Rockstar owners

I still find this a disappointing fact about the Rockstar: "However, SONDORS has decided not to push the motors to their full potential, instead operating them with a 25A limit that results in a nominal rating of 750W and a peak wattage figure in the low 1,000s."
If only they'd have put a 30A controller on it, like Frey, etc.
I agree they could have gone for the bigger controller but I'm not really upset about it. The way I see it, nobody that loves their Giant/Specialized/Haibike/Trek or whatever is ever complaining about not enough power and those bikes have nominal ratings of 250w and maybe peaks of 800w with torque ratings never exceeding 85nm.

They did do custom programming with Bafang so it's not just a parts bin motor. I am hoping the refinement in the tuning will outweigh the lower peak/nominal numbers.

I'll be sure to let you know when I get mine next month.

I agree they could have gone for the bigger controller but I'm not really upset about it. The way I see it, nobody that loves their Giant/Specialized/Haibike/Trek or whatever is ever complaining about not enough power and those bikes have nominal ratings of 250w and maybe peaks of 800w with torque ratings never exceeding 85nm.

They did do custom programming with Bafang so it's not just a parts bin motor. I am hoping the refinement in the tuning will outweigh the lower peak/nominal numbers.

I'll be sure to let you know when I get mine next month.
The powerband will still be much greater than its rivals but without the Finesse.
I believe sondors detuned it to 750w to accommodate USA laws and regulations. Which means it was not detune for refinement but regulation.
Because what I see in sondors, is not about the customer, but more so, the business aspect.
Which is understandable, until people have to wait a year for a bike and nobody at Sondors is giving honest reasons. totally unacceptable.
Sonders , shame on you the owner.
And to Micah, of EBR, it's been over eight months + , and not one Rockstar is expected to hit the ground until close to June .
And at that level, that would mean 12 to 14 months people have waited to get the first shipment of a Rockstar.
And those are people that paid for their bike IN FULL.
Horrible.
Terrible.
And if I am wrong on delivery dates, please, somebody let me know if you have received a rockstar or anticipate delivery before June.

Last edited:
The powerband will still be much greater than its rivals but without the Finesse.
I believe sondors detuned it to 750w to accommodate USA laws and regulations. Which means it was not detune for refinement but regulation.
Because what I see in sondors, is not about the customer, but more so, the business aspect.
Which is understandable, until people have to wait a year for a bike and nobody at Sondors is giving honest reasons. totally unacceptable.
And to Micah, of EBR, it's been over eight months + , and not one Rockstar is expected to hit the ground until close to June .
And at that level, that would mean 12 to 14 months people have waited to get the first shipment of a Rockstar.
Horrible.
Terrible.
And if I am wrong on delivery dates, please, somebody let me know if you have received a rockstar or anticipate delivery before June.
I believe that the Rockstar is on target to ship in Feb. I'm not in that batch, though.

Horrible.
Terrible.
No it appears there was an additional delay for the Rockstar that has no affected the LX and Cruiser which have been confirmed twice by Sondors as being at port and readied for final shipping to customers.

The Bafang is not being "detuned" to 750watts. Bafang offers a 750watt version of the Ultra motor. The tuning of PAS is what is completely custom to the Elite bikes. Sondors worked directly with Bafang on programming for a more refined ride.

No it appears there was an additional delay for the Rockstar that has no affected the LX and Cruiser which have been confirmed twice by Sondors as being at port and readied for final shipping to customers.

The Bafang is not being "detuned" to 750watts. Bafang offers a 750watt version of the Ultra motor. The tuning of PAS is what is completely custom to the Elite bikes. Sondors worked directly with Bafang on programming for a more refined ride.
Well that was would be great. I was under the impression all they did was detune to a 25 amp controller, but I believed it was detune to accommodate U.S.A.regulations. I was not aware that they did refine it.
that in itself is good news.
thank you for the heads up

Thanks. As I recall, Sondors said they worked with Bafang to tune their motor to their requirements.
My desire for the 1000watt version is pretty simple: I plan to ride on the street a lot too - more than on trails actually. Thus, I'd like to have the option of pushing the bike faster.
I'm glad the tiny snippet of 3rd party feedback from Electrek was pretty positive, all-in-all.

The LX has a problem too. Posted by Bruce Choate on the owners group;
"Just a heads up the ship containing the LX bikes is sitting off the coast by the Los Angeles port, it's been there since last week as the port is filled to capacity with over a million shipping containers. They were told last week, that it would be 21 days before entry."

"Just a heads up the ship containing the LX bikes is sitting off the coast by the Los Angeles port, it's been there since last week as the port is filled to capacity with over a million shipping containers. They were told last week, that it would be 21 days before entry."
Thanks. Can you provide a link to that owners group? Thx.

Hold my beer, it's time to inflate the dinghy.

I believe that if you're talking about the bafang m620 ( Ultra ).which is 1000 Watts nominal and 1500 to 1600 watt Peak output and comes with a 30 amp controller.take out the 30 amp controller and put in a 25 amp controller and reduce its output to 750 watts nominal, that is a D- tuning, yes they could have possibly refined it as well, but it's still a de- tune

I believe that if you're talking about the bafang m620 ( Ultra ).which is 1000 Watts nominal and 1500 to 1600 watt Peak output and comes with a 30 amp controller.take out the 30 amp controller and put in a 25 amp controller and reduce its output to 750 watts nominal, that is a D- tuning, yes they could have possibly refined it as well, but it's still a de- tune
Per Bafang the M620 is available to purchase with a 25amp OR a 30amp controller. Therefore having an Ultra with a 25amp controller is not a detune. It's just not the more powerful option. Putting a 20amp controller in would be detuning it.
Screenshot_20210116-151310.png

I mean it's just a simple search away.

Per Bafang the M620 is available to purchase with a 25amp OR a 30amp controller. Therefore having an Ultra with a 25amp controller is not a detune. It's just not the more powerful option. Putting a 20amp controller in would be detuning it.
View attachment 76867
I mean it's just a simple search away.
I have only known the bafang m620 as 1000 watt nominal, with 30 amp controller. that's how it's always been advertised any and everywhere I have seen it advertised for sale.
I get that it comes in different wattage configurations but its main base , Bafang Ultra 620 is a 1000 watt/nominal as a base model from Bafang. so any less than that to me is a detune ,that's my opinion.
and I am wrong at times, but bafang 620 Ultra base model is a 1000 Watts nominal .
as advertised from the factory.
Yes you can reconfigure in many different ways.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that someone will try to swap out the 25amp controller with a 30amp controller on the Rockstar and provide some programming instructions without costing a fortune. It would be nice to be able to beef it up to 1000w.

Increasing the power to the Rockstar is something that many are thinking about doing including myself. First we will have to see how good it performs in it's standard settings while keeping in mind that taking off the top edge of the peak power output is going to extend the life of the drive system.

I'm hoping that someone will try to swap out the 25amp controller with a 30amp controller on the Rockstar and provide some programming instructions without costing a fortune. It would be nice to be able to beef it up to 1000w.
Guys it's important to remember that this system from Sondors will be CANbus. Probably the first bikes to utilize CANbus on a Bafang motor. That means the motor, battery, screen, and shift sensor all communicate through dedicated CAN network lines. Simply swapping out for a higher amp controller will cause communication problems if that controller is not CANbus. This also means the current solution for programming Ultras with a basic cable and the readily available programming software is a NO GO. This will require a totally different cable and programming software. Check out what @pushkar is working on to remedy this.

Guys it's important to remember that this system from Sondors will be CANbus. Probably the first bikes to utilize CANbus on a Bafang motor. That means the motor, battery, screen, and shift sensor all communicate through dedicated CAN network lines. Simply swapping out for a higher amp controller will cause communication problems if that controller is not CANbus. This also means the current solution for programming Ultras with a basic cable and the readily available programming software is a NO GO. This will require a totally different cable and programming software. Check out what @pushkar is working on to remedy this
Thanks for the info. That's a bummer. Will have to look at Pushkar's potential solution.

Back