Rockstar owners

So my rockstar had come with a broken fork from shipping and they finally got around to sending me a replacement fork. I had already purchased upgraded suspension so really didn’t need a replacement. It arrived this morning and to my surprise it was a Rockshox Judy front fork with lockout, definitely a much better fork than factory. Wondering if anyone else has been getting that fork or am I the only one?

Was wondering if anyone else has noticed that there is some play in the front stem/shaft when you apply the front brakes, when still, and then apply back and forth pressure to the bike? At first I thought it might be the front brakes allowing the play, but then I noticed the shaft coming from the stem was actually moving very slightly. I took it apart today to apply some lubricant (since someone had said there was none, or not enought, from the factory :) ) and put it back together. No matter how much I tightened the stem bolts the play was still present. Was wondering if this is common for the Rockstar, and was it something to be concerned about?

Was wondering if anyone else has noticed that there is some play in the front stem/shaft when you apply the front brakes, when still, and then apply back and forth pressure to the bike? At first I thought it might be the front brakes allowing the play, but then I noticed the shaft coming from the stem was actually moving very slightly. I took it apart today to apply some lubricant (since someone had said there was none, or not enought, from the factory :) ) and put it back together. No matter how much I tightened the stem bolts the play was still present. Was wondering if this is common for the Rockstar, and was it something to be concerned about?
Is this play at the headset?

Yes. Here:
F59EF34F-85D2-4AE5-B1FB-E03123FA98E3_1_105_c.jpeg

I had some play in mine when I first got my bike. Turned out being the compression ring not seated. It seats where the fork tube comes out of the head tube and the upper bearing. It's gotta be pushed all the way down. If you still have a problem, file a ticket on the Sondors web site for tech support . They have been fantastic on solving any problems

Howdy r.lee, I have had some rattling coming from that area and despite numerous attempts have not been able to resolve it. I have done as DeMedici and others advise by including 3-5mm of space between the steerer tube and the top of the stem/spacer. Apparently this is needed to ensure there’s enough space for the headset top cap to clamp down and pre-load the headset bearing. (see image) I'm not sure if this applies to your problem, but it may.

stem.jpeg

Thanks to all for taking time to provide the good information and pointers related to this issue. Sondors support also provided me feedback on spacer placement. Will work on getting spacers in the proper place(s) to relieve the problem. Thanks again, r.lee :).

Thanks to all for taking time to provide the good information and pointers related to this issue. Sondors support also provided me feedback on spacer placement. Will work on getting spacers in the proper place(s) to relieve the problem. Thanks again, r.lee :).

Great. If you don't mind, please share the information you received from Sondors. Thanks

7E19B02F-961F-4A55-9B18-C675DA7D4109_1_105_c.jpeg

Thanks again for the responese. Problem solved, no play. Picture of the cap in place with the new spacer, plus a picture with new spacer before adding the cap.This picture looks very similar to the one Webopus posted.

96DFE054-20DC-41AD-8ABC-F8F55072A1D1_1_105_c.jpeg

Here is the reply from Sondors Support:
"Thank you for reaching out to us.

It looks like the after market stem installed on the Rockstar is smaller than the original stem. This is causing the space between the headset and the top cap to be bigger and is creating the play. You will need to add an extra spacer to accommodate this after market stem to get rid of the play.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best,
Joshua
SONDORS Tech Support"

Here is the reply from Sondors Support:
"Thank you for reaching out to us.

It looks like the after market stem installed on the Rockstar is smaller than the original stem. This is causing the space between the headset and the top cap to be bigger and is creating the play. You will need to add an extra spacer to accommodate this after market stem to get rid of the play.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best,
Joshua
SONDORS Tech Support"
Great. Thanks. I've dealt with Joshua in the past and he's Johnny on the Spot with support solutions. Glad you were able to resolve it.

Update on my "play" issue. With the larger spacer the play was gone. However, I did not notice, at the time, that the handlebar steering was too tight and not effortless. When I loosened the cap screw the steering was better but the play came back some. Now I have a smaller spacer and have loosened the cap screw some but still have some steering tightness, and some play. I noticed that the black original round, rubber or plastic, insert was somewhat out of place and not fitting against the yellow headset assembly correctly. Too much pressure?? Anyway, may need to take it to the LBS or just live with a little play. All, thanks for your comments and input. I sure like my Rockstar.
Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 12.13.34 PM.png

Are you still running the stock forks? There is something wrong for sure. I'd also remove the forks and throw some grease on the upper and lower race bearings and work from the bottom up on the head set to make sure everything is seated properly

Here is an exploded diagram on the head set components

Attachments

• 50F53753-4F65-414C-9C2C-5F0C6435D038.gif
    50F53753-4F65-414C-9C2C-5F0C6435D038.gif
    69.8 KB · Views: 122
Cross-Up and others thanks for the comments and the diagram. To make this short, below is what I sent to Joshua at Sondors support. I think I damaged the piece that connects to the headset. Here is what I sent Joshua:
"Joshua,
Turns out the situation where I had some "play" in the Rockstar headset is not resolved yet. When I added larger spacers and tightened the cap screw the "play" went away, but the handle bar steering was way too tight. After looking very closely at the bottom piece (see picture from previous email) that is below the stem and the two spacers and joins the whole stem assembly to the headset, I saw that it has been bent/damaged some, so that the round rubber attachment does not fit correctly and snuggly. I probably damaged it during my efforts trying to take care of the "play". Bottom line, can I order this part and the companion rubber part, or a package that has both in it? Thanks for your help...
Here are pictures:"
In just a few minutes Joshua returned my email and to tell me he ordered a part already under warrenty.. Wow!!
If you look close you can see the damage to the piece.
6648B6BE-0567-4489-9FF7-5E346AA9EC5B_1_105_c.jpeg
76916BDE-D415-496B-9FEC-FC3561E1207D_1_105_c.jpeg

Back