Rock Shox Paragon Air Suspension Fork For CC

youth

I was hoping to install this new air fork after the stock Suntour at some point collected enough water causing rust & cutting travel by half. But my CC is down atm due some electrical issue so I might wait till it's running again. It's a nice looking fork though & quite affordable at around $210. Should save a good amount of weight & increase performance.

https://imgur.com/a/p95nD

I replace the front end on my Trek XM700 with this same fork. Works great, looks sharp!

jeff
That's a nice upgrade. By chance any pics of the bike with the Rock Shox? I didn't like the stock suspension much when I test rode the XM700+ although I didn't have a chance to find out if it was adjustable. IMO, a suspension upgrade promotes the XM700+ from a really good bike to a great one.

Here are a few pictures of my bike.

Opps, wrong bike. Let me try that again.

jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 1,114
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 1,144
  • IMG_0561.jpg
    IMG_0561.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 1,015
Cool, let us know what you think once it's up and running. I have considered a similar type of upgrade but I need some confidence that it does a significantly better job of attenuating bumps in the road.

Youth,
Have you put the roch shox on you CC yet? If so, how do you like it? My crosscurent is my first ebike and I love it but really dislike the suntour shock. My last two mountain bikes had manatou fork and Rock Shock Judy forks and I miss them... Post pics!
Thanks,
Jared

Unfortunately my CC is still down atm so I haven't put the shock on yet. Already have Jeff up there saying it's great on his Trek so I'm sure it'll be just as good on the CC.

Got new controller installed making my CC work again so I decided to also put on the new fork at the same time. Works good along with the new throttle on this 22 mile test ride. Good option if you're not satisfied with the stock fork.
http://imgur.com/a/HB8HX

Edit: Just weighed the stock fork & wow it's over 800 grams heavier then the Rock Shox. That's nearly two pounds.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on how much better (if any) the Rock Shox is at smoothing out bumps, expansion joints etc?

Also, is there a way to mount your Blackburn fender on this fork?

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on how much better (if any) the Rock Shox is at smoothing out bumps, expansion joints etc?

Also, is there a way to mount your Blackburn fender on this fork?

Here's with the fender just installed. Had a first sport mode commute today on the crappy broken roads here & the fork soaked up the little stuff with ease while softening the bigger hits very well.

Nearly have the thing running fairly smooth now. All that's left is to find out what's causing the snapping noise from the crank area & install some sort of plate or guide so the chain doesn't occasionally jump to the inside.

20170612_232359.jpg 20170612_232548.jpg

All that's left is to find out what's causing the snapping noise from the crank area & install some sort of plate or guide so the chain doesn't occasionally jump to the inside.

I use a Shimano Shadow Plus derailleur on my CC. It has a clutch to prevent chain slap. Chain slap can cause the chain to jump off the front chain ring if you hit a big enough bump. A chain guide might also fix it. You can try changing the bottom bracket to fix the noise from that area.

I use a Shimano Shadow Plus derailleur on my CC. It has a clutch to prevent chain slap. Chain slap can cause the chain to jump off the front chain ring if you hit a big enough bump. A chain guide might also fix it. You can try changing the bottom bracket to fix the noise from that area.

I'll have to look into this Shadow Plus. Sound like the solution for slack in the CC's 1x drivetrain. I thought it might be the BB after tightening my cranks, but it seems it was the chainring bolts that were not tight enough.

CCS owners, do not forget that the stock fork has adjustable spring tension.

And if it is adjusted to float the load, it works pretty well! It's just heavy!

Until I learned to adjust my bike's NCX, it did very little shock absorbing.

The spring was preloaded much too strong.

Also, for preservation, it is really helpful to frequently wipe the chrome tube portions with an oily cloth, per Suntour maintenance directions, to keep the seals lubricated and reduce scoring of the tubes and wear to the plastic guide bushings inside.

Also, there are two, tiny plastic plugs covering two unused screw holes on the black tube portion. Water will get in there if the plugs are missing and water ingress will begin ruining the fork with corrosion.

I hose my bike off, spray the chrome tube area with the hose to get off the sand, and the wipe with an oily cloth, per the Suntour maintenance directions. I do this almost every other day because I ride daily. Cleanliness really keeps a bike newer longer.

The NCX damps well and soaks up much of the worst of road bumps for 170lb-me when I set to sag generously, about 1/3 or 1/2 of its travel, however,

I would like to own a Rock Shox instead!

And I will, someday, thanks to Youth's creation of this thread. I am sold on any upgrade. An air suspension shock is a lighter and more interesting device than a coil spring suspension. (thanks, Youth!) An air shock is much more complicated and unforgiving of neglect. I am definitely going to get an air shock because it works better and looks better and is more intricate and delicate. Hey! I make my living taking care of very intricate pianos. Good things require more care. And if we are able to give them the care they need, go for it. Good stuff is worth it because it makes our lives more pleasant and fun!

Last edited:
Also, for preservation, it is really helpful to frequently wipe the chrome tube portions with an oily cloth, per Suntour maintenance directions, to keep the seals lubricated and reduce scoring of the tubes and wear to the plastic guide bushings inside.
@Reid I use a lightweight lithium grease aerosol spray for some firearms maintenance tasks. Think that would work? Otherwise, oily cloth it is.

@Reid I use a lightweight lithium grease aerosol spray for some firearms maintenance tasks. Think that would work? Otherwise, oily cloth it is.
Gosh, yes, Bruce, any lubrication will work great to keep the seal working optimally and ward off rust from the chrome plated steel tube, rust that would quickly eat the seal lip.

I guess Suntour advocates an oily cloth wipe because that wiping off of grit is something they want done.

I find that a light oil gets pretty much washed away, your grease will be more lasting. But too, a light oil does not so much glue the grit to the tube. The garden hose flushes off the worst of the grit and the oily cloth (I use synthetic ATF as a general household oil) is just quick and easy to do every other day or so.

Last edited:
And I will, someday, thanks to Youth's creation of this thread. I am sold on any upgrade. An air suspension shock is a lighter and more interesting device than a coil spring suspension. (thanks, Youth!) An air shock is much more complicated and unforgiving of neglect. I am definitely going to get an air shock because it works better and looks better and is more intricate and delicate. Hey! I make my living taking care of very intricate pianos. Good things require more care. And if we are able to give them the care they need, go for it. Good stuff is worth it because it makes our lives more pleasant and fun!

I actually neglected maintenance on the Rock Shox too & this is the result. Rust developing beneath the seals where it's in contact with a foam internal wiper. There seems to be corosion inside the leg too near that spot, but I can't tell how much. Fork is still functional.

AH, Youth, it is as you now know, a matter of giving much greater care when the parts are more high strung by nature, more delicate.

High quality does not always mean low maintenance. High quality may require delicate care well worth the trouble.

"...deep buried in here is a verge with two teeth..."

Last edited:
Back