don't know what I'm doing, since this is my first encounter with head sets. Is it possible to point out where this piece goes? I'm thinking from what you said it would be right below the head set dust cap mentioned above? Thanks.

Thanks much for that information on this part and the recommendation on the GX 11spd long cage. I don't know what I'm doing, since this is my first encounter with head sets. Is it possible to point out where this piece goes? I'm thinking from what you said it would be right below the head set dust cap mentioned above? Thanks.
👍Yes. Slide it on after the bearing and push it down. It will fill the small gap between the tube and inside bearing.

View attachment 124537

Make a ticket or call them to order.
lts
Headsets - LX/Cruiser/Rockstar1$34.99
but it comes with the bearings and the cups which you don’t need. The sizing is generic so alot of mtb headsets fit the same

View attachment 124537

That’s a compression ring. It goes ”into” the top bearing.
when tightening the top cap, make sure the stem is untightented. The top cap preloads the bearings by applying pressure to them, it shouldn’t be too tight. Tighten until you can’t move the spacers anymore with your hands and the wobble is gone. then tighten the stem (the stem is what holds everything at the end anyway)
I got a vid of a fork install which has the headset instructions

Last edited:
Mentalist, thanks for the video. I took my Rockstar to my LBS for work. I showed him the compression ring and he seemed to know exactly where it went. I gave it to him to fix the head set problem, although, even I could fix it now from the information you all provided, and now the video..... :)

Also, DeMedici. You recommended the "Sram GX 11-speed Rear Derailleur Long Cage 1x" instead of my current, broken, SRAM NX 11. My LBS said the GX-11 would not be shipped until maybe mid-August time frame from their supplier I assume. I found this one at this link: ( https://www.coloradocyclist.com/sra...m_term=1101002890933&utm_content=All Products ) , plus the image link: ( https://www.coloradocyclist.com/pub.../r/sram-gx-eagle-rear-derailleur-11-speed.png )which said it is "In Stock" for $115. Does this look like the one you recommended? Thanks r.lee

Mentalist, thanks for the video. I took my Rockstar to my LBS for work. I showed him the compression ring and he seemed to know exactly where it went. I gave it to him to fix the head set problem, although, even I could fix it now from the information you all provided, and now the video..... :)

Also, DeMedici. You recommended the "Sram GX 11-speed Rear Derailleur Long Cage 1x" instead of my current, broken, SRAM NX 11. My LBS said the GX-11 would not be shipped until maybe mid-August time frame from their supplier I assume. I found this one at this link: ( https://www.coloradocyclist.com/sram-gx-11-speed-rear-derailleur-long-cage-1x?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Product Ads(BSC)&utm_term=1101002890933&utm_content=All Products ) , plus the image link: ( https://www.coloradocyclist.com/pub.../r/sram-gx-eagle-rear-derailleur-11-speed.png )which said it is "In Stock" for $115. Does this look like the one you recommended? Thanks r.lee
Looks like it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V8RZE32?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 this is the one I got. You can have it by June 2nd.

Last edited:
DeMedici, I recieved, the new GX-11 derailleur you suggested and took it to my LBS to replace the broken NX-11. I also read some reviews of the GX over the NX that indicate the shifting is better/smoother and also that the GX is more robust. I will provide an update when I get my bike back.

DeMedici, I recieved, the new GX-11 derailleur you suggested and took it to my LBS to replace the broken NX-11. I also read some reviews of the GX over the NX that indicate the shifting is better/smoother and also that the GX is more robust. I will provide an update when I get my bike back.
Yes it does shift better. You will definitely like the upgrade.

Thanks to DeMedici and others that recommeded this upgrade: My new GX-11 derailleur is installed and works great. The shifting is more crisp and quick. Turned an accident with the NX-11 into a good upgrade.

Attachments

• IMG_1639.jpg
    IMG_1639.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 134
Also, thanks to all for the help regarding my headset "play" issue. The headset seems to have no play after the part was installed properly. :)

We’ll just turned over 300 miles, been riding it about 6-7 weeks and it’s been very impressive, no issues what so ever. All mods were very easy to install and have worked out great, 36 tooth chainring was a little to low for my liking so switched to a 38 tooth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 153
35 mile ride today, did a huge loop, 67% battery used. Climbed from the river valley in town to the top of coal mine hill, 1500’ elevation gain. The bike just doesn’t stop

Attachments

• D7C4F468-D464-435A-A3D2-ACDD16CB6EC1.jpeg
    D7C4F468-D464-435A-A3D2-ACDD16CB6EC1.jpeg
    409.2 KB · Views: 183
Back